Topic

Ibex Hooded Indie or Capilene 4 Expedition Weight 1/4 Zip Hooded Top

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ibex Hooded Indie or Capilene 4 Expedition Weight 1/4 Zip Hooded Top

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

You see the title….. Which one would be warmer as a baselayer? Last year I hiked with the Ibex Hooded Indie at 195 g/m, but I just learned from the Ibex site that it's 16.65 oz. The new Patagonia Capilene 4 Hooded Top weighs 8.5 oz. You know which one I'd like to carry, but which one is warmer?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

My strictly non-scientific findings are that the Cap 4 is warmer.

I own both pieces and have hiked in both. I've typically used either piece as a thin midlayer rather than a base layer (my base layer is always the thinnest, lightest merino t-shirt I can find), but I definitely feel warmer wearing the cap 4 over my baselayer than the ibex hoody.

The Ibex is more like a slighly heavy gauge t-shirt whereas the cap 4 is more like a thin fleece.

Both are really great pieces though…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Insofar as you can test such thin fabrics in a lab, I'd bet that the Cap 4 would test warmer. In use the story isn't so simple.

Relatively thick wool like the Indie and hi-void grid fleece like the Cap 4 are on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of wicking. The 4 will move moisture super fast and retain little within the fabric. Wool will move it off your skin slower, and keep it within the fibers as it evaporates.

In application, this means that with the 4 you'll need to use another garment to deal with evaporative cooling sooner than you would with the wool. On the other hand, if sweat a fair bit you'll be more dry faster and more often with the 4. It will come down to personal preference.

I don't wear wool garments heavier than 150 g/meter because I sweat too much and they end up soggy. The Cap 4 suits my style well.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm spitballing and brainstorming, so don't jump down my throat if I'm off the mark, but here goes!

It's kind of like saying "Which is healthier, apples or oranges?"

They share a lot of common vitamins and all, but they're different fruits, so they'll be giving different advantages and disadvantages too.

So, compare warmth, but also consider the following:

Ibex:

The Ibex has thumb loops, which might save you weight on gloves.
    The Ibex is Merino Wool, which has been tested and proven to smell significantly better after long-term use and prevent bacterial growth.
    The Ibex makes a good baselayer in sub-40ºF conditions

Capilene:

Weight Savings, that's a biggie.
    The synthetic fleece is thicker, which takes longer to dry and won't move moisture as efficiently.
    It'll stink.

So, you'll save a lot of weight going with the Capilene. However, if you replace your baselayer with the Ibex instead, you'll gain a next-to-skin layer that will deal with your sweat much better. Additionally, you can supplement your hat and gloves easily with more thin wool. The Capilene can't really do the next-to-skin thing as well, since it won't wick and evaporate moisture as fast and it'll absorb sweat odors, which means you'll probably want a thin baselayer, which is more weight. Even if you don't… there's still that stink.

These pieces are different enough in purpose that a weight or warmth comparison isn't the whole story. if it helps, Andrew Skurka said his hooded merino wool baselayer with thumb loops was one of his favorite pieces on the Alaska-Yukon loop. The Ibex Indie specifically is his preferred piece for cold and wet conditions.

Johan Engberg

@luffarjohan

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime

Just my two cents… sitting here in a cap4 hoody at the moment.

-It has thumbloops (male version a little bit more simple than the female version)
    -It breathes very well due to the thin fabric between the "bumps" and dries extremely fast.

I don't see it as a midlayer, but a baselayer. The syntetic-smell is something to consider if you're out more than a couple of days without washing though.

/Johan

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Ibex for no stink, Capilene for faster drying times.
    For longer trips where it's not likely to rain too much, I bring the ibex.
    Keeps the stank down. For shorter trips where ya want to save an ounce, or any trip where rain is likely I'd go for the Capilene.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I appreciated all of your well thought out and experienced responces.

A W

@lost_01

just to add: Couldn't stand the the fit of the Cap 4 hoody. Too tight with the hood on, and when the hood was off it was an awkward fit on my neck.

Took it back and instead am using the Cap 4 Zip Crew + Cap 4 beanie, is perfect.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

John,
    I have both and I definitely think the Cap 4 Hoody is warmer IF I wear a windjacket over it when it is windy. My favorite combo is to wear against the skin a very lightweight merino t-shirt (sometimes short sleeve, sometimes long sleeve – depending on the weather), aka Rab Meco 120 with the Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody as a mid layer. Besides comfort and warmth, the Rab Meco does not smell whatsoever and keeps the Cap 4 hoody from smelling.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

dam(n) there are a lot of us that own both :)

I think a few have mentioned that the Cap 4 breathes better, but it also lets the wind in- w/o a windshirt the cap 4 can be might cold in the wind

I think given a completely wind free environment, the cap 4 would be a little warmer, but not much

they (Ibex) must have made some major changes to the Indie as my Men's Large weighs 9.8 oz, that's a long ways from 16 oz

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

my Ibex Indie hoodie, size small, weighs 8.5oz
    almost half what was listed and about the same as what you listed for the cap 4 (which i assume is a medium).

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Confession: I also have both.

Mentioned above, I like the Cap4 Hoody as a midlayer with a light merino baselayer. This past weekend was the 1st time I got to wear the Hoody, during a short urban hike around Portland last weekend. Temps started in the high 40s/low 50s. I wore an Icebreaker Tech T (150 wt), the Cap 4 Hoody and a windshell over that. I didn't really need the windshell that much and would have taken it off more except it was a pullover.

If moving, I think I would have been comfortable in this into the low 30s/high 20s, adding gloves and hat and vest as needed.

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

As much as I want to love the Cap 4 hoodie, the fit kinda drive me nuts. I'm 5'9" and 165lbs, and the Large is too tight under my armpits. After wearing it for awhile, I start to forget about the tightness, but apparently even though I'm NOT a big guy at all, I require an XL. Strange to me.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Both are either too warm or cold in the presence of wind w/o a wind jacket. A lighter baselayer and a sub-4oz winshirt works way better for me in 3 season mountain weather. Cap 4 and heavyish merino are winter baselayers for me. You might be better suited with a winshirt over a lighter baselayer (down to around 30 deg hiking temps).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

my comparison of key attributes:

patagonia capilene 4:
    warmer if wind blocked
    cooler wearing if in wind without protection
    dries quicker than wool
    unlike most synthetics… doesn't get clammy (wool like)
    more durable than wool
    will stink if worn multiple days when sweating in moderate to hot weather… not so bad in cold to cool weather

wool (I haven't used the ibex hooded, but have use wool thats 150 g/m and 200 g/m)

super stink resistant, can go almost a week before I notice anything, though do smell like a damp sheep if it gets really wet :)
    seems to help me regulate my temp better without on/off other garments
    dries slower than capilene 4
    doesn't get clammy
    less durable, but doesn't melt

my preference:

daytimes consistently >60F… wool (though typically something lighter weight than the Ibex Hooded Indie) primarily because of the anti-stink and generally good comfort.

If majority of the daytime <=60F, Capilene 4! It is the best base layer I have ever used. I use it for all my done in a day activities hiking, skiing, biking, running, etc whenever the tmp is <55F. I have been reasonably comfort doing a big uphill push when it was 55F and ok with sleeves pushed up and zipper fully open up to 70F. With it zipped up, hood up, and a windshirt worn I have been comfort hiking down to 35F. Cap4 with a windshirt to control how much air is allowed to pass covers a huge range of conditions.

as far as fit of cap4 hoody… it is cut slim, but it's also stretchy. I am 5'10", 160lb… the medium is snug but comfort. I think the snug fit is part of what makes it work as well as it does. I can't image using the Cap4 as a mid-layer unless you sized up at least 2 sizes. Personally, I think it's best right next to the skin to maximize the grid/void performance.

–mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools