Topic

3 season gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 season gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Hi
    Im relatively new to lightweight backpacking. I have been updating my gear lately and I would really like you guys to taka a look at my gear list and maby help me save some more weight.
    This is my 3 seaseon gear list, I live in Norway and hike in temperatures from 20F-77F (-5C-25C)

I do alot of fishing, but I did not include my fishing gear on this list because this is wery personal to me :) the total weight of my fishing gear is 27.2oz771g

Packsheltersleeping :
    ULA Circuit 37oz1050g
    Cuben fiber pack liner 1.7oz50g
    DIY Hammock 23.9oz677g
    Cuben fiber tarp 9.7oz277g
    23 Underquilt + pad (20F) 15.9oz450g
    Topquilt (20F) 24oz/679g
    Stakesxtra cord 3.8oz109g

Misc:
    Phone 3.45oz98g
    Garmin oregon 450 6.91oz196g
    Camera 5.64oz160g
    Neck knife 2.75oz78g
    Sit pad 0.67oz19g
    Map 1.4oz40g
    lightweight towel 0.59oz17g
    Firstaidrepairxtra batteries 5oz144g
    Head lamp 1.16oz33g
    Compass 0.98oz28g
    Car keys 1.7oz50g
    sun glasses 0.84oz24g
    water bottle 1oz31g
    toothbruspaste 0.67oz19g
    sun screen 0.81oz23g
    DEET 0.35oz10g
    Hand sanatizer 0.70oz20g
    TP 1oz30g

Cooking:
    Ti Evernew 900windscreencozy 5.9oz168g
    Catcan stove primer plate 0.49oz14g
    Lighter 0.45oz13g
    Spoon 0.31oz9g
    8oz alcohol bottle 1.23oz35g
    drinking cup 0.91oz26g

Clothing (in pack):
    Head net (bugnet) 0.7oz20g
    1 pair of wool socks 2.46oz70g
    1 boxer shorts 2.82oz80g
    long johns 5.99oz170g
    thin fleece sweater 8oz223g
    patagonia nano puff jacket 9.87oz280g
    hat 2.64oz75g
    gloves 1.79oz51g
    rain jacket 11.46oz325g
    rain pants 6.34oz180g

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

help please?

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

Sorry, edit for my reading failure.

Your whole shelter/sleeping bag setup is 74 ounces. I'm not too familiair with hammock setups, but I get away with a 10 ounce tarp, 28 ounce sleeping bag, and an 11 ounce thermarest short prolite for a grand total of 49 ounces. I use it comfortably down to about 20 F.

You are carrying a tarp, a hammock, 2 sleeping bags, and a sleeping mat. Again, I don't personally know the virtues of hammock sleeping, but it seems like a lot of gear.

Everything else looks good. You could pass on the GPS, but everything looks pretty minimal.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How about some information on your hammock. What does that weight include? What type of hammock, bridge, gathered end, double layered,etc..?

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Phone, GPS, Camera are about a pound of electronics can you get a device that covers multiple of these applicatons. Camera phone etc. or if you have no cell service where you hike leave the phone at the trailhead.

Sit pad – you have a pad for your hammock, and the circuit has an integrated back pad already. Do you need a sit pad.

Knife – 2.75oz is heavy for a knife around here. Do you need the additional capability that the extra weight gives you or can you use a sub one ounce knife.

TP – do you need it? Do you pack it out? I find a nice alpine meadow moss works great.

Pot 900ml is quite large for a solo pot? Do you need the capacity.
    Drinking cup – do you need a separate cup from your pot?

Thin fleece jacket – do you wear this while hiking? If not could you carry a thicker jacket like a micropuff or down sweater for camp warmth.

Rain Jacket – there are lighter jackets available but not to bad

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

You can shave pounds off your kit easily by going with a new shelter and backpack.

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Thank you for your replies :)

"You are carrying a tarp, a hammock, 2 sleeping bags, and a sleeping mat. Again, I don't personally know the virtues of hammock sleeping, but it seems like a lot of gear."

Yes its heavier than a ground setup but its so much more comfortable ;) im working on a lightweight groundsetup for when i hike above tree line, but most of my hiking is done below

"How about some information on your hammock. What does that weight include? What type of hammock, bridge, gathered end, double layered,etc..?"
    The weight includes 11ft single layer 1.5 ripstopnylon gathered end hammock with suspension and a detachable bug net(4oz)

"Phone, GPS, Camera are about a pound of electronics can you get a device that covers multiple of these applicatons. Camera phone etc. or if you have no cell service where you hike leave the phone at the trailhead."

I have a GPS on my iphone, but it runs out of batteries really fast, I dont need a phone but my wife is forcing me to bring it :) I think the camera on my iphone sucks compared to my compact camera.
    Can anyone reccomend a device that can do 2-3 of these applications?

"Sit pad – you have a pad for your hammock, and the circuit has an integrated back pad already. Do you need a sit pad."
    Nice one :)

"Knife – 2.75oz is heavy for a knife around here. Do you need the additional capability that the extra weight gives you or can you use a sub one ounce knife."

Maby I can get away with a lighter knife, but I need a knife that can prepare fish for cooking

"TP – do you need it? Do you pack it out? I find a nice alpine meadow moss works great"

Have to work on a good tecnique before i leave the TP at home ;)

"Pot 900ml is quite large for a solo pot? Do you need the capacity.
    Drinking cup – do you need a separate cup from your pot?"

I like a wider pot for my alcohol stove, and its nice to cook fish in it :)

"Thin fleece jacket – do you wear this while hiking? If not could you carry a thicker jacket like a micropuff or down sweater for camp warmth."

I have been thinking of letting it go, but im not sure yet. I like that it dries so fast

"You can shave pounds off your kit easily by going with a new shelter and backpack."

I know that a ground setup is lighter, but i love the comfort and the ease of site selection that the hammock gives me

The circuit can carry more food and water than many of the lighter alternatives i have seen (for longer trips)
    Im considering a lighter pack for shorter trips

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

"Can anyone reccomend a device that can do 2-3 of these applications?"

Nokia Pureview 808 (169grams/6oz). Likely the best camera phone available and likely better than most point and shoot cameras. It also has GPS, but unsure of app development or your requirements (maps or just lat/lon location).

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

I have to read some reviews of the Pureview

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

"You can shave pounds off your kit easily by going with a new shelter and backpack."

What pack do you reccomend

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

You'll find many such recommendations on BPL; check the Reader Reviews, and do a search through the Articles' archive.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

I think a lighter option for gpsphonecamera is the way to go, still looking for a lighter knife (eyeballing the ballado knives)

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Little Vickie Knife – http://www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife – lighter knife that works for fish. Haven't used it yet but I've heard good things.

Pack – I have the same one. You can take off some of the removable parts and trim the straps. I did minimal work and got mine down to 33 oz.

Hammock – what suspension are you using? Without the bugnet, your setup is about 4-5 oz heavier than my DIY setup.

– 9 oz for 10 ft. diy 1.5 single layer hammock
    – 1.5 oz whoopie slings and toggles
    – 4 oz straps

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a nice kit to me. A smart phone with GPS capabilities and camera would be a nice alternative, if you can keep the battery charged and the camera is up to your standards.

Looks like your hammock kit is good to me, but I'm dieing to know what you made.

I don't think much of the Baladeo knives. With no guard and the frame lock, they look dangerous to me. +1 on the Little Vickie paring knife: cheap, light, super sharp, great for food preparation and cleaning fish.

Other than that, I would get outside!

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

"Little Vickie Knife – http://www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife – lighter knife that works for fish. Haven't used it yet but I've heard good things."
    I have never been a fan of serrated blade knives (have never owned one) Whats the point of that kind of blade? cut rope?

"Hammock – what suspension are you using? Without the bugnet, your setup is about 4-5 oz heavier than my DIY setup."

My hammock is 1ft longer than yours(not much weight)
    My suspension is whoopieslings + straps, but I do use some hardware(dutchware) to make the setup alot faster

"Looks like a nice kit to me. A smart phone with GPS capabilities and camera would be a nice alternative, if you can keep the battery charged and the camera is up to your standards."
    Im going to upgrade my pohone from a Iphone3Gs to Iphone5, and maby add a battery bank to my pack.
    I did take a look at the Nokia Pureview 808, I think it has a nice camera, but other than that I didnt like it :(

"Looks like your hammock kit is good to me, but I'm dieing to know what you made."
    What I made? I sewed a gathered end hammock from 1.5ripstopnylon and added a lash-it ridgeline + I made something called a HUG (bugnet) http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/the-hug-bug-net.html
    pretty easy to DIY

Thanks again for helping me :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I have never been a fan of serrated blade knives (have never owned one) Whats the point of that kind of blade? cut rope?"

I'm not a fan of serrated blades on knives with thicker blades, but it works fine on this thin flexible blades. Serrated blades do excel at cutting fiberous materials. This one is thin and has a molded plastic handle, so it's not made for heavy cutting. If you want to peel and slice fruit, make a salad, cut cheese, clean a trout, open a package or trim a line it will work well.

You can certainly buy plain edged paring knives. Kuhn Rikon and KAI and others make small paring knives with sheaths and Victorinox makes several without sheaths.

I have a Forschner 3.25" plain edged paring knife with a rosewood handle:Forschner paring knife

The problem is having a sheath or some sort of edge cover that doesn't ruin the weight advantages of these small knives. The Little Vickie solves it all for $10 and 1oz total.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I have some preferance changes but nothing worth mentioning. your gear list looks good to me. and you understand that the shelter is a little heavy. But I get the comfort difference.

Im not sure where or for what you are fishing but I use a Pen rod with a couple acme lures and a mini reel. I also pack a couple split shots, a bobber, 4-5 hooks and Power bait. I think my total tackle weight is about a pound less. or i bring my tenkara(even lighter). Of course this is only good for trout in the sierras. I dont think I could pull in anything of any size with this with out a lot of luck.

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

The I phone 5 has a pretty nice camera on it. If you want to take nicer photos with it I recommend playing around with the hdr setting. I Have it on my HTC EVO 4G LTE (android) and it makes a huge difference.

When using g my phone for gps, I get 4-5 days from a single charge on my phone with it in airplane mode with light gps use. If I'm using gps tracking to log mileage and elevation gain etc. I can get 2 days from a full charge moving 8 hours a day. I bring a battery pack to charge my phone on longer trips.

-loki

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

"Im not sure where or for what you are fishing but I use a Pen rod with a couple acme lures and a mini reel"

Im fishing trout in Norway
    You have a link to the pen rod and reel you are using? what is the weight of the rodreel?
    Is this quality fishing gear? or is it just lightweight fishing gear?

"When using my phone for gps, I get 4-5 days from a single charge on my phone with it in airplane mode with light gps use. If I'm using gps tracking to log mileage and elevation gain etc. I can get 2 days from a full charge moving 8 hours a day. I bring a battery pack to charge my phone on longer trips.
    "

I just have to find out for how long the battery wil last when using it as a CameraphoneGPS (I will use it most as a camera)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools