Topic

Exped air pillow Ultra Light vs. Exped air pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped air pillow Ultra Light vs. Exped air pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I'm wondering how the ultra lite version of this pillow compares to its counterpart. The original claims 2.8 ounces and the ultra light claims 1.6 ounces.

What are the differences between the 2? Does the ultra lite version sacrifice comfort?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It's just the denier of the fabric. The ul version is 15 or 20d and is probably more comfortable.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I actually just got the large "UL" version in today. I had been using the medium original version. The difference in the two pillows is that the "UL" model uses a lighter weight material, as well as only uses 1 valve, rather than 2. My medium, original pillow weighs 3 oz (without the stuff sack). My new, large "UL" version weighs 2 oz (without the stuff sack). Also, the large "UL" pillow will also pack up smaller than the medium original pillow, although, both are quite small when packed up.

However, the material on the original probably does feel just a little better next to skin, although, I don't think that the material on the "UL" is uncomfortable, but I haven't actually slept on it yet, only laid on the floor with my face against it. But I use then inside a pillow case too, so the feel of the material is not important to me, but the weight is.

IMO, if you don't have either and just want to buy one, I would suggest the "UL" version…

A W

@lost_01

so it's either the montbell pillow or the Exped UL pillow for the weight

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Thanks Chad! This is the kind of info I wanted to see. I own the original in Medium but was just curious if I should cash in and by the other. I think I'll stick with my OG until the UL goes on discount for the minimal weight savings.
    Cheers

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

No problem Dan… and I was going to wait until I got my REI dividends and the sale to get mine, but I went ahead and got it anyway… now I get to use my dividends on something else… hhhmmmm…. :)

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

Having more $$ than sense, I shelled out for the UL version to reduce pack weight. Shape and size are identical, but I've found the UL version to be noticeably more "rustly" if that's a word. It's more noisy to sleep on.

Consequently I have to say I prefer the original. I did spend the last three months of last year sleeping on the "original" version on our 2200 km Murray Rier paddle, so perhaps I'm a bit wedded to my old friend the "original" version.

I also use a pillowslip – perhaps a bit more experimenting wih the UL version would reduce the annoying "rustle factor" e.g. stuffing a down vest/jacket in between the noisy pillow and the pillowslip.

Suffice to say I'm packing for an Easter trip today, and I've packed the "original" model! If I was pack carrying instead of cycling I may have leant towards the UL model.

Cheers.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I can attest to the "rustle factor" of the UL, although I don't have the original to compare it to.

I've only used the UL a hand full of times when I bought it late last year and am still trying to reduce the annoyance that Karen speaks to.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

The only noises in the night I want to hear are cool breezes and water trickling from a stream. I think I'll stick with my regular version! :P

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I have the exped synmat UL7, and I really like the material, its soft against the skin, quiet etc.

The pillow is made of the same material, if it were me id rather save an easy 2 ounces!

Scott H.

@handyman439

I am about to get one of these, but still cant decide which to get… is the UL version really that much louder?

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

Depends I guess …. are you likely to be annoyed by rustling in the night?

I used the original pillow on a car camping trip last night (the Land Rover could cope with the extra grams) – no noticeable rustling noises – but I have spent a lot of time on this pillow so am very used to it.

If gram counting is your aim, go with the UL version – if you've never slept on the original you won't know he difference!

If on the other hand you're a light sleeper or think you'll be annoyed by rustling in your ear all night, get the original version!

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

…buy both and return one as soon as practicable….after you decide of course! :-)

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

I see it has been some time since someone posted on this topic, but it still may be of interest. I owned the "original" Air Pillow first, and I really liked it. I bought the UL because of the lightweight. It functioned the same. Still really comfortable, yes the lighter fabric is a touch more noisy and not quite as comfy, but really not a big deal to me. The bad news is that one of the baffles of the UL broke/tore after roughly 20 nights use. Always taking care of it and always on top of a pad or in a tent. So instead of the comfy shape that makes these so great, it now has a bulge in the middle. It also started to leak just before the baffle tore.

I certainly like the UL version, but disappointed it didn't hold up. I see now that they have an Air Pillow Lite. It uses a 75D fabric, but the weight is the same as the UL (2 ounces) on the Exped site. My UL in size medium was about 1.5 ounces. I am guessing that the new "Lite" version must be around 2 ounces. So along with the Comfort Pillow they have 4 versions of the same pillow!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools