Topic

Do you know this kettle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you know this kettle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found this kettle today. Holds a liter, weighs 6oz, about 2-5/8" tall and 7-1/4" diameter. Looks like clear anodized aluminum. I've never seen one this short and wide and the twin bails are interesting– they do help stabilize it.

It has no name, place of origin or logo. Anybody seen one?

Aluminum kettle

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What purpose does the second bail serve?

The photo makes it appear that one bail can be easily removed.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Double bail for stability.
    I would imagine that if you don't reposition the single bail to the center it will tip over…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some single bails have detents formed into the anchorage fitting so that they will stay upright until moved for transport. This one doesn't seem to have those detents, so they used two bails.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Let me bail you guys out :)

The bails keep the kettle from tipping when pouring. It is clever and the bails weigh just 4g/0.14oz each. I had to get out the jewelry scale. I wouldn't dream of changing it.

Most current model kettles have a 3/8" wide bar handle and some add a plastic section in the center.

Twin bails

Twin bails

Twin bails

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"The bails keep the kettle from tipping when pouring"
    I wish I had thought of that, but then again maybe I did…

Don Morris

@hikermor

Those were available in the late 60's or so from retailers like REI. I might still have mine, back in the nether regions of my gear closet. I recall they were a bit awkward – too wide,even with the double bail.

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

I've been searching for a kettle that is wider than the standard 5" or so.
    If you wanted to increase the efficiency, It seems to me that the width would mean no flame spill over, so neoprene/carbon felt or reflextic could be cut to lay over the top to keep the heat in.
    If you wanted to lighten it, you could use 2 fishing leads instead of the bails, or titanium bike spokes/wire.
    If you wanted to simplify/lighten it, you could weld a piece of aluminum in place of the lid. I have a Swiss kitchen kettle from the 50's that only has a hole for the spout. very slick design
    nice kettle

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I thought the same about the width. If the the 60's vintage is right, it may have been made with one if the old Optimus or Primus stoves in mind.

Primus

I wouldn't dream about changing the design. Those bails are 4g each. I'm a risk taker and hike with a full length handle on my toothbrush :)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I agree with Don. I used to have one too.

Don Morris

@hikermor

I rummaged around and found my kettle. Mine has a tea strainer that fits under the lid. Characters on the side are probably Japanese. I never found it very useful for backpacking, generally boiling water in a pot.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How well does it pour? The spout hole looks tiny.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The GSI Kettle is nice for winter because it has a wide base. Better for snow melting. I wish it held a but more water though.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Don

Interested in parting with that kettle? Or has it reached antique status since its from the 60's?
    Looks like it would be awesome for use on a super cat stove for tea/ boiling with a small group.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"How well does it pour? The spout hole looks tiny."

The obvious personal gaffs aside, it pours just fine. It doesn't win any awards for speed, but it doesn't gush all over the place that way.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Uniflame Kettle

Uniflame here in Japan makes a similar one, but it's obviously different. I have seen one by another company quite often, and it might be an early version by Primus.

Primus Kettle

Here is the present-day version of the Primus kettle.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Just in case you want one handle, you can remove the second one and insert one end of the first handle in hole for second handle. So that it will run just above the center. This way it will be stable.

But if you take a long handled toothbrush … OMG How can you do that?!?! :D

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I wonder if it might be the predecessor to this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools