Topic

Shoulder strap pocket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoulder strap pocket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

I'm trying to figure out a simple way to carry my iPhone or camera on my shoulder strap, easily within reach but still protected. Has anybody used an unslackpack? Are there other options, such as an easy myog project?

Thanks, y'all

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

Some other cottage industry companies carry similar items such as MLD, Zimmerbuilt & Zpacks. If price isn't an option, these are proven true or they wouldn't sell them.

However, if you like MYOG and are half way decent at it, it wouldn't be too hard. You could make a stuff sack out of your material of choice, with a zipper at the top or along the front of the stuff sack instead of a drawstring closure. Or you could even use the drawstring closure instead of a zipper.

The trickiest part is keeping the pocket in place on the strap. First, you want install a closure system that will go around the strap, such as a strip of velcro or small webbing with a snap. That will hold down the bounce factor. Then you want to keep it from sliding down your strap. If your pack uses a sternum strap, a 2nd strip of velcro or webbing parallel to the first (one above the sternum strap and one below when in use) could work. Or, you could do something similar to the above referenced sellers and have a clip that would attach to your strap.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I have one and its pretty cool- but it's BIG, and a little unwieldy. You might also want to look at ZPacks' shoulder strap pocket, or similar designs from MLD and Simblissity. That's my favorite, though it's pretty tight for my iPhone and GPS. Good luck and have fun!

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

I've attached a small stuff sack on the shoulder strap.

I use a small attaching carabiner connecting the D ring and closing cord on top.

On the bottom – I put a small button inside the sack and wrapped a cord around the button on the outside, then attaching it to the shoulder strap so the sack doesn't bounce around.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

i put my normal camera case on the sternum strap. easy to reach, doesn't bounce unless i run, easy to remove and put away if it rains.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/Long%20Trail%202012/IMG_0520.jpg

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

You guys are good! Lots of options. I was thonking about it last night, and maybe all I really need is an iphone case that clips onto my sternum strap. But….$80 for the Lifeproof case and another $30 for the belt strap??

That's more than my whole backpack cost!

I could put my phone in a ziploc, then put it inside some rubbery/placticky/leathery case with a belt loop stitched to the back. Loop that to my sternum strap and call it a day. Any iPhone specific cases that would do this well?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/flipout could be interesting. and cheap

Jan S

@karl-ton

For waterproofing: http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-phone-cases/micro-whanganui-waterproof-case-iphone-4-098.html

Other make similar bags (including Cascade Designs I think), but you get the idea. You should be able to attach this to any strip with two pieces of shock cord like a water bottle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools