Topic

Recent Developments in Canister Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Recent Developments in Canister Stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Gary Lawton
    Spectator

@trailcred

The Fire Maple stoves featured in this article appear similar to ones sold under the name Olicamp in the United States. Am I correct to assume they are the same?

http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/product.asp?p=30907&c=2081

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

yes

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Of course not!
    The Olicamp ones are BLUE! That obviously makes them ever so much better…
    :-)

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

The Fire Maple Hornet (or "Wasp" as it apparently says on the box when the stove arrives) is being sold as the Ion Micro in the US.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi all

Ever wondered what a BPL article would look like in Chinese??
    Well, wonder no longer! This article has been translated into Chinese and published in the Chinese Outdoor magazine.

StoveDevelopments 5366 article

A staff member at Fire Maple asked for permission to republish in the Chinese Outdoor magazine. I said OK subject to acknowledgement being made to BPL. As you can see by the text under the photo, that was done. Not sure they have ever republished anything else from the West like this.

Cheers

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Roger, do you have CO measurements for the FMS-117 and 118? I would guess they are similar to the 116t but your articles have taught me not to take such things for granted.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jeremy

> CO measurements for the FMS-117 and 118
    Sorry, no direct measurements. Yes, I would expect them to be the same as for the 116T as they actually have the same burner head.

The 116T makes a little bit of CO at the start as the burner-pot clearance is low and there are those cold Ti pot supports in the flame, doing a bit of quenching. Once they heat up the CO is tolerable. There are some graphs of this in Part 3 of the latest 'Evolution of a Winter Stove' series – due out in a couple of weeks. You should always have adequate ventilation of course.

Edit: Part 3

Cheers

stephen korpi
    Spectator

@skmountainshop-net

Locale: Portland Oregon

After months of waiting, we finally received our Olicamp Ion Microstoves, which is the Fire Maple 300T. I placed the Olicamp XTS pot, which is the Fire Maple FMC-XK6, and I found it to be very unstable. The three swing out pot supports provide only 2mm of space between their contact points and the inside of the heat exchanger. With care, one can rest the pot on the pot supports inside the HE ring, but I would have some concerns with a hot stove and full pot. The Optimus Terra Weekend HE was a little better, but if this stove does indeed rely on a "vortex" effect, this pot adds 15mm between the stove head and pot bottom.

Disclaimer: I work at an awesome outdoor shop

stephen korpi
    Spectator

@skmountainshop-net

Locale: Portland Oregon

I emailed the designer at Liberty Mountain, who is the distributor of the Fire Maple stoves under the Olicamp name in the US, he said that the Ion Micro Stove is designed to fit inside of the HE ring on the Olicamp XTS pot. Because the width of the pot supports are slightly larger than the inside of the HE ring, you have to angle the pot slightly in order to place it on the stove, which is a little odd. It is possible that it will get easier with practice, but I have my concerns.
    I also inquired if they would be importing the FMS-118 as a winter stove. There is a possibility they may replace their Xcelerator stove with this one. But, he indicated that in his testing, he has not seen any performance difference with the addition of the generator tube.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> the FMS-118 as a winter stove. There is a possibility they may replace their
    > Xcelerator stove with this one. But, he indicated that in his testing, he has
    > not seen any performance difference with the addition of the generator tube.

His comment, as reported, puzzles me slightly. If he is talking about operation in 'warm' weather, then he is obviously correct and no-one would expect otherwise. But if he is talking about operation at 10 F, then he does not have a clue. I suspect the former, although it may also be that he has little experience in seriously cold conditions. I don't know.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools