Topic

Separate sleeping clothes – yeah or nay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Separate sleeping clothes – yeah or nay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I had sort of taken it as gospel that you want to have dry separate clothes for sleeping – for a variety of reasons partly avoiding getting cold due to moisture in whatever I'm wearing around camp, partly for bag longevity (keeping extra dirt/moisture), etc…

However, in the interest of reducing weight, and in some cases extending bag temperatures, it seems like a lot of folks dispense with separate clothes for sleeping and sleep with some or all of their regular gear on (temperature dependent…).

So how many people keep a separate set of clothes to sleep in, and if so, what do people use? I've mostly been sleeping in cooler weather in some form of light base layer top and bottom…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

When I stop and make camp, I put warm camp clothing on over my hiking clothes. That keeps any dirt or oils from getting into my bag.
    If you are going to sleep in a t-shirt and shorts, you should try to wash off some of your sticky sweat before crawling into bed.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

With some of these expensive down sleeping bags/quilts? That's affirmative. Now, if using a synthetic that would be replaced in a few years anyways, I wouldn't bother.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

For me, yeah. I often get wet or muddy when hiking and no way am I putting that in my sleeping bag. My day clothes come off and I sleep in long johns and fresh wool socks.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Sure do ! ~ I also bring special shoes for use inside of my tent, because my hiking shoes are dirty and my stream crossing shoes are frequently wet~.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I do as well. Silk weight long top and bottom 7.6oz for the pair, put on after a quick dip and my trail clothes are rinsed out nightly. This often makes for a chilly morning but it does motivate one to get moving.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

I like to keep my bag clean so I always have some type of clothing system to sleep in at night. For the SHR it was cap 2 bottom, silk socks, and a r1 hoody. After sleeping in a bag for 3 months straight in Turkey/Iraq I know firsthand how stinky that bag can get.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

While I don't take separate sleeping clothes, my base layer top and bottoms are what I use to sleep in. If it's cold in the morning, I leave them on until I'm ready to start hiking. If it's cold in the evening I may put them on well before bedtime. If it's really warm weather, the base layer may be strictly for sleeping. However, at the high elevations where I like to backpack, the nights are usually pretty cool if not downright cold, so I'm usually wearing that base layer in camp as well as in bed. It has to be awfully cold (well below freezing) before I wear it for active hiking, though.

One thing I definitely don't want to do is crawl into my sleeping bag wearing damp or wet hiking clothes. They go into a plastic bag so the moisture won't affect my sleeping bag insulation. While they are still wet in the morning, at least they are warm!

I guess you could call my base layer "semi-separate camp and sleeping clothes." That's a lot different than taking a separate layer worn only in the sleeping bag, because the base layer is part of my total insulation package.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'll take on a reasonable weight penalty for a good night's sleep. I don't mind hiking through a downpour but I like knowing that I'll have a dry set of long johns and socks to change into when I hit the rack.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I only sleep in a custom onesie made of the finest silk.

But why stop there?

I find that donning my smoking jacket greatly enhances the enjoyment of whiskey and conversation beside the fire after supper.

Wearing the same dirty jacket I wore during day is so….Middle Class.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I take a very lightweight underlayer that is ONLY for sleeping. And a pair of very lightweight pj bottoms as well.

The underlayer also gets used from time to time as a "hand around in camp shirt if is too cold and I am drying my hiking shirt that just got washed.

Keeps the sleeping bag clean. And if it really does get cold, I wear everything. These two items become my base layer.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

3 season-I bring one set of cloths thats it. I wear everything to bed dirty or not. Scratch that I bring a change of socks that go in my gossamer gear gorilla's shoulder straps during the day for padding. I bring one pair of pant shorts, one tank top, one long sleeve base layer, one button up sun shirt with a collar and my paty puff.

Sometimes a change of undies…….sometimes

If its raining I will either take off my shirt and pant legs(so just shorts on) or put on my frog toggs which have pants so I would put my other pants away to stay dry.

I personally dont care about getting dirty or my bag dirty. Either way I will more than likely get a new bag every 3-4 years and have yet to dirty one unusable.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I used to wear a set of silk REI pj's to bed, but I don't bother anymore.

If it's raining, I have a rain jacket so my top stays dry. I don't roll around in the mud, so my top stays relatively clean.

If it's raining, my zip off pants can get wet and dirty. In camp, whenever possible, I rinse off the mud in a creek or lake. By the time I go to bed, they're usually pretty dry. If not, I just go to bed without them. No biggie.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I always bring sleeping socks but normally end up sleeping in my day time ones.

During the height of Summer I will often bring a spare pair of boxers and a t shirt as my day time ones could be fairly grungy.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Silk bag liner – will add 5 or so degrees to your bag, and will protect the inside no matter what you wear, or don't wear. Can be used as a 'bag' all by itself in very warm weather. A lot easier to clean and cheaper to replace. Weight ~ 4-5 oz.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

On most cool to cold trips, I sleep in my thin baselayers. I hate to dirty up my insulation!

Also I found bag liners to twist and tangle as I move. I hate 'em.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Also I found bag liners to twist and tangle as I move. I hate 'em.

+1

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I have tried all types of things. Currently I use a homemade bag liner.
    I picked up a $7 set of poly twin sheets at Target. Used the flat sheet folded over and sewn half way up the side and around the bottom.
    If I need all of my insulation I through in my REI silk base layer.

I haven't seen any really bad advice but since I have a nice down quilt I don't want to crawl in dirty. Seems like a few extra ounces to make the bag last a few more years is good $

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Also I found bag liners to twist and tangle as I move. I hate 'em."

Bag liners, yes. Quilt liners, no! My cuben quilt liner overlaid on one of my quilts. Works like a charm.

quilt liner

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I normally sleep in my hiking clothes, but if it's significantly wet out — and more to the point, if my clothing is likely to be significantly wet at the end of the day — I prefer to have at least something minimal to change into at night.

For longer trips, that's typically my pretty minimal "town clothes" — a pair of light shorts and synthetic t-shirt I can wear in town while doing laundry. The shorts do extra duty as backup underwear and as an at-need swimsuit. But when my clothes are soaked, I'll wear those in the sleeping bag and put the wet clothes back on in the morning.

Hiking in a dryer environment, no worries (but I live in the PNW).

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For top and bottom layers I bring a long sleeve shirt, a t shirt, covertable pants, and base layer bottoms.

I try to have an active set and a rest set. Usually I put on the rest set after I am done cooking for the evening or when ever I get cold and wear them until I am ready to start hiking in the morning. Although some mornings I will wear them for a few hours if it is chilly.

My goal is to have a dry sweat free layer to sleep in. For me it is being dry that is important rather than wet. The base bottoms I bring as part of my sleep and camp rest system to stay warm and would come regardless. The only real redundant item I could cut is the t-shirt and just sleep in the hiking shirt but for 4 oz I bring it along.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I normally just sleep in my hiking clothes. If my pants are really wet/muddy I don't wear them to bed, the rain jacket keeps my top dry for the most part. If its really hot and I expect to be sweating a lot I bring a second shirt to sleep in. I have a pair of dry camp/sleep socks too since the ones I wear during the day normally end up soaked. The one time that I will bring special "sleeping clothes" is in the winter. If I work up a sweat its nice to have a dry base layer to change into at camp. Its mostly to help me warm up but has the added effect of keeping my quilt a little cleaner.

Adam

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Alas I suffer from having sensitive skin, I can break out in a heat/sweat/salt rash with little provocation. So washing and fresh clothes are important for me.

In the warm weather when I stop I change into a pair of light nylon shorts and 4oz nylon shirt (and wash up) and let the other stuff dry out (often after washing). I sleep in the shorts and maybe the shirt.

If it's cool or cold it depends on how much I sweat. I typically change into and sleep in a pair of sleep socks and a lightweight base layer top and bottom that I normally don't wear during the day unless it gets real cold. How much I wash up depends on how brave I'm feeling that evening.

Note that I almost always share a quilt with my wife, so personnel hygiene plays a more important role than if I was alone.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Yes, separate clothes for sleeping. I bought a silk liner but didn't like twisting around in it – so I cut out and hand-sewed pajamas from it. Silk pajamas, top and bottom, that now weigh 3 oz total. Keeps the bag clean, as originally intended.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I used to bring along separate sleeping/camp clothes, but lately I've just been wearing my windshirt over my hiking shirt to bed. Seems to work fine and makes getting up easier. In colder temperatures (below 25 or 30), I'll bring long johns for my legs at night, otherwise I don't bother.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools