Topic

Warranty expectations from high end gear companies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warranty expectations from high end gear companies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Troll. Also, I wasn't trying to get back more $$$, just wanted a dang jacket that wasn't defective. Asking for a Kimtah to replace my Kimtah isn't asking for more. Its asking for the same thing.

It's not anything that would have been unreasonable to any other manufacturer, which is my point. If I bought a mountain hardwear epic jacket at REI on sale, and went to Mountain Hardear for warranty because it was defective, regardless of the fact it was on sale, they would replace or repair it. And if that failed, as with the situation with the OP, I could return it at REI.

However, my jacket was manufactured by REI, so I did not receive the same dual warranty coverage, which helps the original post.

On the other hand, your response attacking me helps nobody, only serves your need to troll these forums.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

oh bull

you paid CLEARANCE price for a jacket … and you take it back and expect a new jacket that costs full price … ie you want MORE than what you paid

realistically REI or MEC cant allow that … as people like you can go buy stuff on clearance, come back later and return it (for any reason at all which they allow) and get the current model year for no extra costs the same day

they gave you what you PAID …

trolling … cry me a river … im not the one whinning about REI not giving me more that what i paid …

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Far from exposing REI as having an unsatisfactory warranty policy, An-D has actually convinced me that REI is amazingly good.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

After rereading the posts I get his point if they have the same product available and its their brand they should replace it. I would try again. I have a love hate relationship with montbell love their products (if theyre made right) hate their warranty/service dept I really had to squeek to get taken care of one time.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I often pay more at REI than need be if I were to bargain shop elsewhere. The dividend program is certainly outstanding but it's their customer service reputation that keeps me coming back.

Case in point – I stopped by our local store and asked for them to order an item for me. Apparently, when they have to order the item from another store, they by policy (as explained to me later) will charge the customer postage even if it's delivered to the store. They didn't and I left the store none the wiser.

A couple weeks later I return to order another item and once again, it was only available from another store. When I learned that I would need to pay postage, I politely mentioned that I didn't have to for the previous purchase. The sales associate explained the process to me but then proceeded to waive the postage fee.

I explained to her that I wasn't trying to pressure her into giving me something I wasn't entitled to but that I was just trying to figure out the process and the inconsistency. She actually insisted on waiving the postage and I left a happy customer. I was polite and respectful to her and vice versa.

REI's customer service is second to none in my book but maybe if I would have gotten ugly with her I may have received "job description service" and paid the postage. Who knows but this otherwise unremarkable event has solidified my loyalty to that store. It's remarkable that REI has empowered their sales associates to keep the customer happy when every other major retailer seems to be going the other direction.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I don't think anyone should ever expect to get a new product when returning one. The most one should expect is their money refunded. More and more businesses are now refunding your money period. Want an exchange? They give you your money back and you can repurchase. If they give you your money back then you are out nothing. Actually you might be ahead if you used the product successfully prior to the return. I'm afraid to many good companies have spoiled "us". We now expect them to "go above and beyond".

Jan S

@karl-ton

Producers pay a lot less for a product then the customer. From a business point of view it's always better to exchange the product then to give a full refund. So I wouldn't actually expect a refund but a new product – provided the defect is covered by warranty or it generates enough goodwill with customers.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Replacement is never a problem. Either replacement or refund should be considered making the customer whole.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I've had experience with all these companies:

Arc'teryx – slow and not the best. They replaced a jacket for me, but it took a while [and I live right next to their HQ]. I now need a new part on a pack [my most important pack] and I worry that may take weeks or months. Kind of a strange company if you ask me and their products are hit/miss and of course the priciest out there.

Patagonia – stellar warranty/service

MEC – stellar warranty/service

Cascade Designs [for MSR and Platypus] – stellar warranty/service

Exped – stellar warranty/service

Chaco – stellar warranty/service

Mountain Hardwear – Emailed warranty dept. a few times regarding a tent pole issue – never heard back.

Black Diamond – Excellent

TNF [late 1990s] – Excellent

I agree with the earlier post, that buying as much as possible from a great retailer is the best defence. MEC has been fantastic for me. Shipping stuff back to another company, esp. across borders, can get pricey.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools