Topic

Wal-mart Ozark Zone down sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Wal-mart Ozark Zone down sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JP Hiker

@dustkicker

I just came across a light weight down bag at a local Walmart for $80 in the store and $70 online. It would be a good buy for someone looking for an inexpensive bag . It has a rip stop nylon fabric, rated at 32 degrees, 90% duck down and 10% feathers, weighs 1.5lbs and is 85x30x20. The bag unzips almost completely leaving the footbox.
    http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/Ozark-Trail-32-Degree-Adult-Sleeping-Bag-Peacock-Blue-Black/22008955

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Looks like a steal, I wonder the fill weight and power.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Saw this last night, its super tiny, it comes compressed too much imo. Great deal compared to the other massive bags they have. I think it said it weighs 740 grams on the packaging.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I would bet this is more like a 40 deg bag. You need anut 12 oz of 800 fillto get to 32 f. So that is about 16 oz of 600 fill. That means you only have 8 oz for shell and zippers with is what the high end guys do. Probably closer to 12 oz of 600 fill and 12 oz shell.

Still an amazing deal

William Coulam

@bcoulam

Locale: Northern Utah Rockies

Since I was about to recommend this steal of a bag to my scouts' parents, I decided to spend a night in it last night. Finished up working really late and didn't feel like pitching a tent, so I laid down an Exped UL7 mat on our trampoline, then took it out of the sack and fluffed it up. I climbed into a pair of wool socks, a set of poly thermal bottoms and sweat pants, and a midweight top and wool beanie. Climbed into a Sea to Summit Reactor liner (claims to lower a bag's comfort zone by 10 to 20 degrees; I'd say more like 10) and then into the bag. Temps dropped to 33-35 degrees.

I was OK and there were a couple cold spots, but I survived. Not toasty though, especially not with this little amount of fill. I'd say this is a great lightweight summer bag, comfortable to 45 degrees, or as a really packable second bag for shoulder and winter trips.

Without the sack it weighs 1lb 7oz. Trimming or removing the enormous drawstring could shave another ounce or so.

It does smell like you'd imagine a large building with thousands of ducks would smell. I'm thinking the bag's manufacturer didn't bother with a cleanliness clause in the contract with their down supplier. Or is this how all duck down smells? Some folks may have trouble with allergic response to this down and should try it out before relying on it for an extended trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, not all duck down smells like that. The duck down pillows that i opened up a little while back, didn't have a strong scent at all. It was certified "American" gray duck down (i suspect by American they mean North American, and really it means Canadian). I suspect the ultra cheapest Chinese duck down probably doesn't get cleaned very well. I got the pillows from Costco. Costco tends to have a decent quality inspection and control as to the products they purchase in bulk to sale, and i don't think they would sell stinky pillows.

Josh Potter

@mrjoshpotter

Locale: Central Coast, CA

Actually saw this at WM the other night killing some time. Perhaps William can double check his but I'm 90% sure the tag said 6.7oz fill weight….

Josh

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools