Topic

Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I'm looking for some places to visit during the winter that have no snow but also actually have trees and beautiful landscapes.

I could drive like 7 miles up the coast from San Francisco and camp in the redwoods.

Big Sur doesn't really have a lot of trees.

I would like some place which I can backpack in has trees…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

field guide – "winter and spring backpacking"

I probably prefer winter backpacking because there are so few people, it's not so hot, few bugs, although you have to be more flexible as far as weather goes

oops – old age is a b**** – I thought this was portlandhikers.org – well, if you go there and click on "field guide" then "winter and spring backpacking" it has some ideas for Oregon and Washington

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I've heard good things about Point Reyes.

Snow Mountain Wilderness might work for a weekend hike. I did it in the spring when there was still snow up higher.

Beyond that I take out a state topo altas and go through it looking for trails that parallel a mountain range but are just under the snow line. Remember southern facing slopes will have less snow and the east side of the mountains will probably be drier as well.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Big Basin has some good sized trees – Coastal Redwoods, and no snow. As does Point Reyes National Seashore (fewer redwoods, still some, but more oak and pine). Lost Coast to the north.

Further afield: Alabama, Georgia, Florida panhandle, Hawaii – Kokee State Park on Kaui has lots of trees, never any snow and isn't as hot as at sea level (it's at 3,000 feet up the Waimea Canyon).

New Zealand is lovely this time of year.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The Ventana wilderness in Big Sur. If you explore the inland canyons/creeks you can find some decent sized redwood forests. But most the trails follow brushy ridges.

The southern district of Los Padres National forest.
    The Lost Coast up north in Mendocino/Humboldt.
    Cache Creek Natural Area east of Clear Lake. It's a really big place, very underused.
    Point Reyes is good for an overnight.
    The Kalamath area should have some places free of snow, but that's really far north.
    They used to have trail camps at Hood Mountain near Santa Rosa, but I don't know if those are still open.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I hate trees.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I much prefer above treeline.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Winter as in next winter or now?

Olympic National Park beaches and Hoh River (both WET at the best of times and more so in winter)

Oregon has a stick or two on the coast as well :) http://www.oregonwild.org/about/hikes_events

Costa Rica!!!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Henry W. Coe State Park, California, not far from San Jose. Plenty of oaks, bay, and even pines.

Channel Islands National Park, California, has some oaks and pines, hike-in campgrounds, and limited backcountry camping.

Joshua Tree National Park, California, with plenty of Joshua trees :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools