Topic

Backpacking: baby on board (the sequel)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking: baby on board (the sequel)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nick meynen

@nickmeynen

Locale: Kessel-Lo

Remember that odd couple attempting a traverse of the Pyreneees with their 3-month old baby? Well, they walked the 1000km – although in 4 parts. First with baby (see the BPL article 'Backpacking: baby on board' http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/babyonboard.html#.UUjUJxmBA7A). Later with toddler. By the time she was 2 years and 6 months, Flora had crossed the 1000km, on foot (well, mostly carried of course). The fool / dad wrote a book on it – launched next month in Belgium. Partly on the art of walking with small children (with words of thanks to BPL & the best parts of the heated debate we had mentionned in the book).

I thought you might like this 4 minute movie showing how a thru-hike with a 2 year old in the Pyreneeës is great fun indeed. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=162621733889252

A BPL article will follow …

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Way to go, Nick, Fany and Flora! Congratulations–and also on the book!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

You have my vote. Loved the video.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks Nick, I can't wait for the article

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Lazy kid. Where's HER backpack?

Just kidding, that's awesome actually. I hope I have the patience, and the time to give our daughter experiences like that.

Christopher Gutwein
    BPL Member

@syntax

My wife and I are already worried that a child will cut out the primitive outdoor activities we enjoy from our lives for a number of years. Gives me hope, we'll be getting the book to explore our options.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Amazing video. Was laughing very loudly in my office while watching. my 22 month old is just reaching the 1 mile trail limit of her hiking ability but can cross rivers and deal with stones the same way Flora does. How did you build up her stamina, whats the longest she can go and what kind of backpack carrier are you using? How are you dealing with diaper changes? Many questions, can't wait for our first overnight backpacks this summer.

Steve Behaeghel
    BPL Member

@evets

Locale: Gent, BELGIUM

I’m going to hijack my friend Nick Meynen’s forum post to add our experience on backpacking with a baby on board.

When our daughter was 20 weeks old, we took her on a extremely rewarding backcountry 45-day backpacking trip into Chilean and Argentine Patagonia. Ice-caked mountains, evergreen virgin rainforrests, eye-blurring blue and green rivers, golden rolling pampa, abundant wildlife, rare humans, vitamin D spitting sun, howling wind, freshes ever air and senses running overtime. Contrary to gut feeling, it turned our baby way more relaxed then when put between four walls.

A video report you find on my latest blogpost

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

Adobe Flash is now blocked by most browsers, and for good reason too. It’s a security nightmare. You need to convert to HTML5 or post some nice stills.

Cheers

Steve Behaeghel
    BPL Member

@evets

Locale: Gent, BELGIUM

Hi Roger,

I don’t know what you mean. My blog is hosted on wordpress.com. And the video is on vimeo.com. Both platforms seem safe to me. What exactly is the problem?

A video report you find on my latest blogpost

Thx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools