Topic

Good sources for buying Down?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good sources for buying Down?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Preferably not live plucked sourced down. Anyways, i did do a search here already and it seems like a lot of the places people mentioned for buying down are no longer around, or they aren't selling it currently.

I'm not interested in thru hiker because of price and quality–i actually want a lesser quality, with some feathers for my purpose. I'm looking to get about a half a pound or so, and looking to spend less than 60 dollars. The lowest fill grade i would use would be 650 and highest 750.

Do the cheaper ebay pillows tend to be a scam, misleading, or not?

Thank you for any suggestions or help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just got an email and ordered from Feathered Friends and ordered 8 oz of 700 fill down for 64 plus shipping, plus 11 shipping. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

FYI,

Wilderness Logics sells 850fp by the oz, 1/2oz, and now by the pound. Pretty reasonable but not in the price range of your original post. If you would have gone with them instead of Feathered Friends you could have gotten 850fp instead of 700 and it would have cost less.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Eric,

I canceled the order anyways before i saw your post because i realized i could get a quilt from Costco which has like 21 oz of 650 fill for 79 dollars. This leaves me with extra down to work with, and i'm sure some other project will come up.

I don't want higher quality down, like 850 fp because i want some feathers in there for my purpose–i'm mixing it with Angora Rabbit fur/fiber, and i suspect having some feathers will help to keep the Angora rabbit fur lofted and separated some. I'm guessing that the down to feather ratio of of the Costco quilt is probably like 80/20 or so. Originally, i was going to mix 1lb of Angora rabbit fiber to half a pound Goose Down/feather combo, but now i think i may split it more evenly–like .75 lb of Angora Rabbit fur and .75 lb of Goose down/feather combo.

Thank you for the tip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools