Topic

UL Backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Suggestions for winter backpacks

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

HMG

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Winter where?

Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Cold Minnesota Winters , sometimes below 0 degrees

Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Golite packs, any recommendation

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What is your mode of transportation? Boots, snowshoes, skis?

Cross country skiers swing their arms a lot, so they prefer a rather narrow backpack.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It's a question of volume and I would want an internal frame to handle the extra weight. Those 5lb SUL base weights totter when subjected to cold winter gear lists.

Get a box roughly pack size/proportion and find the internal level that all your gear comes to. Calculating the volume on a cube is easy enough and will give you a *rough* starting point. Then you can start asking which pack.

Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Thanx for the input, it is either boots or snow shoes. I have a ULA Catalyst which runs out of room with the down and i will pulk when the terrain permits so volume is not a problem, but when i need the back pack i was looking at Golite packs with large volume and low price. The coldest i been is minus 13 degrees. Input on what people are using and would recommend buying.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Nobody can answer your question without knowing the volume you need? In the olden days I used a Golite Pinnacle but there isn't a chance that I could fill that today in the winter. I use my normal three season pack. If for some reason that runs out of room I still have a Golite Jam that could hold anything I take. But that obviously won't work for you. More detail. The quality of the question will dictate the quality of the answer.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As one who loves winter backpacking and taught winter survival to Army ROTC cadets I feel "UL" gear and winter conditions usually do not mix.

A light but tough backpack from Granite Gear would be a better choice. Winter geat can NOT fail and UL gear is more likely to fail in harsh conditions.

In any case, since winter gear is heavier, your pack should have an internal frame to transfer the load to your hips.

P.S. I'd recommend a minimum volume of 4,000 cu. in.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Since you are talking about winter and volume – have you considered a pulk? There are a bunch of links on here, this is just one random one:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5001

You need to have a way to bring along your chest full of beer (or maybe hard stuff for internal warming)! But seriously, might be a good solution for bringing along all the extra stuff you might want in the winter.

Edit: oops. I see you mentioned pulks in one of your other posts further down.

In that case for big and cheap +1 on Jam. Use your sleeping pad, which I'm guessing will be substantial, for more support. The bag can handle the weight (within reason) and I'm guessing heavy jacket will tend to mitigate any added shoulder digging.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools