Topic

Alcohol Storage Container – GoGo Squeez?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol Storage Container – GoGo Squeez?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

My daughters love these:

GoGo Squeez Container

Empty, washed out, and dried they weigh 5 grams with the cap and hold 90ml of liquid.

Has anyone used these to carry alcohol for their stove? I filled one with denatured alcohol and let it sit for a week and it doesn't explode when I squeeze it gently so I don't think it will be a problem, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has any experience with them.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Can you re-introduce unused fuel back into it? Also the issue of having to wear sunglasses when purchasing those for us kidless folks.:)
    Duane

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Seems reasonable. My biggest concern is that you mark it apropriately as to not take a swig of it by mistake.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

My favorite storage container is from Vargo Outdoors (link below). It has clear markings for fluid oz and holds up to 8oz.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/backpacking-stoves/alcohol-fuel-bottle.html#.UV2iYVexvcQ

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Randy…What type of marker do you use on the container AND does it "hold up" to the alcohol?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Get some "Mr Yuk" stickers to put on any container with fuel In it.

Mr Yuk

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

That is a neat bottle. I wish it was clear. I like to quickly see how much fuel is left.
    -Barry

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Has anyone used these to carry alcohol for their stove?"

I tried this last year, and it worked. The mouth is very narrow, and that makes it slightly inconvenient for filling or refilling. Some of these food products have an oversized plastic cap to make them more childproof, but you can break away 80% of the plastic to make a normal cap like the photo shows.

I didn't feel as though this flexible container would be terribly durable. You would need to squeeze the air out of it and then pad it with something for transport. That isn't difficult.

A standard transparent or white plastic fuel bottle seems more practical.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I use them for creamy peanut butter.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

OK, Gary, I give up. How do you get the peanut butter into them?

You must have a titanium syringe.

–B.G.–

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Seriously dangerous with kids around. Bad enough with adults.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the replies. I calculated that I need exactly the 90 ml for my upcoming trip so I'm going to give carrying this a shot. It fits in my pot with the stove so it won't be mixed up with my food (I'm not carrying any of these as food anyway).

When I'm in the field I don't snuff my stove and pour unused back into the container. I know I can boil a pint of water with my 12-10 (Caldera Cone) with 16 ml of alcohol so I usually pour in closer to 18 to make sure and haven't had a problem. I just let it burn out.

I'll also point out that I'm not one who needs a hot drink in the morning. I use my stove only to heat water for my evening meal or for an occasional hot breakfast. I have a three-night trip coming up next weekend and have to light my stove only four times:

• Dinner, night 1 (12 ounces of water, 15 ml alcohol)
    • Breakfast, day 2 (9 ounces of water, 14 ml alcohol)
    • Dinner, night 2 (16 ounces of water, 18 ml alcohol)
    • Dinner, night 3 (16 ounces of water, 18 ml alcohol)

I like to carry 25 ml "extra" alcohol on a trip over what I calculate I'll use to allow for a little spillage or extra fuel needed for cold water or wind. The 90ml GoGo Squeez couldn't have worked out any better: 65 + 25 = 90

I'll post back on this thread how it goes after my trip.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Here is the thing you need, Bob:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoject-Curved-412-Syringes-5pcs/dp/B007Y8230G

Cut half the syringe tip off to make the opening bigger.

I warm up the peanut butter in the microwave to thin it, then use a Popsicle stick to load the syringe, put the plunger in place, and squirt the goods into the container. It takes several syringe loads to fill up the GoGo, and you have to tap the bottom of the container to get the peanut butter to settle to the bottom, and then I purge air for the next syringe load. When done, it's a sweet way to carry 3-4 oz. of peanut butter. It's a fairly messy job to fill the containers, but it's only a once-a-year thing, and of course the shelf life is great.

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Locale: South West

just fill with alcohol

This is my personal choice. Mostly due to cheapness and how easy it is to find.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Gary, I guess you know that they sell peanut butter in foil and plastic pouches. That could save you a lot of work unless you are loading your own custom homemade peanut butter.

–B.G.–

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Ken, on the opposite of the bottle are pre-marked ounce indicators.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

But some meals (like Asian noodle concoctions) only require a small amount of peanut butter, not a whole pack of Justin's. The GoGo allows me to dispense only what is needed. And it's not work at all. I just wait for an all-day December blizzard and play in the kitchen, fiddle-geek that I am.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake
    Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

I have used the above container for alcohol. The only shortcoming is dispensing, as the flow is a bit much. I've found a restrictor that works.
    It doesn't need to be transparent, as the volume of the squeezy indicates the contents. I don't care about measuring marks either, as I know how full I have to fill my stove for a given meal.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Looking good. Their 8 oz flask is good for alcohol.
    Any info on their weight?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

the nalgene type containers with flip top lid (the quality ones, not coughlans) are about the best, but slightly heavy, and hard to come by.

the containers lemon juice comes in at the grocery store work well too. Small spout which pours accurates, screw on cap which seals tightly.

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

"Looking good. Their 8 oz flask is good for alcohol.
    Any info on their weight?"

9.6 grams by my scale.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I found these at my local walmart the other day and thought, they might be great for something but couldn't find a use for it in my own kit. Maybe because I've yet to convert to alky stoves.

capri sun bottle

It's a bit hard to see but it holds 11.2 oz, bot sure of the weight of the bottle, don't have a good scale right now. As it's meant to hold liquid the seal is pretty tight. I filled it with water and squeezed pretty hard with no loss of containment. the nozzle is pretty small, about the size of the outer diameter of a hydration hose.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

nice!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've used the apple sauce packet for fuel alcohol storage. In fact I have a partially full one sitting in my gear room to test for leaks. Yes, it would be nice to see how much is left, but, if you premeasure you're fuel before the trip and measure at each burn you should be ok.

Regarding the Rum Runner, I purchased some 8oz flasks a few years ago and have used them successfully with drinkable alcohol, but for denatured alcohol (Sunnyside brand) the plastic will slowly decay. After my first trip with using one as a fuel storage flask, the plastic was becoming milky. It could have been my brand of fuel which cased the problems, but I would not risk it on a trip.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools