Topic

I think I have a gear problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I think I have a gear problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"The name escapes me at the moment, but I KNOW we had a poster here a few years back who had TWELVE sleeping bags! I ain't making this up!"

That was Sven Klingemann wasn't it?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Man, he's a rookie–I have 17 sleeping bags, 11 pads, and 15+ packs. And then there are all these stoves, canisters, clothing for all seasons, pots and pans, titanium stock, and other miscellaneous unimportant gear detritus. What a garage sale this will be when I am finally forced to give it all up. But what about Dale Wambaugh–I'll bet he beats me all to heck…

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was Jonathon Boozer with the twelve bags. I remember because he sold at least one of them to me, and shipped me another couple that I bought online. He did post up some very very impressive gear room pics though, which I immediately showed to my wife to down play my collection.

As far as Dale's collection goes, I've also bought some of it, but I get the feeling he keeps it much more in check. I spent a day gear shopping with him a few years back in Seattle, and I get the impression that he gets much more enjoyment from passing on the great deals he scores, than he does from hoarding it for himself.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mr. Boozer. Hope he did not have a gear avalanche.

I remember his gear garage photo now.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Rod, I expect that you right about Dale. He has an interesting ability to piece gear setups together, and then offer the extra leftover items on Gear Swap for a good price. I could certainly learn something from him about keeping things in check…

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Last year I sold a Trailstar and Hexamid and regret it to this day. So keeping all that gear is a good thing as long as its used. I try to lend it out when I'm not using it so others are enjoying the outdoors. I have the funds to spend and they may not. Spread the love…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Well said Steve:-)

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

My wife teases me sometimes because of my mass of gear. But I recently outfitted my brother-in-law's whole family with tents and sleeping bags/quilts for a family gathering. And it pleases me to no end to loan gear out to people who then catch the lightweight backpacking bug. Finally, it is fun to give gear away, usually small stuff like pots, alcohol stoves, stuff sacks, and such to scouts or friends who appreciate it. Nevertheless I do need to get rid of some of my stuff this year…for one thing, it is easier to store and easier to find when you have less stuff!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Too much gear? I'll take it off your hands and dispose it properly… because I'm just a nice guy.

Seriously though, put some of it up on the gear swap. There are many people here would love to buy gear at a discounted price.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Justin,
    You're right! I think I will make a formal "new year's" resolution to sell some more of my gear. Do you think I procrastinate?!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Or you can sell some of your gear as "spring cleaning". Perfect timing!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

All I know is that once I'm homeless because I've spent all of my money on gear, at least ill have the kit to live in the park in ultralight luxury.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I'd like to see some of the insane gear room pics. We should make a thread for that.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I only have three bags: 50f, 32f and 20f and nothing like a $500 down bag, just simple effective stuff.

I try to keep my gear under control, but I do have duplicates on pocket knives and lights, but those items are inexpensive things. I don't have a drawer full of $500 knives, for sure. 90% of my gear is second hand. The stuff that is new came from eBay, close outs or some sort of deep discount. It is a hobby in itself really. You will rarely find me in a big box store or shopping mall.

If I upgrade some gear, I sell the other to help offset the cost, so it's a kind of serial gear-matrimony :)

I do have one of everything: puffy jacket and vest, mid layer, etc, and I'm well covered for 4 seasons. I wear hiking style clothing near 365, so that gives me plenty of excuse for having a few pairs of zip off pants and nylon button down shirts. I'm pretty much an Ex Officio poster boy. You will never see me wearing a suit and tie— I think I have a blue blazer that fits and something approaching dress shoes (ick!).

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Yeah, well I just pulled the trigger on a cuben duomid. Still deciding on the inner net, but ill figure that out – I get the impression I can't really go wrong with whichever company I use. Once i have a chance to try it out, I am planning on selling either the duomid or my hexamid tent, depending on which works better for me.

At least that's how I make myself feel better about spending soooooo much money.

Ah…single professional, no kids…yeah disposable income!!!!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I dont have a gear problem.

Just a closet space problem, and a money problem.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

So how many packs and shelters and stoves is TOO many?

Now that my kit is pretty dialed in I find that I want to try out other things. Thus the duomid on order, and for absolutely no good reason I feel like pulling the trigger on an ohm 2.0.

Why, oh why????

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools