Topic

altimeter watches on ebay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) altimeter watches on ebay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

There's a lot of these–particularly casios and highgear–that go for pretty cheap. Do the manometers lose accuracy over time or does the altimeter function remain reliable?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The pressure sensors in them are solid state. I'm unaware of any degradation over time. I've got a 20-year-old altimeter watch that does fine, still. So does my 30-year-old Thommen mechanical altimeter.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Thanks, David.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The contour lines on my topo maps show the elevation and I have never had a map lose its accuracy or break :)

My wife bought me a Casio Pathfinder watch with an altimeter. Found I rarely used that function, plus it was much bulkier and heavier than my other watches. Now I only use the Pathfinder on day hikes with my wife.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools