Topic

North Carolina hiking season?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips North Carolina hiking season?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

What's the weather typically like in the Linville Gorge area in early October?
    Temps? Precipitation? Bugs?

Is this a good time to consider a trip?

edit- oops, wrong forum

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Its typically a great time time to be there. Like most places, temperatures and precip can vary. But I would say October is about perfect for Linville Gorge and most other NC trips. Temps will likely be above or near freezing at night and maybe 60s during the day. Bugs likely won't be a problem. October is probably the lowest precipitation month for that area, but rains seem to always be possible there.

Its a pretty area. I hope you enjoy it.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks, man. Exactly what I needed.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did a trip there in October a couple of years ago. Its pretty typical NC; and I mean that in a good way. The trails down into the gorge are pretty steep and rough. Its pretty lush and green. There are not a lot of big flat areas for camp, but we managed fine with 2 person tarps. It seemed a bit less crowded than the Smokies or Pisgah too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools