Topic

Anyone ever regret a thru hike??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Anyone ever regret a thru hike??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jennifer,

I would ask, what to you want out of this hike?

When I was young I did two 6-month hikes. Basically started in the southern Sierras with no goal and destination in mind. Started hiking north. After 3 months I turned around and returned, not always taking the same trails back. I was alone most of the time, which I think was the best part. Those trips are in my mind. The memories cannot be lost or taken away from me. I cannot assign a value of any sort to them. They are there, big and and somewhat difficult to quantify.

I have thought about doing the PCT. The one thing that does not appeal to me is the social aspect, a time table to get to the end, and the constant re-supply along the trail to meet your time table. To me it sounds more like a job than an adventure.

When I was newly married (the first time) my wife and I did a 3 month, 10,000 mile motorcycle trip from Calif, to NY, through parts of Canada, and back. We towed a miniature tent trailer and it was a great trip. Different kind of trip, different goals. Different memories.

When I was 50 (and single again) I lived and worked from a tent trailer. Camped in all kinds of great places and worked a few days each week in locations around the southwest. Wonderful life and again had a great time. This was my nomadic stage of life. No great memories, just a sense of satisfaction of living in the work-world on my terms.

When I had kids, I didn't have the urge to do long hikes away from family. I still hiked a lot; but raising kids was job #1 and there was a lot of life satisfaction to this. I wouldn't change that period of time for anything. No regrets during this phase of life.

I have been married to my 2nd wife for 10 years. I am thinking about a possible PCT through hike. I think I may want to do one last big solo adventure. But I don't know that I want to be away from my wife for 6 months; and there is no way she would be willing to join me. The PCT would allow me to stay in frequent contact with her, but in my mind the frequent contact with her and others on the trail might diminish the "adventure" piece of the experience. It would not be as much fun as other adventures in the past. It would be a compromise for me.

I have made a lot of life-changing decisions; decisions that might impact career and even family relationships negatively. Once I have mentally determined "no regrets" no matter what the outcome; even if worst case scenario happens, I go for it.

Sounds like career, family or income are not an issue for you. That is good, because for many folks that is the overriding factor why they don't do something they dream about. So again, what do you want out of this trip? If it is something you just have to do; do it. If it is not a fire in your soul, reconsider.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

As always, your insights are solid. Thank you. Now back to regular programming.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

This conversation is much more balanced (and rational) than the typical " I'm going to chuck my job and hike."

Ben, you post is a very different take and one that in hindsight in my life makes the most sense.

Jennifer,
    I was fortunate to be able to take a leave of absence from my Company to hike the PCT. I literally went back to work the morning after arriving back in Atlanta. Your post detailing the ease that you can return to a similar job leads me to put your situation in pot the same bucket as mine, you are putting a career on hold likely to pick it up upon your return. So assuming you can fund the short term then there is little downside to doing it.

Nick,
    Since you live on the west coast, have your wife follow you in a motor home and meet you on whatever frequency you chose. That is my dream, hike a long day and have a shower, meal and comfy bed waiting at a road crossing. (And my wife too!). But in second thought, that does sound too much like work.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Nick,
    Since you live on the west coast, have your wife follow you in a motor home and meet you on whatever frequency you chose. That is my dream, hike a long day and have a shower, meal and comfy bed waiting at a road crossing. (And my wife too!). But in second thought, that does sound too much like work."

Re: comfy bed/shower/meals – this is certainly one of appeals of the GR-10 which is also on my bucket list.

I did a section hike of the PCT last year and ran into a lady through hiker on the trail in Washington. Her husband wasn't into the idea of the hike so he would leapfrog up the trail in their RV and she would meet him along the way for resupplies and to enjoy some time together.

I'm trying to come up with a plan where my wife could drive an RV or campervan that she would be comfortable in where we could do something like this.

Jan S

@karl-ton

"Re: comfy bed/shower/meals – this is certainly one of appeals of the GR-10 which is also on my bucket list. "

It's the standard mode of European hiking and works anywhere (provided you are willing to pay for it) except for the far north.

The dog: Can't he come along?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

All the insights here are great. As I mentioned, I can't really find a good reason not to do it other than fear of casting aside what is comfortable and known (and socially accepted) to venture into the unknown. I have great family support and encouragement, the job issue will be fine (heck, as an orthopedic PT living in the Pacific Northwest I would think having done the PCT would actually be a positive credential, eh?) and if I work really hard for the next year saving and getting rid of bills and obligations…

Anyone want to buy a couch and some dishes??

Besides, in my 20s I was also quite adventurous and lived a rather nomadic lifestyle all over the globe. This is nothing new to me, I'm just a tad rusty at it. And all this encouragement is very, very helpful.

As for the dog, way back when I really had thought of taking him, but it seems a thru hike is NOT a good idea for a dog, especially the PCT. The mileage and the desert heat would kill him :(

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

A hospice nurse did a survey of the regrets of people about to die. The top regret was failure to be true to oneself. Number 2 was working too hard. Number 5 was not letting yourself be happy. I think a thru-hike would be a good antidote to all of these.

My GF and I are roughly at your stage of life (30s-40s, fancy degrees, established careers, etc.). We are both quitting our jobs and getting rid of most of our stuff to thru-hike the CDT this year. Some things are more important than money, houses, or careers.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I know that this discussion has come up at least once on whiteblaze, so if you want even more (!) on it, search there; it's about the same thing in this case whether the AT or PCT.

W.r.t. the recommendation to read 'Wild' I agree with whoever suggested that you don't read it. It won't give you a sense of what a more typical thru-hike experience is like. I think that it's unfortunate that for both the AT and now the PCT the standard "thru-hike" book that everyone seems to know about is by a person that doesn't finish the trail and didn't approach it in the way that thru-hikers generally do. At least Bill Bryson is funny.

In case no one has already pointed this out, please don't be insulted if I mention the really obvious fact that you're going to get a skewed set of responses by posting this question on a site like this one. OTOH, like Mags and likely some others here, I know quite a lot of thru-hikers, and can't think of any that has regrets.

Yet OTOH, that's a skewed group too, as I mostly know the subset of people who finished their trails. If you could somehow poll those who attempt a thru-hike but for whatever reason don't finish, you might get a different average response, but I suspect that in general those folks are less likely to be posting in hiking forums (?).

Only you can know all the dynamics of your situation; I wish you the best of good fortune with whatever you decide.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I wrote this a few years back. Perhaps it will help and/or enlighten and/or make you bored to tears. ;)
    http://www.pmags.com/after-the-trail-%E2%80%93-post-trail-re-adjustment

I need to update it for 2013 (I am married now. That is one one rather significant change. :D)

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

My mother used to say to me, "If you wait until you can afford something, it will never happen." If you wait until you are absolutely sure this is the "right" decision, that time will never come. There will always be unknowns. And I think all of us have an innate need to meet the unknown face to face, however much we may fear it. We recognize somewhere deep inside that security, predictability, and permanence are all illusions — very strong illusions that give the appearance of reality, but nonetheless illusory.

It sounds to me as though your heart has already decided; best to stop second-guessing it and do what you desire. Imagine yourself at the end of your days, looking back on your life. Can you really picture yourself saying, "Oh, I wish I had never followed my heart. I wish I had stayed where things were familiar and routine, and vaguely unsatisfying."?

Confused Newbie
    Spectator

@confused

Locale: Northern CO

Years ago, at 22, I left my computer programmer job in a run down city and moved to Oregon. I figured I'd spend the next 10 years playing and working odd jobs, then go to graduate school thereafter. It didn't work out. I had already dropped out of college due to lack of funds, and so I was a poor long-haired guy with little employability, even though I worked hard when I had a chance, and worked very hard in trying to find jobs. During this time I got sick, and had little access to medical care, and typically was living month to month. It wasn't fun, and I wish I had been more thoughtful in my approach to trying to live an active outdoor life.

Life is great now, but I mention this because I had thought if I followed my dreams the rest would work itself out, and it didn't. I wish I would have stayed in my job, finished college and then graduate school earlier, and established my career first. This is a little different from taking 3 months off for a thru hike of course, but figured it might be relevant to the discussion.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I would love to take a break in my "career" but cannot do so at the moment.

It does not really bother me as I can get out most weekends backpacking, skiing, doing water sports as much as I want and get to go on cool backpacking trips all over the US and back in Europe every couple of months.

I say go for it :-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Jennifer, if that's what you want, go for it!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Jennifer,

I started variations on PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and 2003. All ended after a few days or weeks.

I had immediate regrets, mostly over not finishing and not having a Plan B, and in one case, losing a girlfriend.

But in the long run – no regrets. I'm glad I made all the attempts, they helped make me who I am today.

My advice: Go for it. You will regret not starting much more.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Jen, that fear of what's comfortable is really just bratty boys throwing rocks at you. Remove the shackles of fear and Go Jen, Go!

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm going for PCT 2014, whether it is a wise decision or not.

I can't add any more to this discussion than a suggestion to read "A Thru-Hikers Heart" by Ray Echols. My favorite book by far, and SO much better than wild ;)

Dirk R
    BPL Member

@dirk

The only person I know to regret a thru-hike was a friend who basically became so fed up by the experience that he abandoned the trail after 900 miles. He regretted not forming strong bonds with other hikers along the PCT, as opposed to his experience on the AT, which was much better for whatever reason. His regret was born from high expectations and hope of recreating the experience of his first thru.

I hiked the PCT at age 39 and often wonder if I had started my thru-hiking career at say, age 23, how much different my life may have turned out. Obviously I have no regrets about the hike, although there are things I would have done diffidently in hindsight.

Similar to the experiences of others, the company where I work gave me a leave of absence that allowed me to pursue this dream, an incredibly kind gesture. There are no regrets, only good memories and a great appreciation for the sacrifices others made to help make an experience like this possible.

I wish you nothing but Happy Trails ahead.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

"…although there are things I would have done diffidently in hindsight."

please tell us more.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Will you spend the rest of your life wondering or regretting that you did not go for it when you had the opportunity.

A couple years ago I "tinkered" with the idea of climbing Kilimanjaro. No burning desire, just a "nice thing to do" kind of trip. My wife didn't warm up to the idea so I skipped it. No regrets on that one.

I would have regretted the trips in the Grand Canyon had I not done them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Life is a thru hike, but it is a finite trip and you don't know how it ends. That means you better get busy!

There was an old JanSport advertisement that read, "GET OUT, WHILE YOU CAN." Says it all I think.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I once saw an "off-off-Broadway" play in which the middle aged cop character said,"You know it's not the things I HAVE done that I regret, it's the things I haven't done."

Don have those regrets. Besides, after you are done put it in your resume (yes!) and you will find that the employers who like that are the kind you want to work for.

Bon Voyage! and Happy Trails.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So, Jennifer, you're DOING IT, right? C'mon — let's hear it! The first step of long journey is a simple 'yes'. :)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

You guys totally talked me into it!! As a matter of fact, a clinic in Oregon that I had been talking with – seemed like an awesome job – called and said they had a position for me, but I had to start this June.

I turned them down.

Need I say more??!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good for your, Jennifer!!

Now, I imagine there will be a lot of gear you'll need to buy. Have you started looking? :)

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

You know what my New Years resolution was? To NOT buy any more gear this year and simply to enjoy my rather nice kit.

I am already buying "my dad" a new shelter, apparently ill need a new ULA pack for the JMT (and now the PCT!) cause my gorilla isn't going to cut it. I'm looking at the skyscape X for a pct shelter (I can see how the net floor of the hexamid might get annoying…), just bought a downmat after my synmat blew up; I'm currently debating cap 4 bottoms vs cap 3 for the most versatile long underwear….

Um…

Where is that thread about having a gear problem?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools