Topic

Enlightened Equipment cuben is back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened Equipment cuben is back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've been checking Tim's site every week, the cuben fiber quilts were not a priority he said. Price isn't too bad, but I'm out of gear money now. I was hoping for a much lower weight though, 17oz for 30F, 6'.
    Duane

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Well he made them bigger, added the heavier pad straps, and more standard overfill this yr.

If you want custom, Im pretty sure you can get that. He lists the wt savings for the lighter cuben options.

One thing to consider is you get a boost from the VBL effect too, at least 5F, possibly up to 10F, that isnt considered in the quilts rating.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Remember the cuben will act like a vapor barrier… no supplementing with down clothing to lower the temp rating.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"no supplementing with down clothing to lower the temp rating."

You could supplement on top of the quilt or over another VBL.

The cuben is pretty fragile stuff though. Especially the .33 stuff and around the sewn side seams. And given that its not stretchy, it's pretty easy to stress the seams and create down leak paths.

I would say you should consider one of these quilts if your primary objective is to add a VBL. But if you're just looking for a light quilt, I think there are too many trade offs to use cuben for the small advantage it offers in weight.

Others certainly have different priorities and objectives, just wanted to share mine.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

If your using it in warm weather I shudder at the thought of a cuben quilt, it would be a sweaty mess.

The 10d stuff is super light, and the NB1 is like silk.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I was doing some checking weeks ago, the original quilts were quite light and even one review here and I had contacted a member who I had bought some stuff from and asked him about his older style.
    Like other gear makers, I've noticed this winter too, that adjustments have been made to size and of course weight. I wonder if too many people who did not let us know here, had issues with the size being too small, cool or special requests? Cottage gear makers making quick adjustments to their lineup? Tim may work with someone on a custom size, ZPacks will not do anything custom temp wise. I'll have to wait now, I've spent my income tax refund on a new pack, bping shelter system and luggage for my newer motorcycle. I see ZPacks has a longer wait time now. I hope folks got their orders in a month back or more.
    Duane

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Duane,

I have one of the early EE cuben quilts without the momentum strip. I have been very happy with it. Yes it is narrow, but it fits my skinny body. I think it is rated at 32F and that is pretty accurate unless it is windy and the breeze gets under the sides.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I have a custom EE cuben quilt. I don't find it uncomfortable even in summer as it IS a quilt, so easy to adjust temps and condensation by hanging body bits out (just like I do with a regular sleeping bag BTW). I have the .33 stuff, and it is not as fragile as you might think. I have had mine over two years and it is still going strong. It is also very soft against the skin. I do get some condensation when I cinch it down for colder temps, just like you would expect from a VBL. At 12.7oz, it is definitely my go-to bag for summer, and some shoulder season use. I would say it is comfy down to 35F, and with a down balaclava (also made in cuben) it is OK below that. Of course, mine would not fit a 6-footer, so that partly accounts for the weight difference…

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Nick, good to hear from you, glad to see I'm in good company with a Hexamid.
    Lynn, another member mentioned his was around what you said the weight was, but I don't know the size he has. Yes, I was hoping for more of a weight savings, but Tim did make a larger cut I believe. I'm out of money, so no big deal, I'll just have to cool my heels. I'm happy to see I've reached UL status now, did not think I was there or would get there.
    Duane

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

my 40f RevX quilt weighs 16 oz in last yrs regular 6'

I find it so light, when opened up and spread on top, it does not smother you, it doesnt hinder ventillation, it is quite airy underneath, due to the how light it is.

I have slept comfortably under it in a house at 70F

Ive been considering a 40F cuben one to shed some wt, Im not worried at all about summer use based on the ventillating properties of my current one, it will only be lighter and better.

Jan S

@karl-ton

Okay, I gotta ask: Is 2 oz really worth drowning in your own sweat? I'm actually curious about that. Though I do suspect sometimes there is some cuben fetish at work.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

" Is 2 oz really worth drowning in your own sweat?"

Generally I find the folks who say this have never used a cuben quilt. I have three or four of them, have used all of them, and have never yet woke up wet at all, much less drowning in sweat. I also have a custom VBL quilt, made by RBH, on my bed every night when it's cool to cold, and rarely wake up sweating (only when I forget to turn off the fireplace do I wake up sweating).

I also think cuben feels better against the skin than nylon (perhaps that's part fetish, not sure…. :-)

David Erickson

@trailwolf

Lynn, you mentioned that you get some condensation when you cinch it down for colder temps. Have you ever noticed any condensation between the cuban fiber layers with the down fill? I believe the right combination of temperatures and moisture could produce this effect. My concern is that once moisture gets trapped between the cuban fiber layers that it would be difficult to remove.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"I have three or four of them"

Did you seriously lose track of how many cuben fiber quilts you have?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Did you seriously lose track of how many cuben fiber quilts you have?"

I don't keep track of stuff. I wasn't really thinking about it so didn't have the exact number off the top of my head. Now that I actually think about it, I have four, including a hammock underquilt. Had five but I recently gave one away.

Jan S

@karl-ton

"Generally I find the folks who say this have never used a cuben quilt."

I admit that not only have I never used a cuben quilt I have also never actually touched or seen it (well, except for photos on the internet of course). I can see why something like cuben is a good idea for colder temps though (as long as no condensation gets inside the bag through the seams) but I'd imagine if I had to sleep under something not breatheable in summer I'd actually drown. But maybe it's because I only wake up if a small war breaks out next to me, so I just miss getting hot during the night.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Have you ever noticed any condensation between the cuban fiber layers with the down fill? I believe the right combination of temperatures and moisture could produce this effect."

David, the quilt can condense vapour inside the down. I am pretty anal retentive about weighing my gear before and after use, so can tell you that the cuben quilt, the way I use it in cold weather, doesn't gain any more than an ordinary Pertex bag. It takes only* slightly* longer to dry as a Pertex equivalent. The most weight it has gained was after a night just above freezing, camped in basically a windy cloud (dense fog), inside a Pertex topped bivy bag. Honestly, in that condition (which I have not tested in Pertex), I suspect the cuben probably had a little advantage at slowing down accumulation of moisture from the fog.

Maybe also a fetish, but I too prefer the feel of softened cuben against my skin. I also use it on my bed sometimes…no sweaty problem at all.

Jan S

@karl-ton

Hmm, now I have to order some cuben to see it for myself and make stuff sacks and maybe VBL underwear from. I blame all of you should I then feel the need to get a cuben quilt, tent and pack ;-)

David Erickson

@trailwolf

Lynn, perhaps I am being overly concerned. I don't plan on using the quilt foggy or freezing temps, but one can never knows what mother nature has in store. I initially got excited about the water-resistance of cuben fiber to protect the down from moisture, but then after further research into vapor barriers I got concerned about the water-resistance of cuben fiber actually serving to trap the moisture in the down. Not having any actual experience with cuben fiber quilts myself, I can only speculate and gleen what I can from those with experience. It's quite a wad of doe to lay down for a cuben fiber quilt.

Thanks!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Underwear Jan?:)
    I have the pack, shelter, bivy, next would be a bag or quilt. Hoping my bivy and minimal shelter will work. I can always use my compactor bag and Gram Weinie anorak for extra protection if I get hit by a thunder storm. My extra funds for getting more old stoves was used on the new gear, it better work out.
    Duane

Jan S

@karl-ton

"Underwear Jan?:)"

Of course. It solves the problem of using fluffy clothes under a cuben quilt and – should the fetish part actually come to happen – also makes … happy ;)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools