Topic

REI Revel CLoud jacket vs. Patagonia Nano Puff /

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Revel CLoud jacket vs. Patagonia Nano Puff /

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Can someone weigh in on this I am looking at adding one or the other to my gear but really like the Revel Cloud.
    Pros/Cons

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

This is just hearsay but from my time working at REI I had one customer come in and exchange the Revelcloud for the Nano Puff. He said he was wearing his Revelcloud and his buddy a Nano Puff and he felt colder than his friend did.

I believe the Primaloft Eco used in the Revelcloud is less efficient for warmth than the Nano Puff.

That said, I own a few Revelcloud vests and two Nano Puff jackets and love them all… I couldn't compare the vests to the jackets though…

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

price and fragility…compare those 2 factors of both.Then try fit.I wouldnt pay $200+ for the np-totally ridiculous.The fit and warmth of my downsweater is way better than my np.Lots of people swear by the np but not me.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Dave

Thanks for the advice cold you give detail of your down sweater? That sounds interesting

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

You should try both the np and ds for fit and feel as they are sized and cut differently.My medium np is tight in the shoulders and arms and loose in stomach whereas my ds fits perfect.The np is better for getting wet or sweating in-i live in a dry climate.The patagonia sweater is a lot warmer for me.I cant see the np keeping me warm below 50deg.I found a merrell opti warm jacket with synth insulation at the thrift for 10$ and it is warmer,way more durable than the np and just slghtly bulkier than my np.
    Anyway, my skeptical take on the np is unique as millions swear by it.I wont be taking my ds on any trips either because if it catches one branch it will rain feathers.I will be taking my big puffer and merrell synth on my trips from here on in.That combo in addition to my baselayers/rain hardshell will cover me for all conditions in the Sierra.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The only synthetic garment fill I'd consider at this time is Climashield, for its loft durability after repested compression cycles.

Yes, Primaloft has evolved considerably over the years since the first generation hit the market. But I feel Climashield has a bit of a loft durability edge based on firsthand observations.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a RevelCloud vest and Nanopuff jacket. My impression is that the Revelcloud fabric is slightly more breathable and has a bit more loft— all quite subjective and older versions.

I would check both for loft and breathability at the store if possible. My guess is that they are pretty close. I'll bet your personal preference in cut and fit would be the deciding factor.

Trying to compare differences in apparent warmth between two people is a quagmire. The only way to nail that down is with impirical evidence, just like rating sleeping bags.

I see that REI has the Revelcloud hoodie on sale in xl and xxl. 6pm.com has some Nano Puff jackets for $110.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Primaloft Eco is around ~70% as warm as primaloft one for a given weight of insulation (67%-75% depending on moisture).

So for identical jackets/vests with just different insulation the Nano-puff will feel warmer. Design, materials, construction, and fit will all contribute to warmth differently.

As others have mentioned though these fabrics are less durable than some climashield products (primaloft focuses on a technology that values warmth over durability while climashield reverses the priority of those constraints). There are also a lot of proprietary insulations out there that have really advanced (Dane at coldthistle blog is convinced MBs exceloft is the warmest out there per weight and he's got a ton of field experience with synthetics). Both the MB exceloft and MHW Thermic micro are supposed to be seeing major improvements to their warmth/weight this upcoming year while increasing durability in the process.

Basically the point is that weight of insulation is still a good general rule of thumb. Any 60g/m layer will suffice for conditions where you want 60g/m warmth. Some may be a little lighter or warmer than others but you'll be adequately (not necessarily comfortably) warm for the conditions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools