Topic

New Balance 889 Multisport Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable New Balance 889 Multisport Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> That Vibram sole has zero traction (when new at least) on tile floors, be careful.

I don't think the Vibram rubber is designed for tile floors.

Cheers

Jon McConachie
    BPL Member

@c-137

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I've used my NB 889s now a handful of times on granite, even polished, without them feeling slick. The rubber may not be climbing shoe sticky rubber, but it does grip well in my experience. Not bad on wet surfaces either. Good shoe.

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Where do these fall on the backpacking/hiking to actual trail running spectrum? I'm looking for something with heftier soles for rocky terrain hiking/backpacking. I'm currently looking at the La Sportiva Wildcat and Salomon AX Pro Ultra. NBs generally fit my feet well, should i consider these for my needs as well?

Thanks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Where do these fall on the backpacking/hiking to actual trail running spectrum?
    Definitely on the serious backpacking end of the spectrum. 'heftier soles for rocky terrain' is an exact match for them.

If you want something a little more towards trail running, try the 'Leadville' 1210s – we have a review coming for them as well.

Cheers

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Sounds like the 889s have a lot of potential for me. I'll check them out soon. Thanks!

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Just used the 889 shoes for a week long backpack in Yellowstone and they were exceptionally poor performers for the conditions. Lots of stream/river crossings and they retain tremendous amounts of water and do not dry. Spent a lot of time squeezing them out and trying to blot water out of the inside with a towel but they still immediately soaked even dry socks and stayed wet (not damp) virtually the entire time. They seem to work well in the dry Colorado conditions where I normally hike, but not a great piece of gear for wetter terrain.
    Ron

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I just wear mine at work. I would never hike in them. That suede upper on the footbox. WTF were they thinking?

Ron, did you find them hot?

I find that I can feel plenty of the rocks I'm walking on through the sole.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Hi Ken – You're right about the suede upper over the toes, after a few days of it being wet it made a large sore on top of my big toe joint. Mesh would have been fine. I didn't have any problem with them being hot, but I have a fairly wide comfort range. I'll still hike in them, but never again multi-day trips in wet areas.
    Ron

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I find that I can feel plenty of the rocks I'm walking on through the sole.

Yes, and in my book that is good. In face, essential.

Let's imagine you are wearing some big clompy boots which do not allow you to feel rocks and roots on the ground. What's going to happen? Pretty soon you are going to really miss a step because you can't feel the ground, fall over and sprain your ankle. Or maybe you are going to stand on a sloping rock and not be aware of it – and slip off into a hole in the scree and break a leg.

Your feet have a lot of sensor nerves which can give you excellent proprioception. That means your feet, ankles and legs can respond to the ground you are walking on without you having to make a conscious effort. An experienced walker can trundle along a rough path at some speed while apparently paying no attention to the surface. How? His proprioceptive system is doing it all for him. An ocassional glance to see where the track is going and his feet do the rest.

This myth that you need to be blissfully unaware of what the ground is like under your feet is one of the more dangerous ones floating around. Without that sensory feedback, you are blind! And will shortly be crippled.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We all know this Roger. These shoes need much refinement. Where's that 1210 review.

Dan D. is looking for a beefier sole. I just don't consider these to be "beefy".

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Where's that 1210 review.
    According to the calendar, next week.

Cheers

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Exactly why I switched to very minimal shoes. I am much safer on rocks and such.

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

I have had the shoes for a little over a year. The exterior has held up well especially the Vibram sole. I bought these shoes on the recommendations of the Backpacking Light website. I have used these shoes more for daily use than trail use. The inside covering wears out prematurely which the exposes the foam which wears out even quicker. This occured in multiple areas.
    The shoe is pushed as an ultralight hiker but I do not think it would hold up in any hiking above the timberline especially on rocky trails.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I do not think it would hold up in any hiking above the timberline especially on
    > rocky trails.
    Been there, done that, worked very well thank you.

These ARE BPL field-tested reviews you know, not some desk hack.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Don't get all insulted Roger. Your review is your opinion based on your experience. Other persons in this thread with experience with these shoes have given opinions that don't agree with yours. Normal. I find these shoes to be sponges as well. Take forever to dry. They have been a marginal pair of sneakers. Nothing more.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"These ARE BPL field-tested reviews you know, not some desk hack."

Classic. lol.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ken

> Don't get all insulted Roger.
    Chuckle. Takes a whole lot more than that to insult me! Pretty hard to do in fact.

What OP wrote was
    > I do not think it would hold up in any hiking above the timberline especially on
    > rocky trails.

My comment was aimed at the 'I do not think' bit, which I took to mean the OP had not actually tested then shoes in rocky terrain; he was just theorising. I might be wrong of course, but not on the words used. In contrast, if I make a claim for performance, that claim will be based on actual field testing, NOT on theorising. So …

5953PicdAnie2014.jpg
    The approach to the Pic d'Anie in the Pyrenees in France this year (2014) – very harsh abrasive limestone country. I was wearing the 889s on this trip, and they went very well. No visible damage at all. I was very happy with them.

So now you know.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

None of this matters sine NB has discontinued these loser shoes.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools