Topic

DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 359 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

DeLorme released details the inReach SE on their web site today:

http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

"*Now accepting pre-orders. Expected ship date is mid to late April"

— Rex

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Rex, let us know if you see any fair reviews on this product, or on the Iridium service. I realize that those are two separate issues.

–B.G.–

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

From what I can tell on the info, it's $299.95 for the device; $20 to activate the subscription, then there's a choice of 3 subscription. The Safety is $119.40 a year and that covers 10 texts and preset texts a month. After that there's a fee per text. The Recreational subscription is $311.40 a year and allows 40 texts a month or unlimited preset texts. You can also get the 4 month seasonal subscription for $159.80. I didn't check out the Expedition subscription. They all include unlimited SOS calls. The weight is 6.7ozs.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

The Safety subscription also doesn't have free tracking. They would charge you $0.25 for every track point. Actually isn't that bad when you realistically break down how many times per month you would use tracking. Unless the spouse/parent/concerned friend demands you upload your position every 10 minutes.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Bob,

Unless DeLorme seeded pre-release inReach SE devices with a few reviewers, we won't see reviews until sometime after the first units ship.

The inReach SE is an all new design for DeLorme, using the newer Iridium 9603 modem ($300 each in small quantities!), versus the Iridium 9602 modem in the first generation inReach models. The 9603 is smaller and lighter, with the same power requirements, but there could be some Iridium performance differences. We'll see.

— Rex

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Rex, let's stay tuned in for more news and reviews. It will be interesting to see if there are any geographic performance problems since most LEO constellations are definable patterns.

–B.G.–

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some pros and cons of the inReach SE versus inReach Smartphone, based purely on specifications.

Pros:
    – Full standalone SMS texting using cursor keys, virtual keyboard, and predictive texting. You can leave your smart phone behind, and still have full two-way communications.
    – Built-in color screen
    – 27 grams lighter, pretty amazing considering the added features.
    – Taller but not as fat
    – USB Rechargeable battery

Cons:
    – Not as water resistant: IP67 (1 meter for 30 minutes), versus IP68 (beyond 1 meter continuous).
    – Shorter battery life, 100 hours versus 125 hours, with a big YMMV.
    – Can't replace the batteries. For long hikes with resupplies, shipping a couple of AA Lithium cells to yourself can be more convenient than waiting in town to charge your device, and lighter than carrying a solar charger.
    – $50 more expensive

Also, all inReach are backordered or not shipping until late April.

The only device fully comparable to the inReach SE on the market now is the Yellowbrick 3. Comparing those two, inReach SE:

– Cheaper to buy,
    – More expensive to operate, highly dependent on your particular usage pattern,
    – Includes maps in the app
    – Includes GEOS IERCC rescue coordination service
    – 105 grams lighter
    – Much shorter battery life: about 8 days versus 90 days, with a big YMMV.

For more details, see the full article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/satellite_communications_sotmr_part3.html

I'm glad we have choices and competition in this market!

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

I just found a piece about the inReach SE on http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm, which says that DeLorme will supply an optional AA battery pack that plugs into the back of the SE. If so, that pretty much fixes the battery life problem. It means you've got 80-100 hours on the built-in battery, and for long trips you can extend the service indefinitely with Li AA cells. Slightly more weight.

It sounds like pairing the SE with a 5th Gen iPod (3.1 oz, $300) would be worthwhile, if you want to use digital maps on one of the best displays now available, but that is not necessary to get productive use from the device.

Best price I've seen is $280, shipping included. I think I want one. Hope it's good.

By the way, Amazon dropped the price on the inReach for Smartyphones to $200.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

After Delorme announced the inReach SE, I decided that leaving my smart phone at home and communicating on a single device was the way I wanted to go. I quickly sold my inReach for smart phones and have pre-ordered an inReach SE. The current estimated shipping date is April 23rd (delayed from the original date of April 16th that was listed when I put in my order)

I originally thought the rechargeable battery would be a show stopper for me but carrying a portable AA charger is lighter than carrying my iPhone so I have rationalized the lack of changeable batteries.

The one feature that I believe is missing is the ability to display your GPS coordinates on the screen. I haven't seen this feature listed anywhere and it is something that is really needed and would allow me to leave my GPS behind. I'm hoping that sending myself a message will include my current GPS coordinates without having to use a smart phone to see the location data, but I'm skeptical.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

I just spoke to DeLorme support and they confirmed that the SE does not currently support GPS coordinate display, but it could with a firmware revision. And maybe it will when it ships, or maybe it won't. Time will tell. As to whether you can send yourself a message on the inReach, that was a stumper. They will get back to me. You can send messages to other inReaches for sure. It seems very awkward that in standalone mode, the only way you might be able to find out your coords is by texting a collaborator to reply with the location from the message you sent — if you follow my drift.

I think that a bunch of calls and emails to their support will convince DeLorme of their market's strong interest in making the SE truly useful. Not including this feature seems foolish if not spiteful.

The SE is now expected to ship at the end of April.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Thanks for the info.

Since my last post I received an update for Delome's Eartmate app. The update adds support for the inReach SE. Makes me wonder if the holdup has been just trying to get the new app through Apples App Store.

I'll definitely send them an email requesting coordinate display if it's not available.

I suspect Delorme had to work pretty hard "not" to display the location coordinates as technically, it would be very easy to do. My bet is that the marketing guys have asked the software engineers to suppress coordinate display so that the inReach doesn't compete with Delorme's line of GPS's.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

"My bet is that the marketing guys have asked the software engineers to suppress coordinate display so that the inReach doesn't compete with Delorme's line of GPS's."

If that were true then why would they allow pairing with SmartPhones and give them GPS functionality? DeLorme does not make SmartPhones.

I'm guessing they just have not thought the thing through. Or . . . they are mean people. More likely the former.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

This boating website http://www.panbo.com/archives/2013/04/inreach_se_will_the_screen_do_it.html discusses the InReach SE and shows a photo of a screen with GPS coordinates. When reading the article you will see that a saved tracking point is displayed. That means to me that I could "easily" display my current coordinates by turning on tracking (or turning it first off and then on again if it was already on) and reading the newly created tracking point.

Best Regards,

Manfred

Edit: HTML link didn't work, so I copied the URL into the text

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

That was a prototype SE that Ben at Panbo was using, so who knows just what firmware will ship with it? Let's hope DeLorme does the reasonable thing. It will certainly make the SE a lot easier to sell, if you don't have to do crazy workarounds to get basic information out of the device. I'd say that current coordinates are pretty basic for something with a GPS unit. Even your iPad or iPhone will give you that.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Shipping for the SE is now listed for mid-May on the DeLorme site. Anticipation builds. Will the users be able to see their coordinates without paying for a tracking point when in standalone mode? (When paired with another device, using Earthmate you get that for free.)

The best device for pairing, I think, should be the 5th Gen. iPod Touch, which weighs only 3.1 oz and has more and better pixels than anything short of a big heavy iPad. But, then again, GPS navigation is for wusses. A real hiker has a deep, mystical understanding of the landscape and needs no external aids. I aspire to be that real.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

OK, now this is getting annoying…

I pre-ordered an inReach SE in mid mid April and the "new" release date is now May 25th! That's the 3rd time they have changed the release date since I ordered the unit.

What's the issue? (I assume just early marketing hype before the product was actually finished) As a consumer, this just makes Delorme look bad in my eyes.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

You are experiencing the normal perils of pre-ordering, Mike. The prudent being waits. We will learn from your experience, though. Thanks.

UPDATE : I am not a prudent being, it seems. I, too, preordered (REI). I hope it ships before I die. If it doesn't, I'm definitely returning it.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

I was recently corresponding with the developer of Maps 3D, which is an iPhone app. He says that if the iOS device is paired to a GPS which makes GPS data available to an app, those data are available to all apps that might use them ("data" is plural!). This means that a user might not be limited to DeLorme's map app, for what that's worth.

UPDATE: I was browsing in the DeLorme inReach Forum and found that

". . . Android; it doesn't support sharing the inReach GPS with other apps."

So, other apps on iOS devices can use the inReach GPS data, but no deal for Android devices. Others report Gaia using the inReach GPS without problems on their iPhones.

UPDATE 2: On iOS with Location Services on, a GPS signal via Bluetooth (BT), inReach frinstance, trumps the GPS on the Apple device. It is turned off and consumes no power. This means the Apple device can have all its radios off (GPS, WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE, &c.) except for BT and still function fully with a GPS map app. Keeping the SE and its paired iOS device close together will minimize the BT power use in each.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

I just bought one of these on rei's website. Because it is back ordered they give free shipping and if it breaks or sucks I can return it easy. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might be buying one of these. Peace

Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

I just received this from REI:

The DeLorme inReach SE 2-Way Satellite Communicator, item 857610, has an estimated arrival date to our warehouse of June 14, 2013. The item will be shipped as soon as it becomes available. Please keep in mind that this is an estimated time frame and is subject to change.

Dan S

@djstwo

Locale: Southern California

"This means the Apple device can have all its radios off (GPS, WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE, &c.) except for BT and still function fully with a GPS map app. Keeping the SE and its paired iOS device close together will minimize the BT power use in each."
    How can you functionally do this? Airplane mode will kill BT too right, and you can't turn off the cellular radios piecemeal in iOS. (There is a workaround on ATT phones by locking the SIM)

Edit:
    I stand corrected, BT can be on with Airplane mode enabled, I just tried it, nice.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Interesting. I spoke with DeLorme Support this morning and, among other things, asked about the expected shipping date. He (John) said that as far as he had heard it was still expected to ship in mid-May, which is where we now are and will remain for another week.

However, John also said that the new SEs will be shipped as available first to their best retail outlets and then to lesser ones. He included DeLorme itself among the lesser ones. You'd think REI would be among the great, but who knows? Only the inner circle at DeLorme.

REI has had nothing to say to me on this matter. Am I not as worthy as the Trek Guy?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

>> UPDATE : I am not a prudent being, it seems. I, too, preordered (REI). I hope it ships before I die. If it doesn't, I'm definitely returning it. <<

Good one! You can't keep a good consumer down.

I pre-ordered mine from MEC (Canadian equivalent to REI). Other than the fact that they are likely way down on the priority list, you can't go wrong with their customer service and return policy. If it becomes available on another site, I'll order it and cancel my order with MEC (although I may just wait, as I like MEC's return policy).

Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

James said: "REI has had nothing to say to me on this matter. Am I not as worthy as the Trek Guy?"

I preordered the device, and that's what they sent me when I inquired about my order. Not sure if you preordered or not. As always, depends if you get lucky talking to the right person… Good luck!

Fred Eoff
    BPL Member

@fredeoff

Locale: Northwest

Good news! My InReach SE was delivered today:)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 359 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools