Topic

Oval or square stuff sack/ drysack for sleeping bag, not round…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Oval or square stuff sack/ drysack for sleeping bag, not round…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Im looking for a stuff sack that is rectangular shape that will fit at the base of my small backpack.

I need one because my pack is tiny, and uncontained down takes up too much space.

I dont really care if its rolltop, but if it is it should be event, so it molds to the backpack a bit better.

STS has some event ones, 2 oz though. Granite Gear has the cuben event ones, expensive ($50) though.

A stuff sack would be perfect, but it would need to be square, not a cylinder.

michael levi

@m-l

Does anyone know how the Zpacks medium plus is constructed?

Is it a square bottom?

Dimensions: 7" diameter by 13.5" tall (18 cm x 34 cm) (520 cubic inches / 8.5L)

Any input appreciated.zpacks

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

…is oval I guess??

Def more oval than round as it is joined at the bottom and does not have a round bit of fabric as a bottom. I have a medium roll type dry bag as well as some of their regular stuff sacks and like them a lot. Not sure how durable in the long run the regular stuff sacks will be tho…. (No personal experience, just passing on rumor and heresay…..)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Here is a picture of my small zpacks stuff sack with my kitchen odds and ends in it. It CAN be kind of square at the bottom….

Stuff sack

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm not getting it as usual but even if it has a square bottom the rest is still gonna come out round once stuffed unless someone has developed a hard sided stuff sack

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Zpacks are just sewed across bottom and up one side, then taped.
    It comes out kind of oval near bottom, and round in the middle.
    Anything square or rectangular will come out round as well after stuffing.
    Unless you use a hard shaped liner of some kind.

Unless you overcompress it and make it hard, it will take up whatever shape you cram it in to in the pack though.

When I need the room, I will put my down quilt into a zpacks medium drybag, squeeze it down , put my clothing in on top of it, squeeze it down, and roll it down.

It will fit crosswise in the bottom of my packs that way. Tighter fit in some, than others, but it fits at very bottom. Thats for big food carries, only time I need to squeeze it down that far.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Besides the cuben, Granite Gear makes the Air Bags: http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Bags-P141C51.aspx
    Even the largest at 16L is only slightly over an ounce.

If you needed a pillow-stuff-sack, they have: http://www.granitegearstore.com/Pillowsack-P80C51.aspx
    I think this would be too small for a bag.

The Sea-to-Summit eVac Dry sack (eVent) has an oval bottom; 2 oz though.

michael levi

@m-l

That GG airbag which is a stuff sack with an oval bottom is exactly what im looking for.

Now I just need to find a place that sells them with reasonable shipping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools