Topic

Stoic Hadron Anorak sizing/layering?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stoic Hadron Anorak sizing/layering?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Hi all,

I'm looking at grabbing a Stoic Hadron Anorak, just not sure about the sizing. I am 5'10" and 150lbs and have a MontBell Ex Light Jacket which fits me pretty well perfectly. From what I hear, the Stoic Anoraks are a bit larger than MontBell sizing. Is that correct?

I'd love to be able to layer the Hadron over the Ex Light for a little bit of extra warmth. The VERY lowest temperatures I experience are around -5C or 23F (very rare). So I think that could be sufficient if there is not significant loft compression when layering – but mainly use the Hadron as my sleeping piece (hooded). Do you think I should get a medium Hadron or a large?

Any help much appreciated.

(I have also been tossing up just getting a MB Alpine Light instead, but think that might not be as versatile a system? Open to suggestions though).

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm 5'6" and 155, so shorter, but rounder than you. I own the Hadron Anorak in a small and am very happy with the fit. I just gotta be a little careful pulling it on and off, but otherwise, it fits really well. I still have some room for a thick baselayer/fleece, but it fits snugly enough to be very efficient.

The wrist cuffs are quite tight though, so be aware. I keep mine stored hanging with tennis balls or tubes of whatever stretching out the wrist elastic, so that they will loosen up over time.

However, the tightness isn't a real problem or anything, good for sealing in the warmth and whatnot.

Got mine off geartrade.com for a great price, so maybe you can snag one there too.

For layering over the ex-light, get a medium. Large will be far too big for your dimensions. There's another thread on the forums, and people larger than you have been happier with mediums.

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Thanks Andy. Good tips. It sounds like a medium is what I'm after.

I see there are cheap ones on geartrade but I'd have to deal with the returnee's BO. Hmmm. Any idea if washing these things properly with down wash degrades the down?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm normally (or used to be) a small in everything. at 5'11" and 145. I'm still a 36" chest now that I've put on 20lbs from climbing, most of it in my back. While I don't have the hadron, all my other stoic gear I've had to size up to mediums if there is no stretch in the fabric (stoic wraith windshirt, etc). While the smalls still fit in most areas, I can't cross my arms without feeling like Chris Farley's "Fat man in a little coat." Even in a medium it gets pulled snug across the back sometimes. I do have the montbell ul down parka and went up to a medium to ensure no compression of the down. Even though a small fit well it was just a tad too snug to layer over a fleece or in the back like above.

Unless you have an overly developed ape back like a climber, a medium should be more than enough to layer the hadron over your ex light.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As long as you wash it properly with down wash, like nikwax or revived down wash, you should be fine. Remember, front load washer only, no agitator.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Oh, and this one likely doesn't have the BO smell, it's just an odd color. BC is usually pretty good at listing any and all issues you'll experience with their geartrade sales. That is, anything that would disappoint a standard gear junkie out of the box (aside from design flaws) they'll tell you about.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/313219/hadron-down-anorak-mens-vintagevintage-m-li

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

i'd go with the medium. I am 5' 8" and 150 and I had the small at first and it fit well for the most part with two exceptions.

-the wrists are ridiculously tight
    -when sleeping, the arms at the armpit got a little tight and uncomfortable.

I exchanged it for the medium and the wrists are still a little tight but the body is more generous, great for layering. Also, its a bit long on me so i think it would fit you well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools