Topic

Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better – advice please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better – advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Howdy everyone! I am in the market for a summer quilt. This will be my first quilt. My current and only sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering 20 degree Ultralite. Weight is certainly important, but price is as well. I am trying to decide between Enlightened Equipment and Jacks R Better. I would also like this to double as another layer for my winter system, to go over my Ultralite bag. I also want to go with a totally flat blanket style quilt for better ventilation and I can share with my lady during the summer.

I have heard great things about EE. Their prices are reasonable. For 2-3 more ounces, I can save $65 by going with the EE Revelation X. But if I want the lightest of them all, I need to go with the all 10 denier fabric of the Revelation. I like that EE quilts are a little bit wider than the JRB. I am a side sleeper, and I was concerned about the large karo baffles and down shifting, but they are spaced 5" now, so I am hoping that is okay. And I am from Minnesota, so I would be happy to support someone else from Minnesota.

Jacks R Better are reasonable too. Their only option is a 30 denier fabric. They are a bit narrower. I really like the idea of the head hole and "poncho" mode of the Sierra Stealth. This would save weight in bringing an insulated jacket, if it works well.

Does anyone have any experience with the JRB Sierra Stealth?
    Does the "poncho" style work well? I suppose I need a big rain coat to cover it when wet out?
    Will either of these be wide enough to adequately layer over my Ultralite bag?
    Will either of these be suitable to cover 2 people during the summer?
    Should I go with the wide width option on the EE quilt?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking and reading all of this!!
    – Cody

Here at some stats of the quilts I am interested in:

Enlightened Equipment / Revelation X / 40 degrees / 6'6" regular width / 18.75oz / $190
    > good bang for buck
    > 54" width at shoulders to 40" at feet

Enlightened Equipment / Revelation / 40 degrees / 6'6" regular width / 17.25oz / $255
    > this could be about 15.75oz if I go with all 10denier fabric
    > 54" width at shoulders to 40" at feet
    > most expensive

Jacks R' Better / Sierra Stealth / 45 degrees / 6'6" / 17.5oz / $200
    > 52" width at shoulders, 42" at feet
    > head hole to wear as warm "poncho"
    > horizontal, continuous baffles
    > 30 denier fabric

Jacks R' Better / Shenandoah / 45 degrees / 6'6" / 16oz / $180
    > good bang for buck
    > is only 48" wide, rectangle
    > horizontal, continuous baffles
    > 30 denier fabric

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Cody,

I have the Sierra Sniviler JRB and think that it is a great value quilt.

My 1st quilt, but it is not without its flaws.

It does work nicely in camp for an insulating layer, which I appreciate while having breakfast.

However, I don't think it is a suitable replacement for carrying an insulting layer because it is not really something you could wear while hiking. (If that is important for you…maybe in the shoulder seasons).

The JRB in "poncho" mode is just a bit bulky.

Sitting down on a log or something like that in camp can be problematic because it the quilt can hang lower than your butt, which means you can get it dirty or poke a hole in the quilt.

If you are very tall, then maybe this would not be an issue.

I am 5'6".

The negative for me is that the JRB quilt does not have a way to cinche it around your neck to prevent/limit the draft at the shoulder area, which causes you to lose heat at night.

For this reason alone, I am contemplating moving to a Katabatic 30F or 22F quilt, which is much more expensive.

The JRB has been a great value and a low cost entry into trying out quilts, but it has its limitations.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

I have a EE rev x 10* and it feels so soft and smooth, but to be honest i also wonder about down moving around and how long it will be before i have to massage it back to a proper spot or will i wake up cold because it shifted and have to work at it in the middle of the night? Only time will tell and ill tell you want i sure do love this thing right now, I use it around the house for everything a quilt could be used for. Its MEGA warm.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I have the Stealth; Got it in 2008, used it for a year, and then my kids claimed it. They love it. Kept me easily warm to 45F with thin long johns. Mine weighs 16oz. Mine does cinch around the shoulders/neck. I’ve used the poncho hole a couple of times. Poncho mode does keep you warm but you need to be careful around the stove as the poncho sticks out everywhere. Poncho kept me warm at 30F sitting around, but that’s with my hiking clothes on.

I also have the warmer Hudson River at 21oz. Both of these quilts immediately warm me up when I tuck in. I use a neoair with them. Any of these quilts should adequately layer over your ultralight.

At 17oz and 20F, I now use the Zpack quilt.

Good luck in your quilt choice.
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've had the Sierra Stealth for a bit over a year and I've been very happy with it. It was one of my first UL purchases and it's a great value, though I wish they offered a lighter face fabric. I purchased it after reading Alan's article on his XUL adventure (http://goo.gl/vpZUl).

It works very well in camp in 'poncho mode'. I haven't worn it while hiking because if it's cold enough to need hiking it's cold enough to need another insulating layer for sleeping.

It has a cinch cord at the top end, so I'm not sure why the previous poster has had trouble with shoulder drafts.

I'm 6'5" and 240+lbs so I sure couldn't share it with somebody else. A normal or smaller size person might manage if they spooned and didn't move much, but I doubt it. Should be fine to layer with another bag.

It's also come in handy as an underquilt when I hammock camp in the summer months.

Given the price difference, I'd make the same choice again between the options you've got on the table. I couldn't be much happier with the Sierra Stealth or JRB as a manufacturer.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Marc, thank you for your reply. I am curious, have you ever tried wearing your EE quilt? Can you put your head through the footbox, snap a couple of the snaps, and sort of let the rest drape over you? Or put your head through the head end with the neck snapped and maybe one of the lower leg snaps shut? If you have time and are able to try these that would be awesome! Thanks!

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Thank you everyone for your insightful information!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Keep in mind EE lists the weight of the qut with the heavy straps and maybe stuff sack too. Both are about 2 oz.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Have you considered a synthetic quilt for the summer? The big benefit would be for winter if you layered your quilt over top of your bag it would likely put the dew point into the quilt where the synthetic insulation can handle it better than down.

A 40 deg EE prodigy x 6'6 reg is 24 oz and a 50 degree is 18 oz. and you could save another 2oz by going to the prodigy with the lighter fabrics.

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

After seeing the quality of Tims EE quilt Im considering ordering two Prodigys for summer camping. One for my son, and one for me. I canuse the prod for a winter top quilt as well.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have two Revelation quilts (one is an X), both 40 degree and overstuffed. They were great value and are well made. However,I have always been disappointed with the down control afforded by the Karo baffles. I now use a Zpack's quilt for most trips and keep the EE quilts for summer and car camping.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Jason thanks for the info. I take it you have pre 2013 EE quilts? I have heard of that issue too with the EE quilts. New EE quilts now only have 5" spaces between baffles instead of 8". I am wondering how much that helps, it must some. How do you like the zpacks? May I ask your height/weight and what size Zpacks bag you have and how it fits?

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Greg, I have thought about a synthetic bag for the summer. Since I do much more summer backpacking than I do winter I am leaning towards getting something that I would really like for summer (lightweight down bag) over the better summer/winter synthetic option. Tempting though as weight is not much different on warmer temperature bags.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Hi Cody. Yep – they are both pre 2013 quilts and changing the baffle gap will probably help.

I am very happy with the Zpacks quilt. For me, as aside sleeper, it is just the right cut. Roomy with out being too big. I am 6 foot tall and 157 lbs. I went with an extra long regular 30 degree bag. I note on Joe's' site that he now recommends sizing up for length as I did. If you want to be able to zip the bag shut I would go for the wide. I use mine as a classic quilt and find the regular to be perfect. I also went with the ResistDown option, but have no idea if this really makes any difference.

The bag seems true to its temp rating for me. I have used it down to 32 F and was nice and warm. One of these nights was without a mat, as I got stuck out away from my tent. I did have all my clothes on though. Temp ratings are all a bit personal, as each individual's physiology varies, as does their definition of what being warm and comfortable feels like. However, I feel pretty sure that the Zpacks bags will compare well to other offerings. If I was a back sleeper I would look carefully at the Katabatic quilts.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

It is worth noting that the price quoted for the two JRB quilts include activ-dri down at the stated fill power…Regular 800 fp down is actually $10 lower than stated.

Pan

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I can't say enough positive things about Tim's quilts. I have a RevX 20F overstuffed and a Rev 40F 10D/10D. When I first got the 40F Rev I went with standard fill, it only weighed 13.4 ounces in that config. I've since sent it back to Tim for extra down and it now weighs in at a still light 15.1. I haven'y used it this year yet with the overfill, but I'm sure it will easily go down to 35F comfortably. I had the overfill put in to compensate for the larger baffles of the old design, but Tim has addressed this in the updated 2013 quilts with smaller baffles. IMHO you can't go wrong with an EE quilt, the quality is fantastic and the service is even better, I'd buy another without hesitation.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

John, thanks for bringing the price of the different down fill to my attention!

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Hi Art,

Thank you for writing here. I am the person from Minnesota that contacted you about your MLD Exodus.

I am curious what size quilt you have for the 40 degree that it weighed 13oz? I will be getting a long/reg width. Maybe even a long/wide. Not sure as I am a side sleeper.

I am really curious about the 10 denier fabric. What are your thoughts on it? How does it compare to the 30 denier of your RevelationX? Do you think it is durable enough as an exterior fabric for backpacking? I would love to get it for the weight saved, but don't want to hinder functionality. I am careful with my gear though.

Since EE is from Winona, Minnesota and I am from Bemidji, Minnesota I am tempted to keep it local.

Thanks Art!
    Cody

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I'm a side sleeper too, so went with the 6' Wide in both quilts, the size is nice and roomy for me at 5' 11" 185 lbs. But if I remember, Tim changed his sizes a tad and the new Wide is 2" wider (I think). I was surprised at how light it came in, the new ones will be slightly heavier, but still nice and light in my opinion.

The 10D (was called 8D when I bought) is silky smooth, very soft, I like it a lot. I sleep in a SMD Skyscape, so am fairly protected from the wind if need be and it's a very comfortable quilt, if you're exposed to high winds (open tarp), you may want the heavier nylon. The 30D of my RevX is still plenty soft and if I hadn't gotten the 10D, would have thought it was perfect. The 10D feels like silk.

As for durability, I think the 10D is plenty durable providing you treat it like a piece of ultralight gear and not a flannel bag from Cabela's that the kids take on a sleepover. I have about 25 nights in this quilt and it still looks new, and several of those nights are with an 85 lb German Shepherd in the Skyscape with me.

As an edit to my earlier post, that weight is w/o the elastic straps or stuff sack, just the quilt and what's permanently sewn to it.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I have both a JRB Sierra Sniveller and two EE Revelation X 20 degree quilts. I had bought the JRB quilt early last year for myself, and bought the two EE quilts for my sons just before our JMT hike last year in late July. Both are well made, although I did have a seam separate in the Jacks R Better quilt on the JMT and had to field repair it with super glue (holding so far). This with my sons being much tougher on their quilts than I am, often waking up next to their pads, partially on the dirt/rocks when cowboy camping, and in a complete 180 from their original sleeping positions. The EE quilts are built tough yet still very light. I give the EE quilts the edge there.

Regarding the poncho feature of the JRB, I don't hike with it as a poncho, but it is nice on those cold mornings when you have to get up for something. Its nice just to slip your head through the hole and stand up. It keeps you warm until you can get your hiking clothes on, and even for a bit after that until your clothes warm up. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't want to take the chance of damaging the quilt by lounging around in camp with it, but I could see using it for specific ultralight trips where everything is minimalist such as in the Adventure Alan link above. Its also nice to know that you could go to it as an extra insulation layer should things turn out to be a lot colder than expected. The EE quilt could be used like that as a wrap also, but the JRB makes it much easier.

I just bought the regular width/half taper with overfill from EE. One was a long (in case I wanted to use it) and one regular in length. I'm 6'3, 200 lbs and even the regular is long enough for me to use, although I prefer the long. Width wise, both are fine and easy to sleep under, but you might want the wide if using it to augment a sleeping bag.I'm a side sleeper as well, but even at regular width with both the JRB and EE quilts, they conform to my position and the width is fine.

Service was great from both. Tim was quick to answer email questions being that I ordered the quilts barely a month from our hike, and the delivery time on the website said to allow 3-4 weeks. He assured me that the quilts would be delivered in plenty of time and they arrived about 2 weeks after I ordered them. No problems from JRB, they were courteous as well.

If buying another quilt, I would likely buy the EE, mainly because I feel its a better value being the less expensive option. But I do like the Poncho feature of the JRB quilt and do use it as such under the circumstances I just mentioned.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Love my Rev X 20 degree overstuffed. I got the long and wide one and it will cover my girlfriend and I fine for a summer quilt and my son just used it two nights ago for a couple of nights below 25 degrees in a bivy bag and stayed warm!! It is not as light as the lightest options that are available, but for the money it is awesome!!! The "seconds" material that they use for the Rev X wouldn't even be a second if it wasn't for a barely noticeable tiny stripe of dark gray that you will have to search to find. Also Tim is great to work with!!!!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Does anyone have any experience with the JRB Sierra Stealth?"

Yeah, I have a Sierra Stealth with a sewn-in footbox, and 900 fill. I got it at the start of winter so haven’t used it in summer conditions yet. (It is snowing here right now!) But I did use it quite a bit as an over-quilt for both myself and my son this winter. You can see that use in this bag review as I mention it.
    http://tinyurl.com/c7acw4a

"Does the "poncho" style work well?"

It actually doesn't do too bad. I have the hood too, which I find works better with the quilt than as a stand-alone hood. See the pic at the end of the review above.

"I suppose I need a big rain coat to cover it when wet out?"

I sure would not have my quilt unprotected in rain as being warm at night is a lot more important than saving a bit of weight to me. But honestly if it were cold and raining I would just be inside the quilt (on my pad), not walking around in it. But I never hike in my down sweater either. My “puffy” insulation is only used when stationary.

"Will either of these be wide enough to adequately layer over my Ultralite bag?"

See review above. Yes, I used it over that bag and my son used it over his 20 F SD bag too. (Pic of him using it and wearing the hood below.)

"Will either of these be suitable to cover 2 people during the summer?"

In my opinion, it will not be comfortable for two people unless they are stacked… ;-)
    JRB overquilt

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Thank you Tom, Art, Robert, and Raymond for the excellent information. I appreciate your time and effort in writing.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

I ordered an Enlightened Equipment Revelation. 10 denier fabric inside and out, 6'6" and wide. Should be SWEET!

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Nice pickup. Let us know what you think after you have put it through its paces!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools