Topic

Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better – advice please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better – advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

You'll love it, great choice.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

enLIGHTened Equipment Man agrees….GREAT CHOICE!
    eqman

PS–That Nobul fabric makes a great liner for capes…….

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Matthew great photo, thanks for that!

Art, I have a couple questions for you. I just received my EE quilt. I used it once in the tent and have been checking it out a bit indoors and it seems that the 10d charcoal interior is leaking a good bit of down. Do you have the charcoal 10d and does it leak much? Or did it at first and settled down at all later? I am bummed by this as it is so soft and looks so nice. The black 10d exterior seems to be just fine, no down leaking. I ordered a wide, but am thinking about getting a REG width. Tim is now out of the charcoal 10d and said I could use the black 10d and it would lose a little breathability. Any thoughts on the black 10d as an interior fabric?

You said that you sent the quilt back for overfill. Did you ask for one or two ounces overfill? The weights you mentioned were just under two ounces. I am actually thinking about getting some overfill as well. Even with the new smaller karo step baffles, the down moves more than I would like. Did getting overfill help quite a bit?

Thank you!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I haven't had any down leakage to speak of, so not sure what to say there, have you asked Tim directly? He's "the man" when it comes to quilts IMHO. I have Black/Charcoal 10d combo as well, so not sure why you'd be having down escape. Whether the black is inside or out, it's still very light fabric, so I don't think it will be that noticeable vs. the charcoal.

Considering how thin the 10d is it's not entirely surprising that there could be leakage, that's one of the compromises with gear like this. Although I can imagine it's disheartening to find down outside the quilt, you'll likely never lose enough to actually make a difference. A couple feathers may seem like a lot emotionally, but rationally this stuff is so light it'll take years of minor leakage to add up to anything noticeable.

For my overfill I asked Tim to put in what he thought was needed, it went from 13.4 to 15.1 and seems just about perfect. That overfill made a huge difference in keeping the down more evenly distributed, on my core. I hated to add weight as it was so light, but glad I did now.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools