Topic

Warranty expectations from high end gear companies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warranty expectations from high end gear companies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I've not used warranty much so would like to gather some opinions.

I sent two jackets to be warranty fixed at Arc'Teryx and the entire process took nearly 4 months from the date I mailed them – i'm in the USA. Their communication was substandard with huge gaps in time from receipt to being inspected, etc, and they didn't even notify me when they shipped them. they were one day away from being returned since I did not know fedex had attempted to deliver them and not left a notice at my door.

They did not fix everything requested even though I noted I would pay for the service if it was not covered by the warranty.

is this typical of most high end companies? Should i be wary of other companies with similar warranty claims?

I've moved my focus to OR and patagucci if I need new gear now but have not had to warranty anything from them. are they any better?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I don't look to the manufacturer. I prefer to look to the distributor. Zappos.com, REI.com, and Backcountry.com have nice unconditional guarantees for stuff. if a coat fails, I'd rather get a new coat than have the old one fixed to fail again.

Case and point: I had a Marmot Super Mica as my winter shell, but I beat it up too much and a faulty seam split all the way across the back under normal use. lesson learned; I went to the distributor and had it replaced with a Patagonia Paclite shell, much more durable.

Now, I've solved the problem of "What company do I trust" without losing an Arcteryx-sized wad of cash.

I have never dealt with Arcteryx and I never plan to. I'll just go to Backcountry if I have issues with my Arc gear. I highly recommend you go that route.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

Thanks for the advice. i think you are right!

i always try to buy on discount, etc and generally do not buy from brick and mortar stores but have recently been visiting REI more often and just got their credit card last week!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I had a warranty issue with an Arc'teryx jacket two years ago and my experience was completely different. They replaced the jacket and I had a new one within two weeks.

Have to contacted them after the items were returned to you?

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

REI, MEC, Backcountry etc are the best warrenties there are. No questions ask replacement gear if it fails and you aren't satisfied. The question is are you willing to pay the extra for it if the manuafacturer also backs the item.

Marmot – refuses to replace delaminating jackets because their lifetime warrenty is the lifetime of the garmet and not your lifetime

Outdoor Research – No questions asked, excellant service, quick turn around

Patagonia – No personal experience but knowing people who have dealt with them they have been exceptional. No questions asked

Thermarest (Cascade Designs) – Awsome warrenty covers everything put punctures which you can fix yourself. They replace for delamination and seem leaks. There warrenty is good enough for me that I don't buy my pads at MEC and REI and get them on discount at other stores.

I would say your experience at Arctyrex is not typical with my experience from the good companies OR, Pata, and Thermarest. Sounds like my experience from Marmot.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I sent arcteryx a shell about 3-4 years ago for warranty and within a few days they had called me and told me to go to their site and pick out any jacket I want and within a few days I had a new shell.

I must admit I was expecting something similar this time. I didn't expect a new shell as it was a pretty basic fix, I think, and didnt warrant a new jacket but I did expect prompt service.

Definitely not the case any longer. I complained a number of times by calling them and eventually emailing them once I got a CS reps contact info. She was polite and helpful but clearly could not or did not want to do anything to help move things along.

To make matters worse, I bought an ALPHA FL jacket since I needed a shell for this winter and it was clear I would not get the others back. $400 and the jacket is not even water proof even when exposed for only 30 minutes in steady rain…

they told me to mail in for warranty. HA, no thanks…but not sure what to do with it. an awfully expensive wind shell!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The coating on my Marmot Precip started flaking off big time and Marmot replaced it for free. The cause wasn't normal wear-and-tear, there apparently was a flaw in the coating process.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Re Marmot Precip,

That sounds like the same situation as my Wifes precip that Marmot refused to replace. Instead it went back to REI.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Has anybody had a precip that didn't delam? Lol

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not high end, but Kelty fixed one of my packs for free. It was only 41 years old. If a retailer is absorbing the cost of warrantying a product that cost is built into the purchase price.

steven franchuk

@surf

The Marmont Precip acceding to the web uses a waterproof breathable polyurethane coating. Polyurethane is the least stable of all plastics. Eventually the polyurethane will get sticky, break apart and flake off, or just determinate. even if it sits unused in the closet for a long time. Just about every polyurethane coated item I have had, had to be replaced after 10 years due to failure of the polyurethane, if not earlier. Only a few items have lasted longer.

Most of my gear was purchased through REI. The few problem items I have had were addressed by replacement or repair in a timely manner.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

These are manufacturers' warranties you reference, I think.

Agree with the posters who suggest that sellers' return policies, that can amount to warranties of satisfaction really, are much more useful. REI, MEC, and Backcountry were mentioned. And there is always Bean's. Have noticed that EMS has a pretty good return policy also. With these sellers, you can just return a defective item to where you bought it for a refund, and spend the money on a better product. Common sense suggests there are some reasonable limits. Like throwing the item into a vat of acid and then returning it, for example. But short of customer abuse of a return policy, it's way more convenient to be able to just return a defective item to the seller and get your money back.

I recently had to return a defective air cleaner to the manufacturer when the seller insisted on me using for former's warranty. Two months, a ton of expensive packaging and mailing, a failure to fully fix (like with the OP) and a threat of complaints to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and many others – a super PITA, but a good squeaky wheel artist gets the grease eventually. Not all of us are artists, and even then it is of no use if you just happen be dealing with a gear version of the soup nazi. Just returning it to the seller for a refund would have been so much easier.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

Person experience in with warranty service.

Big Agnes

Fast repair department so if its your fault they can fix it. Five star service great communication fast and friendly.

EXPED

Exceeded my expectations in both the products quality and customer service.

MSR

You can't do much better easy fast warranty service fantastic products. They repair pads offer replacement parts.

Brunton—- Fast replacement.

Keen

Great experience with Keen sole separated took a picture sent an email and credit for new shoes in a week.

Patagonia—- Great products great customer service.

Marmot

Slow slow slow but they took care of a delaminating fly on a tent. If you have a problem with a tent that is non warranty they offer a half price replacement.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rei will only replace with item of exact same season/year and price. If you bought it at clearance and/or they do a refresh update to the product for the next season, then you're SOL. Happened to me and a REI Kimtah event jacket. Bought a 2010 version new on clearance. Less than 10 months later, the whole zipper seam tape was failing so I took it in for a replacement and they said they would not replace it with the current Kimtah because mine was the past version and on sale.

REI only stands behind the purchase price, not the product when it comes to REI branded products. Even though they say they'll provide a replacement or refund, no questions asked, they have a hidden/unwritten rule that you only get a replacement if you paid full price and they haven't changed the season number on the tag.

I've had great experiences with Big Agnes. They replaced my IAC pad that was a couple years old, free of charge and in less than 4 business days.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

An-D,
    I've never heard of that. I've had pieces of gear returned that were out of season and they've always been ok with that. Even with REI branded items. Maybe you have a manager at your REI with a bone to pick. I can even do stuff like use my member's 20% off coupon early before it officially is released. I've even overheard sales associates telling customers that NO MATTER WHAT, even if they beat the hell out of something, they can return it.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

REI will always issue a refund, for any reason, that's true. What Travis is saying is that they don't *replace* the item. If the exact same thing is available at the same price, what seems like an exchange is really a refund plus re-purchase. But that can also be an advantage if you purchase something at full price and you take it back because it breaks and it's now on sale; they will give you the new item plus refund the difference in price as well.

Manufacturers, on the other hand, usually don't like to give refunds and are much more likely to replace the item with the current model. If they no longer make the item, they'll usually replace it with the next model up.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

you cant expect a company realistically to credit you more than you paid for it … come on folks …

MEC does the same thing, they will credit the value you paid … if a new one costs more you pay the difference … thats life … and VERY reasonable especially as you get a same day refund/credit and basically a no questions asked policy

the gold standard for warranty is MEC, REI, backcountry, EB, OR, etc … note that NONE of these are considered "high end"

i think its absolutely pitiful that some "high end" brands dont have the same warranty as the "common" ones … its ironic that one of the things fans brag about is the "service" for some of these brands

i take my business to companies that will take cover the goods promptly, without argument and without jumping through hoops … and if it costs less, even better

;)

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a lousy manager. The employee processing the return was more than happy to get everything started, but needed authorization because of the price/season difference and his manager told him no. Management saying no to standing behind the product = REI not standing behind the product. Again, the product was defective, and the replacement/return (they list replacement first in their official policy) is supposed to cover the product. Offering to refund me my money doesn't solve the issue of me having purchased a defective jacket when all I wanted was a working jacket as a replacement.

I also emailed REI and they also said they do not offer replacements…. Even though their policy clearly state that they do and make no mention of seasonal/price conditionality anywhere. They said they would send my issue up the ladder, but have not heard from them in over a month.

So pretty much, if you buy REI brand, don't buy it on sale or you'll be out $$ if it ends up being defective and they change the season code/"refresh" the line. A return/rebuy is not the same as a replacement.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

They are giving you your money back… I could not ask for more

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

The fact that there is a $$ difference is inconsequential when the product, a REI Kimtah jacket in my case, is clearly defective and they have replacements, again kimtah jackets sitting right there on the rack, readily available.

The return policy doesn't state that it's a replacement or refund at REI's discretion, it simply states a replacement or refund if I'm not happy with the product for any reason. It's not like I wanted my jacket replaced with some other, super expensive jacket and it's not like the product no longer existed. I wanted my defective Kimtah replaced with the Kimtah they had in stock, but REI failed to stand behind their product.

I still love REI and believe they're generous with and generally stand behind their policy, but my experience definitely makes me think twice before I buy any REI branded items. If you buy non REI brand stuff, not only do you get REI's return policy, but also manufacturer support for repairs, etc.

Mostly just upset at the situation I experienced because as far as the REI cashier was concerned, my jacket was defective and I should have gotten a replacement. Then the manager swoops in and only thinks of the bottom line and denies the replacement.

Juliana Cho
    Spectator

@choyoyo

Last year, I brought my sister's rei branded pad in to the store because of a leaky valve (the pad was 2 years old or so at the time). I asked if they could repair it. They couldn't find it in their system because it was purchased before my sister had a membership, so they didn't have any idea on purchase price. Instead they grabbed a new one and handed it to me, no questions asked.

I still think it's reasonable to just be refunded the purchase price for a previous season's purchase. Full replacement is something I associate with manufacturers. REI's guarantee states, "We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don’t even need a receipt—we'll have a record of your purchase." and from the language, I think it gives them wiggle room that the replacement or refund could possibly be at their discretion.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

"Full replacement is something I associate with manufacturers"

Exactly, but the problem was that REI was the manufacturer in my case. And while you received the replacement even though the product could not be found in their systems, I did not, even though the cashier already grabbed and scanned the replacement that was later denied by the manager.

So there's an inconsistency with how such a simple/straight forward return policy is interpreted from store to store, employee to employee.

I'm not trying to flame them, or say their policy isn't outstanding.
    Just venting my frustrations at the particular situation I faced.

I still love REI, and spend a lot more money there than I should. Just really don't like the particular manager I dealt with and the response (also lack of further action as they promised) I got from corporate.

Sorry I steered this thread off topic. Back to the OP: Most manufacturers carried at REI have great warranty policies and that coupled with REI's (and Backcountry.com, MEC, etc) great return policy means you'll be well taken care of.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its utterly and totally unrealistic …

i mean i dont expect to walk into MEC, buy a clerance jacket for 59$ … then a few months later come back and trade it in for a 200$ one …

you got your money back … you GOT WHAT YOU PAID …

if you dont like it buy somewhere else

MEC doesnt bother with exchanges anymore realistically, they just credit you … and you then buy what you want or walk out the door with your money…

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

If you read my post, you would see that REI was the retailer AND the manufacturer. Also, I don't see how it's "utterly and totally unrealistic" when their return policy guarantees satisfaction.

I'm not trying to abuse the system so don't try to make it out like I'm some guy out to con REI out of money. It's not like I was returning a 2 year olds pair of shoes worn to shreds claiming they were uncomfortable or returning high end baby running strollers because it was "too small" for the child after a few years, or "trading" up for the $$ as you suggest.

I was returning a jacket that had seam tape coming off all along both sides of the zipper after less than 10 months of ownership.

Again, I was just sharing my experience here on the forum as the OP had a bad experience with a company that normally handles customers well.

You, on the other hand, are trolling and being rude and not adding anything constructive to the thread.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

youre the one trying to justify getting more than what you paid for the item through multiple posts

i mean you pay XXXX dollars, you get back XXXX dollars with no questions asked, the same day in cold hard cash … at any time you want

REI, MEC, etc has stellar warranties … so much in fact that some here often COMPLAIN about how good it is and how people take advantage of it …

youre the first ive seen complain about how you couldnt get MORE than what you paid

now THATS rude ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools