Topic

Cheap base layer tops: the marathon shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap base layer tops: the marathon shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's a tip for getting cheap lightweight base layer tops. It is common to get a shirt as part of the package when you register for running events. I see the cast offs in thrift stores in any large city that hosts events like marathons, 5k's, charity fun runs, etc. Some of the tops are brands like Brooks or Asics and others are promo house brands. They all seem to have decent wicking polyster fabric. The caveat is that many are real walking billboards for the sponsors. The upside is that you can get a shirt for $2-$3 and scoff at sharp branches and thorns.

I found this one today for $3. It is 6.6oz in XL size and not too bad on the front.Marathon shirt

Everyone got their ad on the back though:
    Marathon shirt

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

That's pretty much the entirety of my hiking apparel!!Marathon shirt

The red is a chicago marathon shirt, the long sleeve white under is courtesy of a turkey trot. All great synthetics, all free.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

I will never buy new or retail any baselayer tops.There is always a supply of tops and fleece at thrift stores.I have too many patagonia tops and must stop buying them.Of course the bigger the city,the better the supply-i am in LA.Baselayer bottoms,never see them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Free is good. Well maybe not a free wooden boat, but free shirts rock :) There's no chance of me running a marathon, so it's off to the thrift store with me.

In fact, when I think about running, I lie down until the feeling passes.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Baselayer bottoms,never see them."

They probably don't sell many *new* long johns in Southern California. I find them now and then, but nothing like tops.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

and you might actually try a marathon at the same time ;)

$$$$$ base layers are one of the biggest wastes of money IMO …

you arent going to sweat more than someone running a full marathon =P

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools