Topic

MLD now has Evernew bladders in stock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD now has Evernew bladders in stock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I don't know if the caps being orange sells me. I don't really lose a big plastic bottle very often where improved visibility was key.

As for the threads, a lot of people followed up looking for info.

-I bought my Platypus 2L bottle off of Amazon in February, the same week I bought my 2013 Sawyer Squeeze from MLD. MLD shipped out the Sawyer with the new and improved durable plastic bottle. I tried the Platy on a whim, and it mated absolutely perfectly. No forcing, no leaking. I tested it several times and it was perfect!

I seem to be the only one on BPL who managed to never have a problem with a filter, bottle, or connection… I've bought exactly one bottle, one filter, and one reservoir and all are compatible in TOO many ways. Useless ways!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I seem to be the only one on BPL who managed to never have a problem with a filter, bottle, or connection… "

What? Since February 2013? Just you wait. Mwahahaha….

Kidding with you, of course!! I too have never had a single mishap or leak with any of my Platys — and my oldest one dates back to 2004. Read the myriad of posts over the years, my take is that:

1. Pretty much all the well-known brands are dependable — you just need to exercise common-sense care.
    2. Pretty much all the brands will have an odd lemon or three — no exceptions here. I've read about Platy mishaps more than once. Same with the other brands.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've used a couple Platys over 10 years. After a while they start delaminating, getting yellow, and become stiffer. When you move the empty bag around it makes kind of as crinkly noise. I think it will fail at some point so I retire it and get another.

But using it with a Squeeze filter is different. You squeeze on the bag to get water through the filter so there's a lot more pressure on the bag. With the filter attached to the bag, it puts a lot of sideways force on it. Platypus, Evernew, or Sawyer bags could fail, especially if not babied, even though in just regular water carrying mode they'de all be fine.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Since pictures are worth a thousand words…

side by side

Here's two Evernew bottles rolled up and secured with the fancy pants orange shock cord. This is how I would typically store my bladders in the side pocket of my pack. The one on the left is the handy 2000ml bladder and the one on the right is the 900ml. Both of these are roughly 4 years old. The larger bladder on the left is the one that failed in normal use from the shockcord "cutting" into the sides of the bottleneck while rolled up in my pack. Sure, it still holds water, but leaks like a sieve if not perfectly upright and/or filled up.

closeup

closeup2

Closeup of tear on one side. Both sides were torn equally.

neck

Delamination where the bladder meets the rigid neck opening.

So, my point?

The claimed durability isn't really all that great, at least in my case, not enough to be claimed the "toughest" IMO. But what do you expect from wafer thin polyethylene? The flexibility of the polyethylene will noticeably diminish in a good season of use, as with any of these "Platy" style vessels. I live in NM and it's dry, dry, dry. Maybe the heat and sunshine played a big role?

Something to consider if you have $12-$15 burning a hole in your pocket. That's at least a sixer of Oskar Blues Chub and a whole lot more fun.

Sorry if I hijacked your enthusiastic post Travis, just thought I'd bring everybody down a notch to my crotchety level tonight. Of course, YMMV with the Evernew bottles. One example of a failure doesn't mean they're garbage. Ben is right on, exercise common sense and care, and of course there will always be the odd lemon in the lot.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Since pictures are worth a thousand words…"

I'd say more like 286…

"The claimed durability isn't really all that great, at least in my case, not enough to be claimed the "toughest" IMO. But what do you expect from wafer thin polyethylene?"

Your pics certainly show that. I'd never really thought about the cord cutting into the bladder, your pics are quite illuminating. Thanks.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Yeah, those pictures likely just saved 2015 Max Dilthey a new Platypus.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe the pictures show that you shouldn't put cord around bag like that?

Lots of satisfied Evernew users

I think Evernew is probably best, but Platypus (with correct threads) and even Sawyer bags will work too.

They're all lightweight bags subject to failure so you have to be careful with them

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Folks are always posting whenever Gossamer Gear or MLD gets the Evernew bags in stock. I bought mine at Trail Designs when I bought my Caldera Cone this winter.

Edit: I checked, and the "add to cart" tab is missing, so they might be out for now.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Up in Wisconsin, we don't call that "orange."

We call it "don't get your ass shot off during hunting season."

Come to think of it, I have an orange Talon pack, and orange quilt, and now, some orange Evernew caps.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Subconsciously, Travis is terrified of getting shot!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Subconsciously, Travis is terrified of getting shot!

Nope. Very CONsciously terrified!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The EVERNEW is nothing more than a light(er) Platypus collapsable bottle. It is most certainly not a true water bladder with attatchment points for your pack.

I'll stick with my Platy bottles for carrying extra water to dry camps.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Same thing.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools