Topic

GG NightLight Torso vs Z-Lite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG NightLight Torso vs Z-Lite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I am thinking about replacing my sleeping pad this season, I have a few questions.

I'm currently using a modified thermarest Z-Lite at ~6 oz. I'm thinking about switching to the GG NightLight sleeping pad at ~3 oz.

My Z-Lite serves as a backpad in a ULA conduit pack. I've read that some people have had issues fitting it in the pad sleeve. Can this be fixed by modifying the pad? I don't want to switch to an inflatable because I pack a Caldera Cone and the flat folding pad makes packing the cone MUCH easier. If I can't modify it to fit, any experience with using it outside the pad sleeve?

Which one is more comfortable to sleep on? Most durable? Insulates better?

And finally, should I anticipate a NightLight would add/subtract rigidity from my pack?

Thanks for your input,
    Justin

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

The Nightlight is made of a more efficient and durable insulator (Evazote) than that used on the Z-Lite. The Z-Lite as sold is initially more comfortable but goes flat much sooner. As to rigidity as a virtual pack frame—it depends on how many folds and sections of the Z-Lite you use (many users cut down the sections to save weight or to fit better in their packs. In general, the Z-Lite would make a stiffer frame, in my experience, than the Nightlight Torso Pad.

I personally use the Nightlight 3/4 length pad which I modified to be shorter and to taper towards the feet, as the Torso Pad is not really long enough for my long torso. This final Product weighs in at 3.4 oz. and I use it as a virtual frame in <2500 cu. in packs.

A final note: the unscored 3/4 length Nightlight can be scored by the user for a flatter carry, but is only sensible to do for certain lengths to maintain a reasonable folded width. If you study pictures of the Torsolite on the GG site you can make out the logic of this.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I have a Torso length NightLight. Here are my observations. I've only had a chance to use it a handful of times but have always been pleased with the comfort and warmth. I haven't used the Z-rest so I can't compare performance. I've used it as a frame for my day pack a few times and for one weekend trip. It performed well enough for me in that department as well. It seems quite rigid when used as a frame I don't suspect you would lose any rigidity over a Z-rest (just speculation). As for durability, its a lot lighter than any thing else I've used but I'm not worried about having to replace it after every season. It won't last forever but I'm not afraid to use it as a pack frame, sit pad, and sleeping mat for all of my trips.

Adam

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's our review on the Nighlight which has some comparison info.

Enjoy! http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gossamer_gear_nightlight_torso_sleeping_pad_review.html

J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Thanks guys, I just ordered a GG NightLight torso. The comfort and durability factors won me over, the weight didn't hurt either.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I recently bought the NightLight 3/4 and the SitLight pad. The SitLight seems to take the weight off my hip when side sleeping and supports my lumbar when on my back, besides being great to sit on. The egg crate of the SitLight meshes with the NightLight so they won't shift. I've only used it in the house thus far. My 3/4 weighs 4.4 oz and the SitLight 1 oz. I cut them both down to size. I'm very hopeful about the combination. I'm 6'4" so the NightLight torso was too short for me.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I would call the GG NightLight Torso a lot of things but "comfortable" is not on the list. It's pretty darn close to sleeping on the ground. That said, I use it extensively yet am constantly looking for a replacement. The pad fits both me and my pack, provides adequate insulation for most situations, and is very light. These are all good features for a pad with this weight profile. I guess I am saying that clearly I am willing to sacrifice comfort for some of these benefits. As far as durability goes I can't argue with the durability of a closed cell pad… it's a piece of closed cell padding. I don't use it as a shield to ward of bears or to drive tent stakes into the ground. It has suffered some compression in the few years I have used it (both to sleep on and as a pack frame for my Mariposa). Basically, however, it still works so if that's what durability means to you then yep, it's durable.

J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

James,

I wasn't expecting a pillow-top matress, bear-shield or hammer.

But thanks for clearing that up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools