Topic

Sony SELP1650

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Sony SELP1650

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I placed an order for this new lens when they were announced last December or so. I received it a month ago and have had a chance to use it some. Here are my initial impressions:

First, my main interest was in a compact alternative to the SEL1855. I find that lens just a bit too large and heavy to conveniently carry around while hiking or backpacking. I use a Peak Design Capture clip on my shoulder strap to carry the camera with the bigger lens; but that leaves the camera a bit exposed.

Normally, I use the wide-angle SEL16F28 lens, and carry the camera in the Sony LCM-EMA/B. I find that to be a great carry case: convenient, compact, lightweight, and sturdy. Goes on shoulder strap or belt clip.

So the SELP1650 seemed to offer the versatility of the 3x zoom 18-55. As it happens, it barely fits in my case. I added a cheapo circular polarizing filter, which adds a bit to the length, and still it fits. The case does press on the lens a bit (I can see an indentation in the padding inside).

The lens seems to work well. I'm not a pixel-peeper so I can't really comment on softness in the corners or such. I get 3x zoom, plus keep the slightly wider 16mm versus the 18mm. I think I'll start carrying this lens as my default.

A few comments on the lens itself. The focus ring also serves as a zoom adjust ring (not sure what the technical term for this is). That takes a bit of getting used to. I often use the manual-focus adjust, and if I don't get the shutter button halfway down, then my attempts at manual focus zooms in and out, instead. Sometimes, even with the shutter button halfway down, if the camera doesn't lock focus, then manual focusing doesn't work and the lens zooms in/out.

The other thing I've noticed is that the smaller lens cap (40.5mm instead of 49mm) seems to not be as secure. It's popped off a few times while slipping the camera back into the case. One time I lost it and had to back-track to where I took my last picture to pick it up off the ground. Maybe that's due to the filter, though.

All-in-all, I like this lens and will definitely use it.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I do also own this lens (apart from 3 others).
    My camera is NEX-6

I have to say that in terms of image quality this lens is a total crap. Don't expect good pictures from it. However, yes it is versatile: 16 mm at wide and normal 50mm at narrow end. For video it's quite nice zoom range.

Pros:
    + light (115 gram)
    + compact (pancake)

Cons:
    – Bad image quality (blurry)
    – Really bad complex distortions that even are not fixed very well in-camera
    – Noisy motor (you hear it excellent in videos)
    – eats your tiny NEX battery very fast with it's "retractable feature"
    – Don't even think to set short sleep time on camera because you'll end up without battery as this lens will constantly retract.

I would not recommend this lens to a friend until it's the only one lens available for him as a walkaround lens.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools