Topic

MLD now has Evernew bladders in stock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD now has Evernew bladders in stock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Just ordered some along with the 2013 Sawyer Squeeze. Git 'em while the gittin's hot!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I think Travis meant to say Sawyer. :P

Edit: I stand corrected. I see they sell both Evernew and Sawyer (but not the new Sawyer bladders w/o the filter yet).

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Those super hard-to-find evernew bladders are finally in stock at MLD.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yep. Jennifer wins!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Platypus fits with the 2013 sawyer, so I'm a little less excited than I would be otherwise. I don't know if anyone prefers Evernew over Platypus.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

@Max: did you test this yourself? So the 2013 sawyer sqeeze has different threads?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

2013 Platypus threads fit Sawyer

Sawyer Squeeze has always had the same threads

You might want to test Platypus threads when you can still return it. You could just hold the threads up to the threads of a Sawyer bag, for example, and see if they're the same.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

So Platypus changed their threads for 2013? On all the bottles, or one model specifically? I have a 2013 Saywer Squeeze and multiple Playtpus, a mix of 2009 through 2012, and all have threads that are slightly off when trying to mate with the Squeeze.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

All I know is that older Platypus threads fit and newer ones like 2009 to 2012 don't quite fit. You can screw them on but water leaks around filter a little which can get untreated water into the treated water.

I think the newest Platypus threads are back to the threads that work, but if you bought a Platypus how would you know it was the 2013 and not the 2012 version?

Like I said, you can tell just by looking so maybe this is something you should get at REI where you can look at it or return it.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I'm skeptical that the 2013 Platypus bladders fit the Sawyer Squeeze. They were always close, but never the same. A picture comparing the threads would be nice.

It is funny reading through old BPL posts to see how quickly popular gear changes. A couple years ago, every one used Platys. Fast forward to today, it seems almost every one uses (or wants) Evernews.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

I understand now. Well if I'd have to buy all new Platy bags, I may as well just get some Evernew ones from MLD. Either way I'm buying new bladders. Thanks

EDIT: It's worth noting that my current system is to use a 3L platy connected to the squeeze via tube, and it works great in gravity mode as a basecamp setup. But having the filter more rigidly connected to the bladder is much more convenient when squeeze filtering, so I completely understand why people were willing to switch to the Evernew bladders.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

All the Plattys I have tried at first seem to fit the Sawyer Filter OK until you start moving water and then it leaks a lot- non functional. The threads are close enough to screw on but not quite a match. Dry fit test means nothing…

The Evernew fit perfectly and are the same as almost all common soda bottles.

FYI. 20% of our pre sales stock are now gone, in less than 12 hrs since we put them up, and we expect thatt to move to 80 % gone by the end of the weekend.

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

I wouldn't take too long to decide if you want a couple. When Gossamer Gear had them in December they didn't last but a few days if I recall correctly.

Edit: Like what Ron just said above my post.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If I was to buy a bag right now I'de buy the Evernew from MLD

But, if those are gone, the old Sawyer bag actually works pretty good

I've used mine maybe 20 nights – maybe 3 pints per night – no problems. I squeeze gently or I just let gravity do it. And I store them flat on the inside of pack.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

+1 to Ron's comment.

"All the Plattys I have tried at first seem to fit the Sawyer Filter OK until you start moving water and then it leaks a lot- non functional. The threads are close enough to screw on but not quite a match. Dry fit test means nothing…"

I took the old Sawyer Squeeze bladders on a trip and had one fall off a stump onto its side and punctured. I don't know if the new ones are any stronger but I wouldn't trust them. I got in on the fall run of the Evernews and they work great and don't break with a simple fall.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you have a good supply of platys and want to use them with the Squeeze, you can buy the hose adapter kit to fit the Sawyer for $5. The comes with male and female hose barb adapters for both ends of the filter. You could make a short adapter for squeezing or a long one for gravity filtering, so you get more height (and pressure) above the filter. Of course, the long hose would still work for squeezing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I wonder if the reports of Sawyer bag failures are just because more people use them?

The Evernews have not been available much so maybe less use explains no reported failures

If a bag falls off a stump and breaks, for example, maybe you can't blame the bag?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For those who have used both, could y'all do a compare/contrast? I've always used Platys — but them Evernews look cool too!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If I'm going to put a bladder in my pack and trust it with my other gear, let alone depend on it for my source of water, it should survive a short drop without splitting open.

A comparative bladder torture test would make an interesting article.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I switched from Platypus to Evernew several years ago simply because I got tired of losing caps off the Platypus–Evernew caps have a connector holding them to the bladder, so you can't lose them. I can therefore sit here and smugly watch the frantic search for Evernew bladders.

Of course the current popularity in Evernew bladders is because their threads match the Sawyer Squeeze filter, which the newer Platypus do not.

Evernew did have its production severely interrupted by the tsunami two years ago. At some point, though, they will catch up to the demand (especially if Platypus has had sense enough to change back to standard threads) and everyone will be overstocked….

I'll never go back to Platy, though, because I like the Evernew bladders so much better. It's wonderful not to have to worry about losing a cap or mixing up the caps between "dirty" and "clean" bags in a gravity system. With the bright orange caps, the Evernew bladders are easier to find, too.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Mary.

It's been 2 or so years since I purchased a Platy. Did Platy change their threads? I hope not…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Platy vs. Evernew?

I've used both and stuck with Evernew a few years ago for their compatibility with the Frontier Pro filter and hosing. However, durability is a moot point, neither having an "edge" over the other in terms of build quality. I've seen both explode in the same fashion. Catastrophically. That fancy little bright orange cord toggle that everyone is crazy about that keeps the cute little orange cap attached is also the achilles heel of the Evernew bladders. When you roll up the bladder numerous times and store in your pack the cord can slowly cut into the neck of the blader causing failure. This was the case for my 2L Evernew bladder which failed on a trip. Luckily I had a backup bladder as well as a Gatorade bottle (*really the best and cheapest solution for toting 1L of water IMO)

The Evernew bladders have been around for a while now. For some reason they're trending amongst the BPL circle. Me thinks it's that orange. UL'ers are suckers for orange.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Way to go, Killjoy. Thanks for knocking the excitement out of my first ever purchase of the Super Duper Amazing Evernew bottles that I can't enjoy a backpacking trip without.

;)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Poor Travis, sounds like the grinch stole Christmas.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Me thinks it's that orange. UL'ers are suckers for orange."

Except Eugene. The first thing he did was dye the fancy little bright orange cord toggle a deep black…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools