Topic

tuolumne meadows to the valley

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning tuolumne meadows to the valley

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

where are the fire rings between tuolumne meadows and merced lake, and merced lake and LYV?

Want to avoid vogelsang HSC and stay more in the backcountry. thanks

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

You are not supposed to build new fire rings, but a lot of people ignore that rule. The result is that there are fire rings EVERYWHERE.
    So chances are that if you think a particular spot looks attractive for camping, somebody in the past thought the same and built you a fire ring. Enjoy!

PS. Fires are prohibited above 9600 feet, so camp below that altitude if you want to have a fire.

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Are there any legal ones?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

People like to build fire rings out of rocks every time they have a fire. I really don't understand why.
    If you are going to build a campfire in an area where people camp often, then use the fire ring. But if there isn't a fire ring, then just build it right on the ground and scatter your ashes when done. Whenever I see a fire ring while hiking off trail I always disassemble it.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Yup, below 9600 feet they are legal.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

"But if there isn't a fire ring, then just build it right on the ground and scatter your ashes when done. Whenever I see a fire ring while hiking off trail I always disassemble it."

Or don't build a fire at all. I think we've built about three fires in the last seven years…always in an existing ring. You don't need a fire to camp, and they do mar the wilderness.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools