Topic

Yoga poses for on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Yoga poses for on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

I've just recently started utilizing yoga on the trail and have been loving it. My knowledge of all the different poses is still very minimal, so if there are any Yogi's out there who have some pose suggestions for on the trail stretches they'd be greatly appreciated-thanks amigos

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you carry a smartphone while out, there are some pretty good yoga programs that show poses and such.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just don't wear Lululemon pants.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I don't remember the proper name of it but for hip flexors (heavily used when hiking up hill) I like the pose where you assume the position as if sitting in a chair with one leg crossed over the other.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

"Just don't wear Lululemon pants."

But they're extremely breathable!

Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

Thanks for all the great tips and I don't think I'll be picking up any lululemon pants any time soon haha.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'm new to yoga as well(2 months), on 4/27 my studio is having a seminar on yoga for runners and hikers. I'll report back on what I learn.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Learn the sequence called Surya Namaskara and do this before you set off every day and you will be good to go.
    I do it every morning, five times, hiking or not. It streaches every muscle in your body, and regulates breathing.
    Once you've done it for a week, you will remember it forever. Memory is ultralight!
    Fred

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

This sounds really, really wimpy, but I hike mostly in national parks, with established campsites that are pounded to dust. I don't particularly enjoy rolling around in the dirt. So, does anyone take anything to serve as a yoga mat for the floor poses? Piece of plastic? Polycryo? Just look for a grassy spot when available?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Diane, you could use one of these any size or thickness you want or what ever brand you want and it is multi use.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Erica R.
    Spectator

@skrapp138

Locale: Between the Rockies and the Sierras

I've used a Sea to Summit towel – dual use!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I find it doesn't stretch my hip flexors or adductors/abductors very well. I should say that I am not flexible enough to do Downward Dog with my heels and hands on the floor at the same time. I use (I think it's called) Dying or Wounded Pigeon to stretch out my piriformis, but I don't know a specific Yoga stretch for the Iliotibial band or the hip flexors.

Any suggestions?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

For hip flexors the Warrior 1 pose is awesome. For an IT band stretch try this

Starting Position: Stand upright and cross your right leg behind your left.

Action: Lean slightly forwards and to your left side until you feel a stretch on the outside of your right leg. Lean on a chair/wall if needed. Hold for 30 secs

In addition, if you have chronic IT band issues I have found the best long term remedy is to strengthen you legs through a squats, lunges etc…and then build up further with shorter, medium, longer hikes. You can also use a foam roller on it occasionally.

Matthew Davis

@teddygavi

Locale: B.C

I am a RYT 200HR YA+ registered Yoga instructor. I have been exploring wilderness in a lightweight style for the last 3 years, and in a much heavier way all my life. I am new to Backpacking light and I am happy I found this great resource and I hope i contribute to it. I also hope I don't have too many typos or link errors :)

Given that this thread combines those two interests I figure I might have some knowledge others may find useful.

First, Yoga is a lifestyle and a philosophy for understanding the world, Asana (postures) are what we commonly know in the west to be the "stretches" Properly executed the practice of Yoga is one of the best ways I have found to stay mentally and physically fit for life on and off the trail.

Some of the best "stretches" are the Sūryānamaskāra A&B that was already mentioned, They warm your muscles up and clear you mind for the day. Practiced with proper vinyasa (breathing) the Sūryānamaskāra is one of the best and safest calisthenic exercises you can perform.

**As a note here, I say calisthenic because what we practice in the west and arguably all over the world as "yoga" today is largely a amalgamation of ~100 years of Indian calisthenic tradition. Anyone who is interested in this history should read Mark Singleton's "Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice".
    Yoga Body

Getting back on topic, those who are seriously interested in the practice of Yoga, to rehab, to exercise, to gain a clearer mind, should consult a physician before undergoing any physical practice, especially if you are recovering from an injury, and/or if you have any outstanding medical concerns. Notably, blood pressure issues are of special concern.

The type of Yoga that I practice is called Ashtanga Yoga, named for its 8-limbed approach. I would suggest going to my teachers website Ashtanga Yoga Canada, not just because they are my teachers, but also they have put together a set of very clear (and FREE) resources about Ashtanga Yoga, including "posture posters" that show you what, and how to practice. There is also youtube! what a great resource. Also they have a website that is specifically dedicated to their Shala Ashtanga Yoga Victoria

I would also suggest to find yourself a dedicated, kind, and disciplined teacher in your area to guide you through the first few sessions of practice and if money is an issues at least return once a month for a "update" so to speak, on your practice.

This is only my humble opinion on my very limited experience with the practice of Ashtanga Yoga (~8 years). It is a lifelong and difficult process of self-inquiry and self advancement, it is ultimately selfish, but deeply rewarding on many levels.

If anyone wants any more specific information or guidelines for how to go about searching out a teacher in your area I would be more then happy to consult with via e-mail. Send me a PM and we can go from there.

Regards,
    Matt.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

"Learn the sequence called Surya Namaskara"
    +1 on that.
    If it is all you do it will make a tremendous difference and try to do both the A and B variants, 5 reps each, or 10 of the "A" if you can't do the B at all. If done properly on level ground, only your palms and tops and bottoms of your feet will see any dirt, maybe a little on your knees.
    For a beginner I would suggest working the other hip/leg joints with:

Padangustasana
    Utthita Trikonasana
    Utthita Parsvakonasana-A
    Prasarita Padottanasana-A
    and for balance:
    Utthita Hasta Padangustasana

Finish with Padmasana if you can sit in lotus.
    Then rest for 20 minutes in Savasana.
    Skip the sitting postures not mentioned here that can cause injury if your diet is not right, stomach and intestines not empty.

Summary- above all else, the Suryanamaskara is done quickly to build heat which loosens muscles in preparation for the other asanas, gets the blood and breath flowing. The Suryanamaskara set alone should be plenty enough for on the trail and will add less than 30 min to your routine including the corpse pose rest period.

(I studied under David Williams and K Pattabhi Jois and his son Manju, 1975 to 1979. Maui , HI and Encinitas CA.
    Good luck and good health, cheers, and don't forget mula bhanda.
    DC

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools