Topic

Sawyer squeeze filter container alternatives

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer squeeze filter container alternatives

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

So I was playing around with gear today, when I decided to fill up one of my Sawyer bladders (the 32oz one that came with it along with two others) to use as water storage for a short hike around my neighborhood to check to see how it was holding up. I had read some reports that they broke easily. I coincidentally dropped the bladder (not hard or anything, just a butter-fingers moment, and it fell onto a rug no less), and it popped and water went all over. I am glad I dropped it, in spite of the mess, because I was thinking about using it on some section hikes coming up.

I toyed around with using a recycled plastic bottle, but this slows up the process of getting potable water, as I have to unscrew the filter every now and then to let air back into the bottle so that I can continue to squeeze it. So I nixed that idea after a few tests.

So then I got a Platypus 1 liter water bladder and attached it to the filter, and it seems to work just fine. I tested it quite thoroughly, and no leaking and worked just like the included Sawyer filters. Yet I have read several times that Platys don't work with this filter, that the threads don't match.

Is there anyone that uses a Sawyer Squeeze filter with a Platy with the same apparent success? I would look into the Evernew bladders, but not only do they not sell them here in Sweden that I am aware of, but they are hard to find in the USA from what I gather.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Older Platy models apparently do fit the Sawyer threads. For new Platy models, most who have tried say that it does not fit but some have reported success. Evernew is the only other bag I know of that is supposed to fit. They have been back-ordered but are supposed to start arriving in the USA in the next few weeks (or so I was told just a couple of days ago by a vendor with whom I have a back-order).

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Cool, thanks JR. Good thing I had an older Play laying around. I got it a few years ago, and have used it a handful of times on overnight trips, but prefer ridged plastic bottles to drink/pour from.

You would think that based on how popular this filter seems to be, that Platypus would come out with a bladder that can work with it and to fill in the clear demand that exists for the Evernew bladders.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

and, you can just line up the Platy with the Sawyer bottle and eyeball the thread size. It's easy to see if it's different.

Sawyer – good – 1/8th inch (4/32nd)

Platy – bad – 5/32nd inch

(my crude measurement)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Cesar,

I cannot for the life of me tell you which platy's work and which do not. I can tell you that a 2013 Sawyer filter and a 2013-purchased Platypus bottle mate perfectly with no leaks.

It's so difficult to tell, that I would say, if it seems like it fits, it does.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

jerry adams finally got the engineering, I believe he's the first person to actually discover what the differences are, or at least the first one to post the measurements that I've read.

For the record, some old 90s platypuses, the squarish ones, work perfectly. 2012/2011 era purchased ones do not work, but the key word is purchased, since there is no telling when REI actually received those bags from platy. All evernews work from what I read, and they are nicer bags anyway so to me it's a no brainer.

Same would go for 2013 purchased, if they are newly received, they should work according to reports, but if they were old inventory they could well not work.

And yes, the ones that leak do not just slightly leak, they are totally and utterly unusable, for the reasons that jerry noted, the threads are simply not compatible, no matter what you try with using different washers etc.

Nice to see someone actually figure out the difference in a measurable way though.

I am not surprised to see those bags popped when dropped, they are just not strong enough, that's self evident, though I did find a great use for the 1/2 liter bag, I cut the top part off and use it as a water scoop for the dirty water bag. Also wraps nicely around the sawyer so I can put it all in a nice little mesh stuff sack I made for it.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Jerry – Thanks for the measurements, that ought to help people.

Max – Cool that the new Platy and new filter work, looks like you lucked out.

Harald – I bought the Platy that fits in a small shop in upstate NY in 2010. It is not square, and is black and weighs 25g. I bought my filter almost exactly last year.

Cool that you found a nice use for the Sawyer bag, not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip. I still have the small Sawyer bag sitting around… hmm… might have to tinker around with my water system some more ;)

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Dug out the small Sawyer (16oz) bladder, cut the top off, went to the bathroom and filled it up with water and it pours fairly well and holds much more water than what I used to use before, which was a 8oz Ti mug I very recently nixed from my cook kit. Plus the Ti mug is 37g and a bit bulky vs a decapitated small bladder which clocks in at 8g(!), and has the added benefit of very little bulk. I could also use this small water scoop to put out campfires, and to help with hobo showers. Also could use it as a container to hold wild berries and such. Very cool.

Might just make it into my new gear list.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools