Topic

Hilleberg thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cat in grass

@newman

Hi folks,

for my DIY project please advise on Hilleberg thread thickness on various tents:
    is it the s a m e thickness on all models or not?
    Even on the Kerlon XP versions and 3-season tents?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I'd be surprised if anyone here owns or has owned sufficient Hillebergs concurrently to answer your question. Have you tried calling Hilleberg USA directly at 425.883.0101 or 866.848.8368 or email them at [email protected] to ask them? I've found customer service to be very helpful indeed.

cat in grass

@newman

Thanks but…

I have contacted earlier Hilly (Petra) and get a generic advise to use seam sealer.

Sorry, but I want it to be waterproofed with no seam sealer and do it as a Pro with an industrial double needle/needle feeding sewing machine with seam folder… (I actually want to buy a used Unna and add a porch on one of the sides and repair if needed, for bikepacking)

I have only stuff sack in Kerlon XP. I had actually ordered SilNylon verson to have thread sample and spare fabric for repairs(!), but (bloody) merchandiser have send the wrong version to me.

Here at this forum is a few folks who have in possession 2-3-4 Hilly's simultaneously(!), this is why I am annoying here :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Wow, what a unuque question.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Unless I'm missing something, no matter how much of a professional job is done, a needle is still passing through the fabric creating tiny holes where water can seep through regardless of what thread and seam techniques are used.

I'm unaware of any tent on the market constructed with needle and thread that does not require seam sealing, whether it be taping or spreading a sealer over the seam.

Jan S

@karl-ton

"I'm unaware of any tent on the market constructed with needle and thread that does not require seam sealing, whether it be taping or spreading a sealer over the seam."

You usually don't need to seal Hillebergs and a couple others too I think. The only tent I actually had to seal was a Golite single wall. All other sil based tents I own held up very well in heavy rains without sealing.

I think I remember reading something about using cotton in the thread which gets thicker if it gets wet (same idea as with these old cotton canvas tents). But even if you do your best there might still be situations in which seam sealing becomes required and I don't think anything is wrong with seam sealing.

David Ure

@familyguy

Correct, you do not need to seam seal Hillebergs by way of how they sew the fabric.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

5 posts thus far… pray tell, what is "survice"?? :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If you are after a Unna with a vestibule why not the Soulo ?

David Ure

@familyguy

Survice is Sure Advice.

Where else would you go but BPL if you wanted that?

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

"(I actually want to buy a used Unna and add a porch on one of the sides and repair if needed, for bikepacking)"

I believe Hilleberg made this model ( the Niak) years ago, and has since been discontinued.

If you can find one, it may save you some time and effort.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i think, as an owner of two Hillebergs, that it does not need so much of a porch, as of a window.

as for thread, if we get something decent, it will not matter as to the optimal'ness of it. after you lay down a seam or two, it's going to be stronger than the fabric anyway. seam sealing with mcnett locks the threads into place, and this may keep things from coming undone under duress.

cheers,
    v.

cat in grass

@newman

I am actually have no complaints about Hilly's service, zero. Petra has given an answer which is correct for 99.99999% customers/cases. Also answering about thread thickness is a nightmare for anyone as it varies tremendously depending on what brand you use. As I understand such things I just don't wanted to annoy her anymore, for respect.

Charles,
    as for Niak with 2.8kg and Kerlon 1800 it was overbuild and under-designed.
    When they redesigned it into Unna they got just an outstanding tent, kudos for Hilly.
    What I want is an Unna with zippered 'pleat' at the rear side to accommodate folding 20-24'' mountain bike. This pleat can be zipped when this porch is not needed keeping proper structural integrity by tensioning rare wall between poles, and bike can be removed through under rare panel after unpegging it. This will not spoil this outstanding tent.

BTW non seam sealed waterproofed seams are by far not a rocket science and used by at least three other manufacturers (in the same price range but by far not that well designed at all).

Ken Nguyen
    BPL Member

@ninjapuppet

Locale: B-Town

cat in the grass,

I currently own 5 hillebergs and they all use the same size thread on the kerlon 1200 and kerlon 1800. I havnt seen any of the newer lightweight kerlon 1000 yet.

Sorry I dont know what size you would call it, but I have had all 5 of them in driving rain and none have leaked

cat in grass

@newman

Brilliant.

Thank You very much, Ken!

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

We don't recommend seam sealing on our tents either. Thus far, neither us or customers have had much issue.

cat in grass

@newman

Yeah, but as you can see the point of this thread is not a question 'seam seal or not to seam seal' (this s_o_l_e_l_y depends on seam type + thread type, that's it), it is a thread sickness on different tent models of the mentioned manufacturer. Thanks everybody for the input, anyway!

Maybe someone has tent in Kerlon SP and answer here too (little chances though)…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

it is a thread sickness
    yes , to remain water tight the seams need to be fully sick.

Jan S

@karl-ton

"yes , to remain water tight the seams need to be fully sick."

Doesn't it get thinner if it vomits a lot and wouldn't that be bad for the waterproofness?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

fully sick is what you elderly folk refer to as "high quality"

cat in grass

@newman

Sick happens…
    My post above is all about it is pretty hard to keep on the course with an english as a foreign, esp. without provoking trolling over typos and astenic selfpromotion…

cat in grass

@newman

Epic fail.
    When I have tried to test seams for waterproofness… I got a massive leakage through fabric itself, everywhere of the stuff sack, with a water level inside just 5cm.
    It is hard to believe, but Kerlon SP fabric had HH=0.00m. Virtually.
    An area 3cm wide along the seam was leaking so hard as it was rubbed with a sand paper.
    So I can not test seams as they are leaking heavily due to absence of fabric's sealing ability around the thread and needle holes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools