Topic

Fabric recommendations for a down quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric recommendations for a down quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

A few years ago I made a couple of synthetic quilts for my sons. They decided to get taller and have outgrown the quilts. I would like to try to make some down quilts to replace them. The quilts will be used for family car camping, backpacking and Boy Scouts activities. I'm aiming for 25-30 degree quilts.

I'm struggling over what fabric to use. I'm leaning towards Rip Stop Nylon that is DWR and downproof, but have also looked a the thru-hiker kit with the Momentum 50. I want a fabric that will take a little abuse. My kids are pretty good at taking care of their gear, but I want something they won't be afraid to use.

Any thoughts/recommendations on fabrics?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used Nobul for a sleeping bag lining, which is similar, but it seems fairly flimsy. I have some M50 but haven't used it yet and it seems similar. I think you need to baby these lightweight fabrics.

My experience as a Boyscout is that they do not baby gear, just the opposite, but maybe your group is different.

Maybe 1.1 oz is better. Cheap stuff from backwoodsdaydreamer.com.

Down for Boy Scouts? Seems like they might not be careful enough to keep it from getting wet? Synthetic better?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

If you are expecting them to take a little abuse, go with 1.1oz nylon. The Momentum/Nobul fabrics will last fine with care, but the word abuse does not belong in the same sentence with those fabrics. 1.1oz is pretty burly in comparison.

Ryan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools