Topic

pull-on sun shirt as baselayer: does it exist?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pull-on sun shirt as baselayer: does it exist?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use a button up polyester sun shirt that works great against mosquitoes. While reading another post about the Rab Boreas, a piece that I'm totally unfamiliar with, it occurred to me that a pullover polyester base layer sun shirt that also has a tight weave against mosquitoes would be pretty nice. Does anybody know of such a piece? It wouldn't have to function as a wind shirt; in fact the more breathable the better.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

They make a 3oz 1/4 zip longsleeve called the Desert top. At this weight it probably doesn't have much bug protection.

Dave

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I use an exofficio sol cool long sleeve and an arcteryx phase sl (motus maybe?) long sleeve for the purpose you describe.

I also use a looser button down style like you on occasion too – white RR bone flats shirt is decent.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Seconded. my Arcteryx Motus is 30 SPF and extremely cool. Unreasonably cool. Feels cooler than bare skin.

No idea how it does against the ol' mesquites..

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The thing about tight weave polyester (as opposed to more elastic weave polyester) — is that you'll likely need to size up for easier pull-on / pull-off. And shirts that are too big just don't look so good…

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Have you looked at the patagonia sun hoodie? I love mine for harsh sun/wind/bug conditions.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I own a couple of sun hoodies. They're awesome shirts, but much heavier fabric (hotter) than the options I listed above.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Thanks for the responses. I use the Mountain Hardwear Canyon sun shirt, which as I said keeps mosquitoes from biting without permethrin. Also, it has a high neck collar.

The Patagonia sun hoodie looks best for me partly because I remember, from looking at the other pieces, that I like a collar to protect my neck from the sun/mosquitoes. The sun hoodie would seem to come up over the neck like a collar. Surprisingly, it's an ounce heavier than the MH Canyon shirt, but I can live with that.

Also, I like baggy for a hiking base layer, both for coolness and bugs.

It's all about the sun AND mosquitoes! Everything mentioned keeps off the sun, but no one knows for sure about mosquitoes.

I already own a great shirt; I'm just looking for perfection…i.e. a pullover that's cooler than the MH Canyon AND that is impermeable to stinkin' mosquitoes!
    With a collar!

And while I'm at it, world peace.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would just go with a loose UL polyester base layer with a mesh-ier weave in white. Ones made for running are a good place to start.

If bugs are the issue, I would give it a shot of permethrin. I have used the Sawyer spray with success. The spray leaves most of the chemical on the outside, away from my skin. The Ex Officio insect bandanas work well to keep bugs way away from face and neck, simply tied around my neck. They use permethrin too.

Solumbra is a company that makes all kinds of sun protection garments, but all the shirts are shells of some sort, with nothing like a base layer.

http://www.sunprecautions.com/shop/unisex_mens/shirts

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I will say, the Arcteryx Motus is completely non-binding. I can slip it on and off easily, it stretches more than a cotton T-shirt. It is a very, very tight weave so I suspect it will keep mosquitoes at bay but I have no first-hand experience. However, I can't tell the difference between this material and other mosquito-proof shirts.

Again, it's so cool and comfortably loose… I run in it, I use it as a baselayer, I have been very happy. It will be my "summer shirt" all summer.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Looking into it, the Arctryx Motus is up to 50 spf, lightweight and very cool. An excellent base layer.

I've got nothing against permethrin; quite the contrary I've used it many times. But I have a system now that doesn't require permethrin or deet to keep skeeters off. I just prefer that. (I'll still treat my pant cuffs with permethrin.)

Anyway, has anyone found that the Arctryx piece is impermeable to mosquitoes on it's own?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I wear arcteryx phase sl base layers drenched in permethrin.
    Not sure if that's healthy, but you only live twice right?

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I wouldn't think such exists. I agree with Ben that it would need to stretch to be a pullover (or upsize), which would also mean skeeters could bite through it. Anything that would repel skeeters naturally would also act as a windshirt.

Not sure if it's any different than the Sun Hoodie material, but their Sunshade Shirt I'm selling does not look like it would repel skeeters. It's a pullover and appears to be knit.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Its a nylon shirt but would a Rail Riders Adventure Shirt or Eco Mesh shirt meet your requirements? Vents in the side make them cooler than other nylon sun shirts, they offer both sun and bug protection, and I have found nylon to stink less than Polyester.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools