Topic

Boise area: Visit or Reside?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Boise area: Visit or Reside?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

What are the pros and cons for outdoor oriented folks?

I'm 35, married, no kids [to my knowledge ;) ]

I live in Portland OR so the standard is kinda high for "cool factor" but I wuz beared and growed up in the deep south, so I wont be shocked by the redneks when compared to Portland.

I'm like: there are mtns close so it can't be that bad, but my wife thinks it'll be a time warp back to the days of horse and buggy or something.

Should I hold out for Missoula or Bozeman?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Its these three towns specifically because of my job. I appreciate other suggestions but it has to be one of these three. Thanks everybody. Y'all are my only friends. Boo hoo. Oh boo hoo… sniff :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Count yourself yourself lucky mate, I live in the Midwest where its as flat as a pool table.

Anyway back on topic, let 51% of the decision up to your wife as it will save grief later.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Hey Stephen. Yeah i'm not complaining (for once). I like portland a lot. But theres too many people for my taste. And its cloudy as hell

I just want to know what all is going on there. And if its cool sounding we will go visit. My wife loves it here but isnt against moving to a sunnier spot too. Boise doesnt appeal to her but i may to be able to get a job there some day and want some bargaining chips if that job comes open.

But if it sucks there nevermind

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Take your wife for a weekend getaway and check it out. It's on my short list of NW towns to move to. University town so you have the athletic programs, arts, and culture that goes along with that. Decent restaurant selection (at least there was a few years ago.) Bogus Basin is just outside of town. Cabelas! The few people I've known who have moved there don't want to leave.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Count yourself yourself lucky mate, I live in the Midwest where its as flat as a pool table.

Yeah. I suppose you could count falling off the cliffs at Pictured Rocks falling in the pocket of said pool table. :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Agree on the advice to visit with your wife. I love Boise. It's a similar but milder climate than Denver with access to mountains to the North. I have many many relatives that live in Nampa, just west of Boise.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Cool. Keep em coming!

I think that any town over 80,000 and having a D1 University town cant be all that bad. A good resident population and a steady influx of young people keeps a town fresh and fun.

I guess shes worried about restaurants and stuff? She cant really say what it is that nakes her nervous. Some people that we know lived there and dodnt like it, but that was in the 80s and they werent outdoorsy people.

We will visit on our way to check out Missoula and Bozeman. She wants Missoula.

I'll take any of them! Get me near the mtns!! Mt Hood is nice but 2M people having to share one mountain is kinda dumb. (On the trail at 8000 ft and you can see all sorts of people?!?) (cooper spur)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Worse problems to have than having to choose between PDX, Bozeman, Missoula, and Boise. I've visited all three cities you are considering moving to and they seem comparable. All three have their own flavor and personality so it'll be interesting to see which one you two agree on. At worst you'll have a lovely vacation and return to Portland.

Have fun and good luck with this decision.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

This chart may help you decide which state makes the most sense for relocation. At your age, the job prospects trump long term issues like estate and inheritance taxes.

taxes

MT and OR do not have sales taxes

MT, CO, and WY have a personal property tax.

WA and WY have NO state income tax

Decisions. Decisions, Decisions.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

What about Spokane, WA? As a jumping off point for all kinds of recreational activities, I think most people overlook Spokane. Several ski areas within 2 hours, numerous backpacking and hiking opportunities, and several large lakes and river systems all within a short distance. Easy and quick access to Idaho and Montana.

@Bob
    , a couple of edits to your chart, wrt WA. 6.5% sales tax is the state's portion. Municipalities add on additional sales tax so that rate can be as high as 10% in certain areas. No part of the state pays the bare minimum 6.5%. Additionally, there is a federal deduction for Washington sales tax. It is either a credit based upon income, or if you want to save your receipts you can deduct the actual amount paid.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Thanks everybody. I guess i should say that its these towns specifically because of my job. There is my store in these towns and someday, if my position opens up, i wanna jump on it. Just don't wanna go to a town that is a bummer.

I'll edit my op to reflect the job thing

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Bob, your spreadsheet looks great BUT you forgot the question, " Do they turn you away at the border if the state is getting close to 1 million in population? "
    There should be a big red YES in the Montana column.
    Just kidding, really.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Now that I'm on my laptop (not my phone) I can read that chart.

Bob, or anyone, what is personal property tax? Luckily I own nothing of any value. In few years I'll own a 7 year old Escape. Does that count?

Valued items in descending order:
    2008 Escape (not paid off for 4 more years)
    1999 f150
    Scarp 2
    Mutha Hubba (LNWT for sale for $300 +shipping- just sayin)
    Yeti Tundra 65
    Dyson DC33

It goes downhill from there. If I have to pay a tax on a tent MT is OUT!!!

UT is out cause they are beer Nazis. ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Good chart Bob. The one thing I'd have to check on, though, is whether or not these states tax federal/military retirement pay.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Look up any state you want at

https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

Scroll down to the state of interest.

@Marc
    :
    Most states allow add-ons by lower level governing bodies; The chart list just what the state itself levies.

@Jeffs
    :
    Personal Property Tax is a nasty, never-ending bottomless pit of a tax on the declared value of your personal belongings – minus cars and your primary residence. You can literally wind up buying all your stuff again several times over the years.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Living outside of Boise, I can only snicker a bit for those who live elsewhere. There are plenty of great spots to live in, and we are just fortunate that the Boise area rocks. The town has any and everything you can imagine, and all the yuppiness folks from Portland will desire, in addition to all the redneck anyone else might like. And all points in between. Main points of positive mainly lie in the low cost of living; house cost, etc., ridiculously close access to every type of recreation imaginable, world class whitewater less than 30 miles, skiing less than 20, road biking out the front door, mt biking out the front door, hiking within a few minutes, serious remoteness less than 2 hours and on and on….and an added benefit of a desert area that is larger than many states, and boasts an almost limitless recreational area that is basically unused.
    don't hesitate to drop me a line, I can try to answer any of your questions etc

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"What about Spokane, WA? As a jumping off point for all kinds of recreational activities, I think most people overlook Spokane."

Probably because Spokane is ghetto.

I do hear good things about Boise from several friends and coworkers who lived there.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Several years ago I was sent to Boise on business. Wasn't thrilled at the prospect, but now it is one of my favorite places. I think the was a similar thread here last year. Also add the theatre in the round for urban summer entertainment.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

"Probably because Spokane is ghetto."

Spokane is an acquired taste…you just need to look past the tweakers and poverty.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Go to Spokane. Develop poor opinion. Drive to Yakima. Opinion of Spokane will immediately improve.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Never been to Boise. The founder of the Mean Been (Zion) moved there when he sold out, which is a good endorsement.

Missoula is a mini-PDX. As much culture as you'll get in Montana, crap weather in the winter, and in a bad fire season lots of smoke in town in the summer. Big college culture and all the good/bad which comes with. If you can find a way to make a living, super fun and easy town to live in. Bike commuting, trails in town, etc.

Bozeman is 2k higher and on the Atlantic side of the divide. Translation; colder, more snow, less rain, a LOT more sun. The local ski hill (Bridger) is the best in the state, as opposed to Missoula Snowbowl which is…..not. Town still has a substantial college/liberal feel, but it is more reserved. More of a traditional western slash stodgy rich person presence. Bozeman is the best town in the state in terms of easy access to a diversity of backcountry terrain.

Visit and find out.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

That's funny I always call Spokane a giant Yakima. Yakima claims to be the Palm Springs of Washington. Wenatchee Washington is on the small side but closed enough to Seattle?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Wenatchee is actually my dream location but I didn't suggest it as the OP is looking for a largeish city and one where his company is located. I'd actually live somewhere between Wenatchee and Leavenworth for: desert 15 minutes to the east & mountains and trees 15 minutes to the west; fly fishing; skiing; boating; hockey; awesome hiking trails; affordable housing; etc etc.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Wow, I have never heard anyone refer to Wenatchee as a "dream location." Yakima must really be bad. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools