Topic

ULtimate Esbit System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals ULtimate Esbit System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Not the best photo I've ever taken, but here are the components:

UltimateEsbitSystem

From the left side of picture:

6g TriPod folding 2" high pot support, made out of stainless steel rods and brass tubes. Somewhat delicate, but handles a full 1.3L Evernew with no trouble.

2g aluminum Base and 2g titanium FireRing burner, with air inlet ports that can be down for a 15-minute full-heat burn, or up for a 30-35 minute simmer or dry baking. FireRing burner stores flat without being taken apart.

6g aluminum BakePan that comes as a flat sheet that can be folded into a ~3"x3" square baking pan, then flattened out again to be packed up.

2g titanium XSpacer to go under the BakePan in your pot so that there is no bottom burning. Also stores completely flat. The Base can be folded in thirds around the flattened FireRing and XSpacer to make a nice compact bundle in your pouch or pot.

More photos and a couple videos are at my ULtimate Esbit System page.

The idea of this system was to be as light, versatile, and multipurpose as possible. I'll be interested to see what folks think about it. It will work with just about any pot and windscreen, and will also work with a FireFly stove used with a WindShield to create a full circle of wind protection around the burner.

BTW, today is the LAST DAY of my March Madness Sale. Just sayin . . .

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Enjoyed the video. How would this work with a Caldera Cone setup? And what pot are you using in the video?

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Now that's a great question.

The cone is a great windscreen, so no problem there.
    You would not need the TriPod pot support.

The FireRing and Base should work pretty well, though the Gram Cracker burner from Trail Designs puts the Esbit cube about a half inch higher. If you found this made a significant difference, you could always slip a couple twigs under the Base to raise it a half inch, or bend the ends of the Base down to prop it up a half inch.

If you want to simmer or dry bake, the ability of the ULtimate System to extend the Esbit cube burn time to 30-35 minutes would allow for simmering or dry baking in your pot, which the unmodified Gram Cracker does not.

Bottom Line: I think it would work just fine.

The pot I used in the video is an Evernew 900 ml Mug/Pot. It's my favorite pot for use with my FireFly stove. An MSR Titan (I'm told) is very similar.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools