Topic

Buyers regret, Easton Kilo 3P vs. Tarptent Cloudburst 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Buyers regret, Easton Kilo 3P vs. Tarptent Cloudburst 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

I regularly head over to tarptent.com to see what Henry is up to. I have 2 Tarptents now, and have had others over the years and have loved the balance of livability and light weight. The durability has even been surprisingly good too.

A 30% discount on an Easton Kilo 3p recently drove me to buy one spontaneously (which means 3 days of consideration and research for me, I'm not spontaneous for these types of purchases ;). I haven't had a chance to pitch or live in it yet, but I just noticed yesterday that tarptent.com has come up with a new 3 person tent that looks like a minimalist's palace ! http://tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

After initial buyers regret, I glimmer of the ideal came to mind…. " what if I could find Easton carbon Ion poles (unbeatable strength to weight) for the Cloudburst 3, I'd shave at least 4 ounces (100+grams) off the packweight, and then have a 3 person tent well below 3 pounds, or 400grams per person….

Now I have something to strive for again ;)

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Interested to see what you can do with the poles.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If you can return the Easton do so and fwt the Cb3, I would not bother with the cf pole.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If you can find the Ion poles for sale separately from a reliable seller, please let us know (after you've got yours, of course).

If not, PM me, and I can suggest a solution that is as good or better than the Ions.
    Or you can read some of my more recent posts about MYOG carbon poles on MYOG.
    If you can wait till the fall, I might even be willing to make you a pair.
    Good luck!

P.S. Please do not take this as an endorsement of FibraPlex poles. It is not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools