Topic

Long Trail Thru Hike List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Long Trail Thru Hike List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Rozon

@matthewrozon

Here's my list for a August 18-mid September Long Trail thru hike. I realize it's heavy so I'd like to hear your ideas. I'd have about 100$ to make changes.

Thanks in advance

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12337

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

skip the pack cover and bug spray. you have a liner and there will be no bugs that late.
    why 4x 1L bottles? that is a lot. there aren't many spots where you need more than 2 between water supplies, especially with so much more snow this year. 3 would probably be sufficient.

i would bring either the baselayer and shorts or just pants. with a sleeping bag and bivy you shouldnt need all 3. i like zip off pants

I did it with 1 100g canister.. generally only boiling water at night.. a few breakfasts but still 20ish 2c boils with no problem. I gave up cooking breakfast on like day 3. what are you planning for daily mileage?

not sure what your journal is but that seems heavy, I just took a few 4×8 pieces of paper and stapled them in middle and folded it over like a book. plus a really light pen 20g total vs 160

also take the LT map and then make a copy of the Shelter list pages from the guidebook and maybe the town maps and forget the rest.. the guide is pretty useless. I just kept the map in my pocket and the shelter list and was fine.

I will always suggest Dirty Girl gaiters.. just keeps the pine needles and stuff out of your shoes and keeps your socks cleaner and more comfortable.

what is your main water treatment?

you should adjust your gear grams so that "worn" stuff isn't in the total.. i think hitting the Worn box will do that.

here is my journal and gear list below it from last year. 1 month earlier
    http://jakedatc.wordpress.com/

Matthew Rozon

@matthewrozon

So I dropped the bug spray, pack cover, heavy journal, pants and guidebook…That alone made a 2lbs difference. I think I'm going to stick to the 227g canister because I'll be out for a few more days than you (Max 28days) It's my first long distance hike so I want to make sure I give myself a lot of time to enjoy (and/or suffer :) ).

The 4 platypus were just a mistake. I'm bringing two but only plan to fill up one unless there is a water shortage. My main water filtration is a sawyer squeeze.

I'm thinking of getting http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/CookwareUtensils/Cookware/PRD~4017-232/snow-peak-mini-solo-cookset.jsp?bmForm=productDetail&bmFormID=jRMa5La&bmSubmit=wishlistAdd to replace my pot and cup which would be a savings of 3.5oz or so.. Thoughts?

I've updated the list to reflect the changes.

Thanks again

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Sawyer squeeze is good. i suggest you take a plastic water bottle and cut the bottom off to use as a dipping cup. there were very few sources you can actually dip your Sawyer dirty bag into so pouring makes it a LOT easier. only a few grams anyway.

are you cooking in the pot or freezer bag cooking? (i freezer bag cooked) I have a Stoic 700 pot and a campbells soup microwave cup for my cup w/ metal rim cut off. 4oz + 23g

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/GiftIdeas/ForMen/PRD~5009-510/msr-titan-kettle.jsp Is a good pot and less $ than the Snowpeak kit

Stove is a gigapower? i've never used a windscreen with a canister stove before.

are you going NOBO or SOBO? you posted MEC so i'm guessing you are canadian?

Matthew Rozon

@matthewrozon

Going NOBO, yup Canadian. when I got the stove it came with a windscreen (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/StovesFuel/Accessories/PRD~4015-697/snow-peak-gigapower-stove-windscreen.jsp) I don't know how useful it is and I consider ditching it every trip.

For the Sawyer squeeze I cut the small dirty bag and use that as a dipping cup. It seems to work pretty well.

I think I'll probably end up cooking in the pot. boil for a couple minutes then let sit X amount of time in the cozy.. I'm thinking of making a sunshade cozy to maybe save some weight?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

i made a sunshade cozy for my freezer bag cooking and it works well. I like freezer bags since there are no dishes to do :)

I liked NOBO the southern half is a good warm up for the steeper upper parts and you have your systems dialed in for the harder parts. With the added benefit that you'll be walking "home"

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Keep in mind your sawyer squeeze comes with a bag. Wherever you take the 1l or 2l it's up to you. You can always store water in those bags.

Then I'd take two 1l platys.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Michael I do that with mine.. i use a 1.5L Evernew for the Dirty bag and 2x 1L Powerade bottles. gives me 3.5L of capacity. I found this useful on the LT for water sources not as close to the shelters. I could fill up my 2 bottles normally and have 1.5L in reserve to be used for breakfast.. start of the next day's water etc. I'd always prefer to have things ready in the morning so I could get packed and moving.

Hikers going the other direction and shelter logs are quite useful to figure out how far your next source will be and the quality. It is always nice to know when you can leave light with a bit of water or fill up for a long stretch.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I also picked Jake's (and others) brain before I did my NOBO of the Northern LT (Killington -> Trails End, 173 miles) and pretty much used all the suggestions seen in this thread.

I'd leave the windscreen at home, Evernew dirty bladder for the Squeeze (all 3 of the original bags burst in the 11 days that I was out), copying info about shelters and then bringing the map is a good idea –> be sure to also copy over and trail angel / B & B info along the way, just if you need a night to bail into a real bed. I did it the middle 2 weeks of September last year, and loved it! A good idea to go NOBO to get your legs under you before tackling the harder northern section. Enjoy !!

I also love my Dirty Girl gaiters, and used a freezer bag and cozy for all my cooking — used 100g canister on my Jetboil for about 2.5 c /day of boiling. After 11 days still had a lot of fuel.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Yo Seth ;) what can I say.. rock climbing has given me a knack for remembering beta (route info)

when are we going to go for a hike eh?

I would also add that it would be advantageous to go into it in good hiking shape.. get as many warm up hikes in before hand up to a few days out to get used to back to back days.

Matthew Rozon

@matthewrozon

Thanks again everyone. I seem to be alone in this but my platypus plus bottles (bought 2011) thread perfectly with my sawyer squeeze. I've tested it a few times now and put a good amount of pressure just to be sure. Good thing because it looks impossible to get evernew bags in Canada

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools