Topic

Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don’t eat otherwise?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don’t eat otherwise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?

For me it's chocolate and potato chips. I was on a weekend trip with a friend once and he pulled out a can of Pringles. I normally don't eat potato chips but they tasted awfully good on that trip and I've taken them many times on short trips. I also don't eat chocolate unless I'm backpacking. I take a Hershey's bar or a couple of Reese's Peanut Butter cups for each night of every trip. And I add M&Ms to trail mix even if it has them already.

And I'm not talking about things that I avoid for the health factor. I just don't have any desire to eat them unless I'm backpacking. Anybody else do this?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Ramen (as a pre-dinner soup – the "good stuff"), hot chocolate, bagels, candy bars, jerky, and various trail mixes/GORP-type stuff. Plus the occasional Mountain House.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Pop tarts with Nutella.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Salami
    Coffeemate
    Raman noodles, toss the packs. The noodles are handy.
    Hard liqour
    Dirt,bugs and wood ash also.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Spam
    Granola bars dipped in Nutela
    GORP
    Nutela straight from the jar

Edit – Oh and 3500+ calories a day of anything

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Pasta sides, instant potatoes, nutella from the jar (well.. sometimes at home haha), Nutty bars, Nido (on cereal for breakfast)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For me its summer sausage, porridge and dehydated meals.

I also only drink hot chocolate, packet soup and whiskey on trips.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Chicken–a vile, filthy bird that makes for tooth-sticking meat gnawed off greasy bones. I can't stand it. But among the dehydrated options, chicken-based sludge is often better than the other sludge.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Just about everything.

I stick to a whole foods/paleo diet at home. Backpacking falls under the category of "road rules". Love a big bowl of pasta in the evenings, and a giant diner breakfast or dinner (or both) on the way home.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

"Combos" — pretzel outside, faux-cheese inside. Such a revolting product, even Walmart doesn't stock them, so you have to get 'em at a gas station! At home, these would sound like a punishment; at the bottom of Grand Canyon, in the near-100F heat, these taste great!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I eat butter. I mean I just take a stick of butter and chow down. The taste is pretty neutral for me and it gives me fuel for cold nights.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Almost everything I eat while backpacking is food I hardly ever eat at home: cured meat, cheese in general, lots of sweets, bad coffee, Mac and cheese etc.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Fresh non-stocked trout!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nah, I eat the same at home. I even eat Mountain House at home when my wife is gone because that is all I know how to cook — and the good folks at McDonald's know me by name and my wife can check with them to make sure I didn't eat there 3 times a day, so I have to mix it up between MH, McDonald's and Del Taco.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

""Combos" — pretzel outside, faux-cheese inside. Such a revolting product, even Walmart doesn't stock them, so you have to get 'em at a gas station! "

get the PB filled pretzels that Walmart and Job-lot DO carry :) so much better than Combos. I eat those on and off the trail. 130cal/oz and hold up well in the pack.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I would say that the differences in what I eat on trail or at home (not counting specific trail meals) has to do with caloric intake and burn, thus I am more likely to justify high calorie sweets on trail while I have a hard time justifying them while sitting on my butt all day at work.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Fresh porcini mushrooms, if I'm lucky.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I love pop tarts but they are always getting crushed. I need to find some kind of pop tart protector container.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I find it revolting under normal circumstances, but on the trail mixed with other things, it's tolerable. Plus, all that sodium. Mmmmmm.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

And maltodextrin.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

In the winter and on super cold nights that either push or destroy my sleeping system, i buy Hersheys bars and eat one whenever i wake up cold, usually around 4 am. I thinks it helps out a lot. Other then those times, i rarely eat chocalate.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Pretty much EVERYTHING I can't eat when I'm back in the world.

I eat paleo so all this food makes me sick and fat over time.

but when I"m in the woods it really isn't a problem and I've gotten pretty good at cutting back to regular foods after a trip.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Pretty much everything I pack to go camping is something I don't eat normally:
    -freeze dried meals
    -Instant mash potato singles
    -Instant hot chocolate
    -Starbucks Via
    -Slim Jims

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I eat paleo, too, but I bring my paleo food backpacking because it's so damn good.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools