Topic

Has anyone seam sealed an HMG Expedition

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Has anyone seam sealed an HMG Expedition

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Just received my new HMG Porter 4400 and quite like it build and material.

I do note however that it does leak air (and hence will allow in water) around some of the seams where compression straps and the like are attached.

Has anyone seam sealed one of these? And if so what did you use? Seam Grip?

Thanks
    Derrick

Johan Engberg

@luffarjohan

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime

I corresponded with HMG about this subject some time ago and got this answer from Mike:

"We do seam seal every where we can during the manufacturing of our packs. The only place we cannot is the seam around the back panel of the pack. If you would like to seam seal the pack around this seam I would recommend using a liquid seam sealer like the McNett Seam Sealer and run a small bead around that seam on the outside of the pack. I've never found the need to do this on my personal packs but we have had several customers do this with great success."

/J

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I've never bothered to, and haven't had a problem.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I sealed a portion of the back panel, not because I was worried about waterproofing, but because the seams appeared to be under a lot of tension in that area (between shoulder straps and upper compression straps (see below). I used seam grip, and it has held up well, with no evidence of widening of the stitching holes.

hmg

Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

Just reviving this old thread to check if anybody else had tried seam sealing the bottom seam of their HMG pack.  I tried seam sealing the outside seam (as recommended by Mike Pierre) but found this to be not very effective as one side of the seam joins the hip belt and so has a foam/ mesh surface.

I am about to turn the whole pack inside out and will seal from the inside but just thought I’d check if anybody has any tips on doing this?

As an aside – am I alone in thinking it’s a bit disappointing that HMG doesn’t work out a way to do this properly in the factory?  Seems odd for a pack that is touted as ideal for pack rafting?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools