Topic

Waterfilter for 21 grams (0.74 oz)!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterfilter for 21 grams (0.74 oz)!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

I don’t think you can get this filter in the States, but I think that it is one of the lightest waterfilters available:

http://www.careplus.nl/website.asp?l=en

then click on: products

then on: Waterfilter

I found out that if you pull the mouth piece of the platypus off the tube this filter will attach to the tube!

What do you think of it?

Eins

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

In the Forum “Food, Hydration and Nutrition”, there is a subject titled Hydration and water sources. In the threads there, you see a McNett filter straw which may be an alternative, if the CarePlus is not available in the states.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Einstein:

Interesting indeed. How hard do you have to suck on this thing?

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

I dunno, haven’t bought it yet. But I will in about a week or so. When I do I will let you know.

Eins

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

I just bought the filter :)

It is only slightly harder to suck the water through the filter then through the normal mouth piece of a Platypus tube. By keeping my 1 liter Platypus high, gravity alone is enough to pull the water through the filter, so you can filter your water before cooking.

I only wonder how much debries will build up inside my platypus on a long hike. But I guess I’ll find that out when I’m in Scotland.

Eins

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good to know, and thanks for posting.

Have a safe and fun trip in Scotland!

Phil Simcich

@kb9wfq

I know that most filters say they remove 99.9999% of germs. What I worry about is that 0.00001% that “make the cut.” Those are some tough little bugs!

So I use iodine. I don’t know how much the little bottle weighs, but it is very little. For filtering out sediment, I’ve found that the best thing is either a couple of coffee filters (how much do two coffee filters weigh?) or just use a bandana folded twice. That takes out most of the particles.

Not sick yet,
    Phil

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Phil,

If you haven’t done so already, check out Aqua Mira for chemical water purification. Use the forum Search feature to search all of the forum threads for more info on Aqua Mira. Also, check out the product “Catalog” on this website for more info.

You might decide to switch from Iodine to Aqua Mira. And then again, maybe not, but at least, if you haven’t done so already, you will learn something about another, possibly superior, means of chemical water purification.

Hope this info helps.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Phil,

Though presently out of stock (and expected back in stock around July 10), Aqua Mira is also available in a Kit Form with 2 bottles to repackage the liquids and a strainer at Gossamer Gear- http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Aqua-Mira.html for $11.99 with free shipping included.

Aqua Mira as Chlorine Dioxide does not have the iodine taste and the potential problems due to prolonged ingestion of iodine.

Rich

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools