Topic

10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique 10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Blarowki
    BPL Member

@mikeyb

Locale: BC25.com

And I thought my 10 reasons covered it all :-) Thanks for all of the new reasons I missed in my blog post

Oh, and we all forgot that there is no starbucks

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Thank goodness for that. Now, if you'd mentioned there was no Peets, I might be having palpitations…

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

"Hundreds of people around" reminded me of a thought I had on a recent trip into the Citico wilderness in east TN. As I was sitting in camp counting the frequent loud jets flying overhead I thought, "Sure there's no one right here in camp with me but about 600 complete strangers flying overhead and not that far away." Bummer.

"Fresh Air" is a myth at least where I go in the Southeast from Mt Rogers to the Cohuttas. It's the same air which has made the GSMNP the most air polluted park in the country. Breathe deeply my friends.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Grimner wrote "You might spend more than five minutes alone and thus run the grave risk of attending your own thoughts."

So true. Have you ever noticed that when people are by them selves in a public place that they immediately fidget and grab the cell phone and look up…what? What's so important?! Anyways, while at a local eatery/bar I noticed that all of the "singles" at the bar were on their cell phones. I can't imagine trying to pick-up a girl these days at the bar — having to compete with Mr. iPhone.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

-You can't call out for pizza: clearly a starvation danger.

Between sat phones, GPS and drones that reason will be gone soon:-)

Here's one from true life. 40 yrs ago my then boss was canoeing in the boundary waters and ran into a youth group from Texas. Those kids refused to swim in the lakes … something was wrong with the water … it was BLUE!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

just an FYI :

my security program (McAfee) did not want me to access the link posted by the OP, so I didn't.
    Suspicious Activity ?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools