Topic

Swappin’ Out My Shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Swappin’ Out My Shorts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

Locale: Northeast

Okay, Gents. I've been hiking for years in lightweight, quick drying shorts with a sewn in bathing suit type liner. For the most part they've worked out great. However, in humid or wet conditions I can get some serious chafing from the liner, especially when walking a lot of miles. I think I'm going to move away from these shorts, but need some advice on what has worked well for you. I'm still focused on lightweight and quick drying…probably something with a built in belt (but not essential). Also, if you've had great luck with a particular type of wicking boxer briefs, do tell.

Thanks

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Kilt.

Kommando.

REI (is that a word?).

Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

I get sense I'll recognize you if I see you in the Whites!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Have you tried using Sportslick or Body Glide? I also hike in running shorts and get chafing in humid weather but find that Sportslick works really well for me. I just put a little bit on in the morning and it normally lasts all day.

Another option you might not have considered is cutting the liner out of your shorts and wearing wicking underwear instead. Then you retain the part about the shorts that you like and get rid of the part you don't like.

Adam

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I can't wear those either. Brooks makes a running short with a boxer brief style liner that is awesome though. Don't know the model name but I found it at REI

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I took the Mountain Hardwear running shorts (like 3oz) and cut the liner out, and I use Smartwool Briefs instead.

The Smartwool wicks and never smells, and the MH shorts are thin, light, and comfortable.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I've had good luck with the Target C9 performance boxer briefs (the 100% synthetic not the cotton blend); as well as the Terramar body sensors. I like the fit of the Terramar a bit better but the C9 are fine and easily available.

Those with any lightweight synthetic shorts work just fine – I've never been overly fond of the mesh liners when working out or exercising or hiking for the same reason as mentioned and find the boxer brief/shorts combo to be the best option.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I apply a little bodyglide down there.

Also, like others said, cutting out the liner and instead using a pair of wicking boxer briefs can work well.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out the prAna Mojo shorts. I'm surprised they don't get more attention with hikers. They have a long inseam, basic pockets, and a simple elastic waistband that keeps the bulk and complexity to a minimum. About 7oz.

Ex Officio, REI, and the Champion C9 briefs work for me.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

+1 on exofficio give-n-go. They're expensive for a pair of boxer-briefs but around 95% of people that have tried them admit they're 5 star underwear and end up buying more pairs (on sale usually).

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

WWDCD = What Would Dave Chenault Do? After, ahem, "liberating" the idea from Dave, I bought a pair of Patagonia Stretch Wavefarers. These are great shorts. The design is simplicity: a little stretch, one simple small zippered pocket on the leg if needed, drawstring closure at the waist. They dry fast and are super durable.

The cons are the initial expense (not cheap for shorts but these should last YEARS) and weight (compared to a running short w/ liner). I think mine are a little over 6 oz but the coverage is longer than running shorts. I'm usually wearing underwear and either long pants or these shorts (with shell layer and midlayer to match) depending on the trip. I know skin-out weight is important, but I'm never going to regret the 2-3 oz on my lower body for comfort.

Btw, you can find these on sale (especially closeout colors) with patience.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I REALLY like the REI brand running shorts. They fit just right, above the knees but not short short. They dry fast and have held up very well to bushwacking and scraping on abrasive rocks.

Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

Thanks to everyone for your insight and opinions. As usual, it was another worthwhile discussion that helped out a lot.

Jeff

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I spend 80% of all my backpacking time in shorts and so I have a particular fixation on what works and what I need.
    ** It must have a drawstring tie and no belt loops or plastic NF style buckles to interfere with the hipbelt.
    ** It must have two front pockets for snacks, camera, watch, paper towel.
    ** Instep must be around 7 inches and no longer or shorter—regular size.
    ** Must have mesh liner like with swim trunks.
    ** Must be light and dry quickly.

My old pair of North Face Flight shorts died a good death and then it turns out of course that NF discontinued the model. Instead they make the Agility which is as good or better and fits all the criteria.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I usually wear a pair of under armor boxer briefs. If I dont I will have a rasberry on the inside of both my thighs. But its not like I wear them only cause I have to, they breath really well, I like to swim in them and the dry really really fast. Way faster than amy swim suits I've ever had. I wear those and a pair of exificiio(spelling?) pant short things.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

With odor management, silk and merino wool are significantly better than synthetics. Plus, what's actually happening there is the prevention of microbial growth, which means your sensitive areas stay healthier using these fabrics.

Call me crazy, but I give Ex-Officio a 2/5 star review. The pockmarked surface was irritating if I had to sit in a bike seat or walk long distances, and they just wouldn't stop riding up. That could also be because I have cycling thighs… but they weren't comfortable at all. Much happier in Smartwool.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Liner-less lightweight shorts, boxer briefs, wipes to clean and powder. A couple of minutes of works, hour of pain free.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Lose the shorts, stay away from the girlie-looking MHW kilt/SKIRTS and just go old school with a Stillwater Kilts Thrify Kilt (under $50.00 and good from 10 degrees to 80 degrees IMHO):
    http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/swkthrifty-kilts.html

And then you can afford a custom enLIGHTened Equipment hiking sporan!

kilt

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

While I love the kilt idea. The problem for me is I don't want my wardrobe to be a source of conversation. You know,hearing the same stupid comments over and over. I just want to hike. I wear long pants all the time hiking anymore. Keeps my legs prettier.

Some Pati boxer briefs to go with, I'm fine.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Spandex compression shorts of your choice. No chafe, no how, no way. Easy to rinse and don't smell terribly bad. Though if anyone has a line on merino compression shorts drop it here. I tried SW microweight boxer briefs a size too small and they still rode up and were useless.

A W

@lost_01

"wipes to clean and powder"

…what am I missing here?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Mesh liners have never worked for me. Patagonia LW capilene (now Cap 2) boxer briefs have, going on a decade now. The Ex Officos are ok, but IME don't wick or dry as fast (nylon v. poly). Merino is fine but dries slower and doesn't give any substantive benefit (see below).

Krud's post of chafing is an excellent one, especially the part about cleaning yourself daily. If the weather will suck, wet wipes are worth the weight here.

If I'm hiking hard for more than 12 hours at a stretch I usually need some body glide to keep crack chafing at bay. This need goes away further into hiking season as things get leaned out and toughened up. The single use packets create more packaging, but are really convenient.

I like the longer, Patagonia board shorts for hiking due to the extra sun and brush protection. The stretch ones are really nice, while the non-stretch ones are cheaper, a bit more durable and come in garish prints. Stocked up on these when they went on closeout this winter. The real king feature here is the low profile waistband and drawstring closure, which is very secure, comfy, stays put under all conditions, and most importantly doesn't create any pressure points under a waistbelt. Wish they made pants with the same design, though wearing the board shorts over tights is always stylish.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

Chafing has always been an issue for me too. Last year, I discovered trail running shorts. Basically, they're a slightly longer short with a semi-compression type liner [think boxer brief]. Super comfy and zero chafing. Solomon makes some good ones. I'm quite partial to the Arc'teryx Incendo – amazing short. It's lightweight and fine if you don't require large amounts abrasion resistance from rock or bush-whacking.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools