Topic

Looking for hiking buddie(s) in Victoria, Australia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for hiking buddie(s) in Victoria, Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Hi all,

As I've got more and more into backpacking in the past couple of years, I've found that I am increasingly unable to find friends to go hiking with at the level I want to do it at (most would prefer car camping or short, traditional hikes).

I'd love to know if there are any people here living around Melbourne or Victoria who'd join me on some weekenders/multi-day trips.

I'm basically interested in covering good distances, getting to more remote areas, trying out new systems/pursuits (eg packrafting/tenkara), learning off others – basically everything that makes BPL tick.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Philip

Victoria has a lot of Bushwalking Clubs. An excellent place to start.

Cheers

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

I had considered it, but was turned off by personal prejudice (for some reason I just imagined them as places for traditional walking/camping styles, reinforced by all the small, easy walks listed on their websites and the simple geekness of being part of a "walking club").

Perhaps I'll look into it, I'm sure it's as good a place to meet people as any.

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Not really inspired by what I see – Melbourne Walking Club only allows men to be members, women can come as visitors?!? http://www.melbournewalkingclub.org/

It's the kind of antiquated overly trad bushman vibe I had feared.

Roger, have you any recommendations of clubs?

Anna T

@anzt

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Hi Philip,

I'm involved with this crew: http://www.meetup.com/Geographically-Challenged-Adventures/

Good bunch of people, and they do a varied range of walks, including pack hikes and long/challenging hikes – just changes from trip to trip. I'll be leading some more challenging hikes coming up, hopefully, including some winter trips.

Feel free to check us out (no requirements for membership other than not being an idiot, having a modem, and showing up on time with the right gear) :)

Anna

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Thanks Anna, that looks more what I'm after. Unfortunately it is closed to new members, but perhaps if I knock loudly enough they'll let me in ;)

Anna T

@anzt

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Sorry, I didn't realise that registrations had closed. Have a poke around Meetup – lots of Melbourne hiking groups available!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Philip

Start at http://www.bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/: that's the Vic umbrella body for clubs.

Men only???? Dinosaurs.

Cheers

turbotortoise 2
    BPL Member

@turbotortoise2

Locale: Tasmania

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hijack this topic – haven't sorted myself out yet on this site and need to contact you. Could you please check your inbox on the Aussie site? Hope you know the one. Thanks heaps.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Holy cow, are they stuck in 1894?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools