Topic

Why a knife instead of scissors?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why a knife instead of scissors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Jan S

@karl-ton

"What happened to HYOH?"

Okay, I suck at those acronyms. What's HYOH?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Hike your own hike.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

> As far as the OT, I find that I use the knife blade way
    > more often than the scissors, even when they will both
    > do the job. For me the knife blade is faster and easier.

Yes, but WHAT/WHY are you using it? The whole point of the thread is so that I can understand WHAT people are using their UL knives for (outside of woodcraft), and why they prefer them.

I don't care WHAT your preferences are, what I DO care about, is WHY…

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I've sharpened a razor before but it's very hard to get it "razor" sharp again. The metal is paper thin and wears down quickly. And dulls quickly with use.
    Most people do not resharpen razor blades it's to easy to just buy a pack of them and dispose of them. Even if you resharpened it I doubt it will last long especially since they are prone to snapping and breaking if you are not very careful. An UL knife will easily outlast it and be far easier to hand sharpen.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Brian: I'm with you on that. I don't resharpen razor blades to save weight or money. But in a pinch, if it has gotten dull, you can touch it up. Not to factory-new, but noticeably better.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

The cheap version of Daniel's most excellent $11.15 blade-angle guide above is to masking tape a dime/penny/nickel/washer (depends on blade width) to each side of the blade at the back. You then maintain a constant angle on both sides of the blade.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"James that will NEVER happen to him. he already stated his gear will never fail."

Who stated that? Not the OP.

James didn't say his gear failed. He forgot to fix something before he left. Big difference. I don't carry tent poles but if I had run into that situation, some Gorilla tape from my repair kit would have worked fine. Nothing wrong with the way James did it, but a knife wasn't the only way.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Quite true. There are many ways to improvise. A knife isn't the only one. As the saying goes, when you have a hammer, a lot of things look like nails ;)

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Why? Because it is easier and faster for me. Opening a meal pouch, one quick swipe of the blade and its open. With scissors its cut, cut, cut, etc. Basically, most cutting requires one cut with a blade and several cuts with the scissors. Additionally the blade is easier and faster to "deploy". By the time I can get the scissors out and ready to use I could have already finished with the blade. There certainly are things that are easier with scissors. Nail trimming comes to mind.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Thanks Larry. What other tasks have you found easier and faster with a knife?

I assume a knife is faster to deploy because you carry it on your belt, or in a pocket? I would think you could open scissors about as fast as you could flip a knife open?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"Now just how are you going to blaze a tree, split firewood,
    cut stout tent pegs, kill and skin a pig, make stretcher poles, fell a tree to cross a deep chasm, fight off a
    griz, or peel a potato, with just a razor blade?" (or scissors).

Old thread

What knife do you carry backpacking?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16134&skip_to_post=127324

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Its hard to think of all the things that come up. When its more like camping much more comes up. The scissors I carry are part of a multitool that is carried on my belt. So it takes two hands to pull the scissors out and then you have to move one lever back to use them. With the blade I can open the blade with one hand. Also simply opening a meal package is many cuts with little scissors and one with any size blade.

But a lot of this is just what one is used to. Never had scissors when camping so I got used to using a knife blade for my cutting tasks. So that is what I am comfortable with.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Instructors around ropes courses and climbing sites often use EMT snips instead of a knife for rigging and emergencies.
    A sharp knife will cut a loaded rope in a moment, maybe the wrong rope, while you have to be more deliberate with the EMT scissors.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Daniel: Yeah, I think of the masking tape and coins as a quick-n-dirty, touch-up technique.

For a lot of blades or a lot of work on one blade, that DMT aligner would be much better.

I just wanted to put a improvisational tip into people's heads.

But practice, practice, practice. Eventually, you can hold a constant angle without any aids. Rather like someone who burns 7 cords of wood every winter for a few decades can sharp a chainsaw by eye better than I can with a jig.

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools