Topic

Tie out for cuben tarps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tie out for cuben tarps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I have some cuben and I want to make a small over hang for my bivy. basically a small area I can chill out in and watch it rain. I dont need a lot of space. Im thinking 4-5 feet wide and 3 feet up.

My question is- how do you attach and reinforce your tie outs.

I was thinking about just making mylar hoops and attaching paracord loops I also have some grossgrain I could use but need help with how to reinfoce these sewn areas

how do you handle the outer rim of the fabric? which seems to be just a thin piece of plastic. Fold it over and stitch it is what i normally would do but im not sure how well that outer material would sew. So do I cut it off and tape the outer rim? Or cut it off and fold it then stitch it.

Pictures of the tie outs and outside edges of current cuben tarps would be VERY appreciated. I have looked at a ton of these on the internet but few of the pics seem to show case the areas im concerned with. The Pictures that i have seen are of the completed project from 20 feet away.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I think I have a good method to show you with some pictures, but I'm on the road right now. Be home late this weekend.

Steve

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

And here's the link to the tie out test documents. Nothing scientific, but will give you a good idea about the strength.

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD20%20Cuben%20Tieout%20Tests.html

Enjoy!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I recently finished (mostly) a cuben tarp and used small pieces of flat carbon for the tieouts. 1/2" long pieces of flat carbon are taped into the edges of the tarp with three 10" long, 1/2" wide pieces of cuben tape wrapped over the edge to distribute the pull, placed at different angles to the direction of pull. A hole is drilled into the carbon to tie to (after all the taping is done). No sewing.

This method was inspired by tieout method developed for polycro tarps using nylon washers, mentioned/started at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59450&disable_pagination=1

I'll post some details for the construction of this tarp soon, probably in the next week.

Steve

On the tableTaunt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools